What Would Jesus Do?

GunnyL said:
My take on his posts is his religious brethren are completely innocent of wrongdoing since violence is a completely acceptable response to disagreeign with someone exercising any freedom of speech that DARES ridicule their oh-so-precious religion.

I'm thinking the same thing. But give him/her time, maybe we're being hasty and overly judgemental.

All I can say is it's a damned good thing the overwhelming majority of Christians don't respond to ridicule in such a manner or there'd be a lot of burned-down buildings around here..... :flameth:

Or at least flamming threads. Is that a pun? :D

Or how about a picture of a Rabbi with blood dripping from his mouth after bludgeoning a small Palestinian boy with a knife shaped like the Star of David

If ONLY such a thing could be REAL. (sigh).

nkml said:
Picture this: A cartoon of Jesus, with his pants down, smiling, raping a little boy. The caption above it reads “Got Catholicism?” Or how about a picture of a Rabbi with blood dripping from his mouth after bludgeoning a small Palestinian boy with a knife shaped like the Star of David—the caption reads “The Devil’s Chosen Ones.”

I wonder if people around the world would just consider this free speech? Of course, some would condone or agree with one, two or all three, while others would say “it’s free speech,” although they “find it offensive and in poor taste.” But do you honestly think media outlets such as the BBC, Le Monde, or any media outlet in Copenhagen would pick up these cartoons? The outrage would begin instantly and advertisers would pullout. Yet, those in Denmark and their supporters around Europe call it freedom of speech to have a cartoon of the prophet Mohammed—who is not supposed be depicted to prevent idolatry according to clerical interpretation of the Koran—with a turban shaped like a bomb on his head.

The double standard the West has set for the rest of the world is disgusting. We live in a foolish bubble where we think we are free to say or do whatever we want without consequence. I remember watching Saturday Night Live when Sinead O’Connor ripped up a picture of the Pope. The furor was enormous, which led to NBC receiving a 2.5 million dollar fine by the Federal Communications Commission. Imagine if it was a picture of Jesus—the US Congress would have made the Teri Schiavo intervention look like a joke.

Where are the pictures of the dead soldiers, the dead women and children in the Western media? Some governments won’t allow it and other media outlets just fear the backlash. When I need journalistic honesty, I have to turn to Al Jazeera, why is that? One cannot even deny the Holocaust in Europe, question 9/11 in America (unless you want the Ward Churchill treatment), but the West claims they’re all about free speech.

It is no coincidence the Israeli/Palestinian conflict is grossly pro-Israeli. It is no coincidence that you never heard the full quotes of Iranian president Ahmadinejad’s comments on Israel and the Holocaust—no matter the basis. And it is no coincidence that Arab analysts who are against the war in Iraq, the occupation of Palestine, and America’s “war on terror” are insufficiently represented in the European press.

So what are Muslims to do? Violence is out of the question—that would be “an overreaction.” So why not boycott? That would be a mistake as well, according to the European Justice Commissioner Franco Frattini who stated, “Calls for boycotts or for restraints on the freedom of the press are completely unacceptable.” What Frattini meant to say is that Muslims should choose capitalism over faith. Maybe the European Union will clarify through a cartoon—Mohammed selling the Koran for ten bucks in a Danish pawn shop. But boycotting is a friend of the West. However, they more conveniently title it “sanctions.” I’m sure we all remember the 500,000 Iraqi women and children that died because of the UN boycotts on Iraq after the first Gulf War.

Is Europe is willing to continue this new trend against boycotts? Will the European community call on Israel to show Paradise Now in non-independent theatres? It’s the only way to stop the boycott of Palestinian freedom of speech. Will the European Union resume aide to the Hamas-led Palestinian government tomorrow? Since Hamas’ call for the destruction of Israel is protected under the clause of freedom of speech and the group stopped suicide attacks 18 months ago, it only seems logical.

If Denmark, Norway, France, Germany and the rest of Europe believe in the freedom of speech, it should include all instances and all religions. These nations are carelessly defending their hypocrisy and reinforcing the double standard that alienates Muslims and desecrates the Muslim faith, under the guise of free speech. I guess only one question remains for small Norwegian Christian newspapers like Magazinet that reprinted the cartoons: What would Jesus do?

I agree with the hypocrisy involved in censorship becuase the US certainly has it's own things that ARE censored. The result of breaking our censorship laws is a fine or jail time.
If muslims cannot find a way to react to an insult without violence, they eventually will be islolated.

