When Sliced Bread was Banned in the US

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Here's some useless historical trivia for you all.

On January 18, 1943 the Agriculture department banned the commercial use of bread slicers in a misguided attempt to help bakers save money on production costs. Bread companies saw an almost immediate drop in sales so the move actually cost them more money. It was so unpopular nation wide that the ban was rescinded March 8, 1943.

1943 - Sliced Bread Banned by the United States

I had a teacher in high school that had a hobby about learning the retarded laws that are in this country........past and present.

We learned a lot.

In Texas, its still illegal to spit on the sidewalk.
Thank you, Texas. Spitting on the sidewalk should be illegal in every state. Why do you want and support the people who spit on the sidewalk? Are you also in favor of defecation on the sidewalk too?

Yes it was.
Because people loved pre-sliced bread because it saved them time and effort.
Plus, the bread slices were all perfectly even and the same thickness.

blahhh, naw.. just find a wife who can handle a knife and you're good. i long for the old days!

BTW - toasting bread. Using a toaster severely dries the bread out. Try toasting bread in a lightly buttered frying pan on medium heat. You will develop a nice crips/browned crust, but the inside will still be soft, not dry and hard.
:)

Thank you, Texas. Spitting on the sidewalk should be illegal in every state. Why do you want and support the people who spit on the sidewalk? Are you also in favor of defecation on the sidewalk too?

This law was made "way back when", to avoid people from stepping in cowboy and farmer spit.......which was usually wads of chewed up tobacco.

blahhh, naw.. just find a wife who can handle a knife and you're good. i long for the old days!

Gave up this handy-dandy when I quit eating grain.

iu

When I was diagnosed with diabetes, I was supposed to give up everything except "rabbit food".

Of course, I TRIED................it didn't work. LOL

I like breads with stuff in them, like nuts and seeds. Keto bread is pretty good, its just expensive as hell.

Found a shelf bread I like though.......nice and soft, and not "white".
I don't eat much of it, and one loaf will last me a few months. And literally, over the past several years, I've only had two loaves go moldy on me. So it does last a while sitting on the counter.

I've found putting it in the fridge dries it out badly. So I just keep it in its bag on the counter.

product_soft_honeywheat_890x1000px_0.png

Spend a few months in China.

There is this country store I go to sometimes that has fresh baked loaf bread. They slice it if you ask, but they almost seem offended if you don't ask. It is like they are shocked when someone doesn't ask and are afraid to let you out the door without it being sliced. No idea why. I just like it so I can slice myself. I think store-bread slices are too thin, but that may be because I like my sammies open-faced.

I love white sliced bread! toasted and warm with butter and jaml! hmmmm

It should never be banned again LOL!

Those spongy, starchy, tasteless, squares that come in a plastic bag under the brands Wonder or Nature's Own, can only be called "bread" by a VERY liberal interpretation of the word.

It's basically Soylent White.

Forum List

Back