When do "entitlements" go too far?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ShaklesOfBigGov, Oct 20, 2011.

1. ShaklesOfBigGov

ShaklesOfBigGov Restore the Republic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,313
    I wanted to create a thread that focuses on the subject centered around government "entitlements". The left appears to quickly jump on the band wagon of receiving more government "entitlements", as long as they aren't the ones that have to pay for it. Attempting to cut entitlement spending to balance the budget also seems to create quite an angry stir, just look at the violence that's erupting in Greece for example. There are a few questions that I'd would like to have discussed on this subject.

For those that support government "entitlements" is there a limit to how many entitlements, or how much, an individual ought to receive? Health care, a home, retirement . . . how much is enough?

Is there really a "justification" in having the rich pay for the bill, while others simply receive from the government?

Does it really help an individual towards, or does it enable them from, working to achieve a better way of life for themselves? I came across this article that raised a lot of these questions, about individuals who look to receive what they feel the Federal Government ought to provide.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. ShaklesOfBigGov

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,313
    Why do liberals desire to see huge cuts in military spending, but don't want to see any government entitlements like social security touched or reformed into personal investment accounts? If the national debt and spending MUST be reduced, we must look at entitlements like social security. We can't continue to add government entitlements, like government healthcare, without adding to an even larger national debt that we simply can not afford. To have the Rich pay for the American Jobs Act, and the National Debt, and Health Care, and any loss in Social Security will not be enough. Eventually Democrats will have to pass that bill down to the middle class in the form of increased taxes.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  3. Lakhota

Lakhota Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,967
    Workers didn't contribute to defense/military like they paid into Social Security and Medicare their entire working lives via payroll taxes. So how can they be compared for spending cuts?

4. ClosedCaption

ClosedCaption Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,155
    Al Gore wanted a lock box and was mocked for it.

I think we should be like other industrialized nations and have free healthcare as well as education. A home? No one is suggesting that at all.

If welfare makes one lazy then Israel has to be the laziest of all, but that reasoning doesnt sit well with the Republican worship of Israel.

I believe if you give a man a crutch that doesnt mean he loses the will to walk, it's temporary. Some people are ok with using a crutch for the rest of their lives but that is the exception, not the rule. For some reason tho, repubs like to point at the exceptions as proof of widespread abuse. I.E. voter fraud, welfare drug testing, using abortion as birth control etc.

5. ShaklesOfBigGov

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,313
    Why are Americans forced into programs like social security by the government? Each generation that enters the work force don't believe that social security will be there when they get older. The Federal Government only seems to offer a "band-aid" (like raising the retirement age in hopes fewer people will be able to collect) and no real solutions in making sure there are enough funds to support those that reach retirement. I'd rather support private retirement accounts. I know I can do a lot better at planning my retirement than the Federal Government.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  6. Soggy in NOLA

Soggy in NOLA Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,415
    If you pay income taxes, you contribute to defense.... oh wait....

Never mind.

:lol:

7. Rozman

Rozman Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,687

The biggest problem we have in this country is knowledge of the facts...
    Free healthcare/free education is one of them...
    The left thinks of them as free...
    They are not

SOMEONE HAS TO PAY FOR THEM........:evil:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  8. 9thIDdoc

9thIDdoc Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,667
    I was not given a choice. A lot of my earnings were simply stolen in exchange for the benifits I am now due to recieve. And now you want the government to fail to honor its' part of the contract?
    Are you suicidal? Is the government?

9. The T

The T George S. Patton Party Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    What USED TO BE A REPUBLIC RUN BY TYRANTS
    Ratings:
    +5,502
    What the fuck are you babbling about? Ever looked at a tax return?

10. ClosedCaption

ClosedCaption Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,155
    Point made, but my point still stands