It's called free enterprise. In most western countries, there are no legal penalties for printing pretty much whatever the hell you want (exceptions in the case of National Defense (supposedly), inciting violence, etc.). However, there are other penalties. In America, printing cartoons like you described above would be considered offensive and appalling (in bad taste at the very least) and the newspaper would lose a lot of customers. Thus, they try to stick to things that don't offend their customers. Yeah, those cartoons were in pretty poor taste, but why should you care? Just don't give them any business and move on.

as violent is unfair. No Muslim I know condones violence or terrorism. I'm curious how many actual Muslims most of the people putting down Islam here know?

And from my perspective as a Hindu, Islam and Christianity are nearly identical religions--when they fight with each other it doesn't look much different from Protestants fighting with Catholics. They are branches from the same tree, which began with Judaism. All 3 are violent when compared with Hinduism and Buddhism. When it comes to the "war" between Christianity and Islam, there's no doubt who "started it": the violent, self-righteous, and often anti-Semitic Christians who led the 1st crusade in the 11th century.

Also, as an Indian, I have little reason to defend Islam. The Muslim invasion of India around 1000 A.D. was very destructive to Hinduism--the only invasion that India didn't successfully "digest," unlike the Huns and all previous invaders. Both my parents' families were forced to leave Pakistan, giving up all their property, when it became a Muslim state. So I speak only out of fairness, not out of any bias towards Muslims.

Many people here are talking about violence as if only Muslims engage in it.

The U.S. is so violent that homicide is the #2 cause of death for teenagers. Homicide isn't a meaningful cause of death in any other industrialized country.

You're far safer on the streets of Delhi than the streets of a U.S. city. Our rape and murder rates should be an embarrassment, what to say of our rates of physical and sexual abuse of children.

We're the world's number 1 arms merchant--weapons are our biggest export. We have about enough guns in this country to arm every American--and that doesn't count our military weaponry, which is the world's largest arsenal. We have more nuclear weapons than the rest of the world combined.

Our next biggest export is Hollywood entertainment--much of which glorifies violence obscenely.

I'd say Americans seem to be utterly obsessed with violence--perhaps because the country was founded on such violence, towards the Native Americans and the Africans kidnapped and enslaved.

Al Qaeda killed 3000 Americans in 2001. Homicide kills 30,000 Americans every single year.

Nkml has a good point about the difficulty that many Americans have looking at our country with an open mind. He is also right that simply portraying Muhammed breaks an Islamic rule about religious images, and Westerners should perhaps be sensitive to that when drawing cartoons.

We too readily see only the positive while glossing over our very serious mistakes. To our credit, we do usually get to the truth, which is certainly better than most places. And, I agree with those here who say that imagining Jesus committing child rape is a bit more insulting than imagining him with a bomb. If Jesus were portrayed with a bomb in a Muslim cartoon, I doubt Christians would raise much of a hue and cry--they'd likely consider it protected free speech.

Mariner.

Mariner said:
as violent is unfair. No Muslim I know condones violence or terrorism. I'm curious how many actual Muslims most of the people putting down Islam here know?

And from my perspective as a Hindu, Islam and Christianity are nearly identical religions--when they fight with each other it doesn't look much different from Protestants fighting with Catholics. They are branches from the same tree, which began with Judaism. All 3 are violent when compared with Hinduism and Buddhism. When it comes to the "war" between Christianity and Islam, there's no doubt who "started it": the violent, self-righteous, and often anti-Semitic Christians who led the 1st crusade in the 11th century.

Also, as an Indian, I have little reason to defend Islam. The Muslim invasion of India around 1000 A.D. was very destructive to Hinduism--the only invasion that India didn't successfully "digest," unlike the Huns and all previous invaders. Both my parents' families were forced to leave Pakistan, giving up all their property, when it became a Muslim state. So I speak only out of fairness, not out of any bias towards Muslims.

Many people here are talking about violence as if only Muslims engage in it.

The U.S. is so violent that homicide is the #2 cause of death for teenagers. Homicide isn't a meaningful cause of death in any other industrialized country.

You're far safer on the streets of Delhi than the streets of a U.S. city. Our rape and murder rates should be an embarrassment, what to say of our rates of physical and sexual abuse of children.

