When did the Cold War actually start?

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
If you could nail down one event that started the Cold War, what would it be?

This is a question that is debated heavily amongst Americanists. Some argue that it began in 1917 with the October Revolution, Some argue that the Korean War actually kicked it off. There are many different answers: Potsdam, "Iron Curtain" speech, Berlin Airlift. Any opinions on what actually kicked it off?

This is a question that is debated heavily amongst Americanists. Some argue that it began in 1917 with the October Revolution, Some argue that the Korean War actually kicked it off. There are many different answers: Potsdam, "Iron Curtain" speech, Berlin Airlift. Any opinions on what actually kicked it off?

Cold war meaning what ? The battle of communist vs capitalist ideology ?

Cold war meaning what ? The battle of communist vs capitalist ideology ?

Lets go with this definition:

The Cold War was the state of conflict, tension and competition that existed between the United States and the Soviet Union (USSR) and their respective allies.(source: wikipedia, modified for cause)

Lets go with this definition:

The Cold War was the state of conflict, tension and competition that existed between the United States and the Soviet Union (USSR) and their respective allies.(source: wikipedia, modified for cause)

Then my opinion would be during WWII when it became obvious that the Nazis were going to lose. The scramble for the spoils of war.

Then my opinion would be during WWII when it became obvious that the Nazis were going to lose. The scramble for the spoils of war.

But the outcome of Yalta was fairly favorable to the Soviet Union. FDR had a great relationship with "Uncle Joe" and was willing to allow reparations that never came due to FDR's death. FDR was perfectly willing to concede those spoils to Stalin.

But the outcome of Yalta was fairly favorable to the Soviet Union. FDR had a great relationship with "Uncle Joe" and was willing to allow reparations that never came due to FDR's death. FDR was perfectly willing to concede those spoils to Stalin.

While at the same time fighting for access to Nazi scientists and technology.

Why? At that point we were still allied with the USSR and the USSR was actively making war against Japan.

Absolutely right, but by bombing Japan we showed the Soviets what we were capable of. This led to the arms race and tension between the two nations. In my opinion, of course.

Absolutely right, but by bombing Japan we showed the Soviets what we were capable of. This led to the arms race and tension between the two nations. In my opinion, of course.

Then your position would be better based on the Potsdam Conference, when Truman all but threatened Stalin with the bomb.

I'd say it started sometime between the end of WWII and James Forrestal's "suicide."

Not being up on my WW1 history, I would say it started during the Allied conquest of Germany. There was quite a bit of tension between Russia and the US, and we didn't exactly clink glasses in Berlin.

Personally I believe the Berlin Airlift is when the Cold War actually began. It was the first time that the forces of the US and USSR squared off. A military shutdown of East Berlin resupplied by western Allies by air across USSR airspace. The only reason it didn't start a hot war is the fact that at the time the US was the only power to possess the bomb.

Personally I believe the Berlin Airlift is when the Cold War actually began. It was the first time that the forces of the US and USSR squared off. A military shutdown of East Berlin resupplied by western Allies by air across USSR airspace. The only reason it didn't start a hot war is the fact that at the time the US was the only power to possess the bomb.

Semantics--we were already spying on each other. Stalin was left with no allies so he walled Russian controlled territory in. Berlin was part of it. He trusted no one.

I would say that the first fractures came between Jalta and Potsdam.
It became a "Cold War" during Berlins blockade.
However, it was a very uneasy alliance to start with.

Stalin saw the Nukes of Japan and the following surrender of Japan to the US as a fait accompli which he grudingly respected, he almost instantly turned over to masterminding soviet/communist domination of China.

Them Chi-Comms definitly liked getting all the Weapons the Red army got the Kwantung army.

I have to agree with the previous posters. The bombing of Hiroshima and the Nazis not finishing off Russia more than likely started the Cold War.

The cold war started in 1959 when the Soviets sent Sputnik around the world and the average American Joe suddenly and overnight felt quite vulnerable in his own home.

-Joe

Forum List

Back