When does human life begin?

Maybe there is just no one, "correct answer" to this. How about we agree on that?

But we have to draw a line in the sand anyway. We don't have much choice but to all agree on that.

For now, that constitutionally protected "line in the sand" is at 24 weeks gestation.

Why 24 weeks? Because a lot of scientists gave opinions on the progression of a fetus, and that was the line agreed upon. An ethical decision, informed by science.
And when Roe v Wade gets overturned based on an arbitrary and capricious line in the sand that determination will revert back to the states.

Keith L. Moore, The Developing Human: Clinically Oriented Embryology, 7th edition. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders, 2003. pp. 16, 2.
"Human life begins at fertilization" is not the same as when does the embryo become human.

So we're back to the original proposition that the claim that the embryo is human at preconception is every bit as valid as the the claim it begins at conception.

Either are just opinions based on personal beliefs and neither should be encoded into law.

Maybe there is just no one, "correct answer" to this. How about we agree on that?

But we have to draw a line in the sand anyway. We don't have much choice but to all agree on that.

For now, that constitutionally protected "line in the sand" is at 24 weeks gestation.

Why 24 weeks? Because a lot of scientists gave opinions on the progression of a fetus, and that was the line agreed upon. An ethical decision, informed by science.
I'm more than willing to meet in the middle. Pretty sure the other side is the issue.

"Human life begins at fertilization" is not the same as when does the embryo become human.

So we're back to the original proposition that the claim that the embryo is human at preconception is every bit as valid as the the claim it begins at conception.

Either are just opinions based on personal beliefs and neither should be encoded into law.
You are cracking me up.

Human is the issue.
When does the fetus become human being as opposed to something else?

As for doctrine? Where in the bible does it speak about sperm and egg, zygote, fetus?
I like looking at the simple difference that until the egg becomes fertilized there is no new life prior to that point of conception. Scientifically of course there are stages even three distinctive stages when it comes to fertilization, if one wants to break it down. We humans have an innate need to organize, classify, specify, simplify, which in a perfect world would work well. Human evolution has a long way to go to prefect order without disrupting order. Currently, most efforts made to reach consensus fail, including scientific determination of exact point of where new life is created. The only moral way that humans should be creating life is through natural procreation. The exact hour is hard to pinpoint, but it’s defined as a zygote. A human zygote cannot form without the male and female biological determinants (but back to the “mad scientists” in their labs, who knows what’s going on across the globe).

Arbitrary and capricious. SCOTUS won't have any appetite for those arguments. I certainly don't. It just makes you look like a nazi.
You have much more confidence and faith in SCOTUS than I do.

Last edited:
Until we know that every man and fertile woman is fully informed about how fertilization occurs, we cannot reproach those who ignorantly fall into a pregnancy that should not carry through. Until we know that fertile women have the capacity to fully understand the consequences of bringing another human into being, an avenue should be available for rectifying an error. Until there is a system to pay for prenatal life and the post natal care/adoption phase is assured, preventing choice is hypocritical and cruel.

preventing choice is hypocritical and cruel
I choose to eliminate unwanted black Yutes who are very likely to bring misery and suffering to millions of innocent folks. Thank you for recognizing and respecting my choice

It's a human life AT CONCEPTION. There is no compromise with innocent human life

Forum List

Back