We're the world's number 1 arms merchant--weapons are our biggest export. We have about enough guns in this country to arm every American--and that doesn't count our military weaponry, which is the world's largest arsenal. We have more nuclear weapons than the rest of the world combined.

Our next biggest export is Hollywood entertainment--much of which glorifies violence obscenely.

I'd say Americans seem to be utterly obsessed with violence--perhaps because the country was founded on such violence, towards the Native Americans and the Africans kidnapped and enslaved.

Al Qaeda killed 3000 Americans in 2001. Homicide kills 30,000 Americans every single year.

Nkml has a good point about the difficulty that many Americans have looking at our country with an open mind. He is also right that simply portraying Muhammed breaks an Islamic rule about religious images, and Westerners should perhaps be sensitive to that when drawing cartoons.

We too readily see only the positive while glossing over our very serious mistakes. To our credit, we do usually get to the truth, which is certainly better than most places. And, I agree with those here who say that imagining Jesus committing child rape is a bit more insulting than imagining him with a bomb. If Jesus were portrayed with a bomb in a Muslim cartoon, I doubt Christians would raise much of a hue and cry--they'd likely consider it protected free speech.

Mariner.

Christianity and Islam are nearly identical? :wtf:

Not even close, or your house'd be burned down.

my house will be burned down"... now would that be a violent Muslim or a violent Christian talking?

Yes, when compared with an entirely different religious system like Hinduism or Buddhism, the three Middle-Eastern religions do seem nearly identical. Each one subscribes to essentially the same jealous God who doesn't tolerate "false idols." Both Christianity and Islam are aggressive in evangelizing (Christianity more so), willing to destroy indigenous religions around the world "for their own good." Each is very self-righteous and sure of itself. All have very similar cosmologies and ethical concepts. The differences are mainly at the level of ritual, not belief.

Historically speaking, they couldn't be closer. Jesus was a Jew who started an offshoot religion. Muhammed considered Jesus the latest prophet before himself in the long line of Jewish prophets. And they're all fighting over the same real estate in Israel--with equal zealotry.

It goes without saying that all of them also offer hope and spiritual guidance to millions of people, and that plenty of good has been done in the world by each.

Mariner.

Mariner said:
my house will be burned down"... now would that be a violent Muslim or a violent Christian talking?

Yes, when compared with an entirely different religious system like Hinduism or Buddhism, the three Middle-Eastern religions do seem nearly identical. Each one subscribes to essentially the same jealous God who doesn't tolerate "false idols." Both Christianity and Islam are aggressive in evangelizing (Christianity more so), willing to destroy indigenous religions around the world "for their own good." Each is very self-righteous and sure of itself. All have very similar cosmologies and ethical concepts. The differences are mainly at the level of ritual, not belief.

Historically speaking, they couldn't be closer. Jesus was a Jew who started an offshoot religion. Muhammed considered Jesus the latest prophet before himself in the long line of Jewish prophets. And they're all fighting over the same real estate in Israel--with equal zealotry.

It goes without saying that all of them also offer hope and spiritual guidance to millions of people, and that plenty of good has been done in the world by each.

Mariner.

are you black and am i wearing a hood? sorry i couldn't resist

having a little trouble with people making fun of Islam for violence when even the most cursory glance at Christian history shows it to be equally violent. The Inquisition, anyone? Several hundred years of ultra-politically-correct Dark Ages, where saying the wrong thing would get you burned at the stake as a heretic? Religious wars between Christian factions in Europe that often persisted for decades at a time? The IRA terrorist campaign against the British, which killed more people than 9/11?

Read historian Karen Armstrong's book "Holy Wars" and you'll see what I mean. Just because Christians are currently feeling more peacable doesn't mean much--after all, they started the conflict with the Crusades, and Muslims have every right to look back over that history and say "Christians are violent and bad."

It's bothering me that "us versus them" is precisely what bin Laden set out to exacerbate via his attacks on 9/11. He was absoutely explicit about this. Therefore people labelling Islam or Muslims in general as "bad" are playing directly into his hands, doing exactly what he hoped for. The answer has to be the right balance of strength, tolerance, forgiveness, and fairness, not an ever-escalating "us versus them" polarity. I'm not sure why so many people here at USMB don't see that.

It's a few radical Muslims making them all look bad, a tiny minority. It makes no sense to paint all the hundreds of millions of them with a broad brush of badness.

