When did history end?

oldfart

Older than dirt
Nov 5, 2009
Redneck Riviera
My observation is that most people divide all that has gone before into two eras: what they can remember from about age 10 on; and ancient history. They usually have a petty good idea about sequence of events and frames of reference for the first era but not much on the second. So my generation knows that the Gulf of Tonkin resolution came before the Tet offensive, but my grandchildren have no clue.

So when did history end for you; when did personal recollection begin to provide a frame of reference? What events do you remember from the interface?

My observation is that most people divide all that has gone before into two eras: what they can remember from about age 10 on; and ancient history. They usually have a petty good idea about sequence of events and frames of reference for the first era but not much on the second. So my generation knows that the Gulf of Tonkin resolution came before the Tet offensive, but my grandchildren have no clue.

So when did history end for you; when did personal recollection begin to provide a frame of reference? What events do you remember from the interface?

My first recollection of history effecting me personally was when Sputnik went up and suddenly our recess time was cut in half.

I think the issue is written history vs the history you lived

As a kid I read the newspaper every day as well as watch the news at night. I was well aware of politics, Civil Rights and VietNam. Others my age could not care less about current events

Your living history is also augmented by your parents and grandparents who give you their recollections of major events in their lives

The rest comes from books

history lecture was one of my favorite things.

In college I had one proff that was killer good at making lecture really great.

The man knew his stuff and could just impart it sooo well.

Forum List

Back