Mariner.

have misunderstood you--did you mean that if I were a Hindu living in a predominantly Muslim country I'd be less well treated than a Hindu in a mainly Christian country?

If that's what you meant, I apologize for reading your house-burning comment as a threat,

Mariner.

This was a really intresting thread. I must say that Mariner put some intresting facts up here.

Another thing that I think is worth mentioning is this:
Denmark had no reason to "test" the freedom of speech. They have freedom of speech - period. So what they did was a deliberate insult which gave the hate-lovers in every country/religion some more fuel for their hate.

I think US comment to the event was good. With the power of media comes a great responability too.

nkml said:
Firstly please respect me as a Muslim and don't start insulting my Prophet.

Secondly, NBC received a 2.5 million dollar fine, did the Danish newspaper pay anything? No, did the Danish government do anything? No, no fines nothing, instead they insult our intelligence by saying that this is a freedom of speech, which is clearly not the case when the same Danish newspaper (JP) refused to publish cartoons of Jesus.

OH:, I SEEEEEEEEE

You can describe a picture of Jesus raping a boy, or a Rabbi murdering one, and its ok. But when a poster says the same thing about Mohamed, SUDDENLY YOU ARE OFFENDED AND SAY YOU ARE INSULTED. DID ANYONE HERE CLAIM YOU INSULTED OUR RELIGOUS LEADER?

Im sorry, but YOUR DOUBLE standard is obvious.

Now, this is a battle of ideas and words. The musliims take it to violence, we dont, THATS THE DIFFERENCE.

Now, my opinion, supported by facts are that mohamed is a phrophet of satan, is a pedophile war mongering maniac. Care to criticize Jesus, go ahead. I will only smile and laugh, why? Because I will know you are wrong. Maybe Muslims are so violent about this because its a LITTLE TOO TRUE what the cartoons are depicting??? HMMMMMMM????????

Just a guy said:
This was a really intresting thread. I must say that Mariner put some intresting facts up here.

Another thing that I think is worth mentioning is this:
Denmark had no reason to "test" the freedom of speech. They have freedom of speech - period. So what they did was a deliberate insult which gave the hate-lovers in every country/religion some more fuel for their hate.

I think US comment to the event was good. With the power of media comes a great responability too.

The responsability of media is to make sure what they present if FACTUAL, not to abstain from insulting, if what insults is factual and true, and isnt put in for the SOLE purpose of causing rioting.

What about the outcry about the Koran flushing episode? IT TURNED OUT TO NOT EVEN BE TRUE. THAT my friend is non responsable journalism. You claim Denmark already has freedom of speech? Well, according the the muslims, it seems they dont.

You claim the cartoon gave the hate-lovers more fuel? Ok, then that means the ones causing violence right now were already haters, just got some fuel. Well, its good to know that their "hate" is being exposed, so I would say the cartoons are doing a GREAT WORLDWIDE SERVICE EXPOSING THEM. You even claimed they are haters.

The basic difference is this, as the original poster claimed, if NBC showed something offensive to the American public at large, the advertisers (who represent the people) would pull out. A wholly LEGAL and NON VIOLENT response. The muslims on the other hand, want to use VIOLENCE AND FORCE, to IMPOSE their will on another country.

nkml said:
Its not my article, we as Muslims have the same respect to all prophets, we are prohibited from drawing any kind of picture for any prophet not just pictures of our prophet.

Good, then dont draw any. But if you are gonna respect our phrophet, then remember this. Our phrophet gives us freedom of choice. If you are gonna respect our phrophet, then you have to deal with the fact that in OUR COUNTRIES we can publish such stuff. You can go ahead and behead OTHER MUSLIMS for doing such, but dont attack others whose phrophets, or lack of, allow them to publish such things.

Otherwise you are saying your phrophet is better than my phrophet, and thats NO RESPECT at all.

We arent going into muslim countries and DEMAND THEY PUBLISH THESE are we? NO!

Said1 said:
If you search for them, you will find them......4 months ago.

Oops, editor of French paper, French Soir was fired.

Go figure, the French!

dmp said:
If ONLY such a thing could be REAL. (sigh).

Yes, a more realistic and accurate picture would be a boy laying on the ground bleeding to death with a shrapnel filled body and nails gouging his eyes, blood staining his new suit he bought to attend the wedding of his uncle, laying next to his mother whose white dress is stained with blood also, along with her decapitated head cuz she was right next to the bomb when it exploded, along with a newspaper headline by Al Jazeera saying that Hamas is claiming CREDIT for the act.

Now, if you want to start pointing out innocent civilians killed by the Jews, go ahead, but remember to POINT OUT WHAT THEIR INTENDED TARGET was, because the terrorist bomb going off at a Jewish wedding or funeral was TARGETED AT CIVILIANS. (NOT targeted at you DMP, just those who will try to excuse the bombing)

How the hell does this picture(Cartoon Character) resemble the Prophet anyhow... likeness ( pictures) are not allowed according to Islam...how do they know this is a likeness of him? Did they have digi-cams in the 7th century...if so they are also guilty of taking pics! This is such a bogus argument by Islam that it is actually funny! :wtf:

Mariner said:
having a little trouble with people making fun of Islam for violence when even the most cursory glance at Christian history shows it to be equally violent. The Inquisition, anyone? Several hundred years of ultra-politically-correct Dark Ages, where saying the wrong thing would get you burned at the stake as a heretic? Religious wars between Christian factions in Europe that often persisted for decades at a time? The IRA terrorist campaign against the British, which killed more people than 9/11?

Read historian Karen Armstrong's book "Holy Wars" and you'll see what I mean. Just because Christians are currently feeling more peacable doesn't mean much--after all, they started the conflict with the Crusades, and Muslims have every right to look back over that history and say "Christians are violent and bad."

It's bothering me that "us versus them" is precisely what bin Laden set out to exacerbate via his attacks on 9/11. He was absoutely explicit about this. Therefore people labelling Islam or Muslims in general as "bad" are playing directly into his hands, doing exactly what he hoped for. The answer has to be the right balance of strength, tolerance, forgiveness, and fairness, not an ever-escalating "us versus them" polarity. I'm not sure why so many people here at USMB don't see that.

It's a few radical Muslims making them all look bad, a tiny minority. It makes no sense to paint all the hundreds of millions of them with a broad brush of badness.

Mariner.

when was the last time christian soilders marched on the middle east in the name of christianity?

islam will use any excuse it can to force its will onto anyone

Mariner said:
as violent is unfair. No Muslim I know condones violence or terrorism. I'm curious how many actual Muslims most of the people putting down Islam here know?.
Strawman. Please show me a quote where anyone, ANYONE said all muslims are violent.
Second:How many muslims do you know in IRAN, Iraq, Syria, Palestinians, Saudi Arabia, Afghanastan, Jordan, etc, etc. American muslims are NOT representative of a majority of muslims. Your comments are deceptive at BEST.
Third: I DO KNOW many muslims from the Philippines. YES, you see, I do interact with NON AMERICAN muslims, and I do know how their minds work. I wont even go to Mindinao for fear of being kidnapped and beheaded. It is a beautiful island and I WOULD LOVE to go there, but I CANT for fear of violence. Please tell me where in the world you wouldnt go for fear of violence from Christians?
FOURTH: A market my wife and I visit often in Makati, was bombed, about 10 women and children were MURDERED by muslims who took CREDIT for the bombing.

Mariner said:
And from my perspective as a Hindu, Islam and Christianity are nearly identical religions--when they fight with each other it doesn't look much different from Protestants fighting with Catholics. They are branches from the same tree, which began with Judaism. All 3 are violent when compared with Hinduism and Buddhism. When it comes to the "war" between Christianity and Islam, there's no doubt who "started it": the violent, self-righteous, and often anti-Semitic Christians who led the 1st crusade in the 11th century. .
Hmmm, am I in a time warp or something? IS the date of 2006 on my calender wrong?

Mariner said:
Also, as an Indian, I have little reason to defend Islam. The Muslim invasion of India around 1000 A.D. was very destructive to Hinduism--the only invasion that India didn't successfully "digest," unlike the Huns and all previous invaders. Both my parents' families were forced to leave Pakistan, giving up all their property, when it became a Muslim state. So I speak only out of fairness, not out of any bias towards Muslims..
Or maybe out of anti Christian sentiment due to your liberalism.

Mariner said:
Many people here are talking about violence as if only Muslims engage in it..
Again, please show where anyone said that. We speak as though Muslims engage in 98% of it. Please show me an article describing a Christian beheading a kidnapped muslim reporter, or a bomb by a Christian going off in an arab country, where a wedding was going on.

Mariner said:
The U.S. is so violent that homicide is the #2 cause of death for teenagers. Homicide isn't a meaningful cause of death in any other industrialized country..
Really REALLY poor analysis. The homicide rate is high for other reasons than religion. And why do you exclude non industrialized countries? Hmmmm?

Mariner said:
You're far safer on the streets of Delhi than the streets of a U.S. city. Our rape and murder rates should be an embarrassment, what to say of our rates of physical and sexual abuse of children...
ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THIS DELHI? :
By Ayanjit Sen in Delhi
The crime rate in the Indian capital is said to have fallen dramatically after the recent scare over the mysterious "monkey-man".

Delhi police say the fall is a result of greater vigilance by local residents after the creature was spotted in many of the city's suburbs last week.

The creature - described as part man and part monkey - allegedly attacked people who were sleeping on the roofs of their homes to escape the summer heat.

The reports caused widespread panic, and vigilante groups and local residents fanned out on Delhi streets in an attempt to track down the mystery attacker.

A senior police official told the BBC that many residents now spent the entire night watching over their homes armed with iron rods and wooden sticks.

The increased vigilance meant that even ordinary robbers and muggers were now more afraid to carry out attacks.

Mystery attacker

Delhi has one of the highest crime rates in India and recent studies show crime levels steadily rising in recent years.

Since reports of the monkey-man surfaced, only six criminal acts have been reported in East Delhi - from where most of the sightings have been reported.

This is in contrast to the first 10 days of May, when more than 50 criminal acts were recorded.

Mariner said:
We're the world's number 1 arms merchant--weapons are our biggest export. We have about enough guns in this country to arm every American--and that doesn't count our military weaponry, which is the world's largest arsenal. We have more nuclear weapons than the rest of the world combined...
Your point is?

Mariner said:
Our next biggest export is Hollywood entertainment--much of which glorifies violence obscenely...
I see, making fictional movies about killing people is worse than beheading real people.

Mariner said:
I'd say Americans seem to be utterly obsessed with violence--perhaps because the country was founded on such violence, towards the Native Americans and the Africans kidnapped and enslaved...
Lie. America was founded on the principle of limited government and freedom of religion.

Mariner said:
Al Qaeda killed 3000 Americans in 2001. Homicide kills 30,000 Americans every single year...
and how many members of al qaeda did Americans kill prior to 9/11?

Nkml has a good point about the difficulty that many Americans have looking at our country with an open mind. He is also right that simply portraying Muhammed breaks an Islamic rule about religious images, and Westerners should perhaps be sensitive to that when drawing cartoons. ..[/QUOTE]
Yea, we should be sensitive about drawing cartoons, but you guys dont have to be sensitive about storming embassies by ARMED MEN who wear masks and are trying to bust down the doors of DIPLOMATS.

Mariner said:
We too readily see only the positive while glossing over our very serious mistakes...
I dont think so. Most Americans are very open to examining the truth about our country.

Mariner said:
To our credit, we do usually get to the truth, which is certainly better than most places. And, I agree with those here who say that imagining Jesus committing child rape is a bit more insulting than imagining him with a bomb. If Jesus were portrayed with a bomb in a Muslim cartoon, I doubt Christians would raise much of a hue and cry--they'd likely consider it protected free speech.

Mariner.

Well, at least you wrapped it up by finally saying something true.

Mariner said:

Yes, when compared with an entirely different religious system like Hinduism or Buddhism, the three Middle-Eastern religions do seem nearly identical. .

Yep, Hitler was homo sapien, white skin and eats vegetables. I do too. I guess he and I are blood brothers, not much different.
If you want to find out if two things are similar or not, you dont examine their similarities as much as you examine their differences. Species are not classified because of similarities, but because of differences. Mammals have hearts pumping blood, as do reptiles, but ITS THEIR DIFFERENCES that leads them to be classified in different ways.

Is buddism, hinduism really peaceful?

http://blogs.csmonitor.com/my_american_experience/2005/05/

And Buddism? Many in North American see Buddhism personified in the presence of the Dalai Lama. But in Buddhist countries like Sri Lanka, and Thailand, violence against religious minorities is a serious problem.

In Sri Lanka, thousands of people have died in clashed between the Tamil Tigers, who are Hindu, and the Buddhist government. Catholic churches have been attacked as well. And the Thai government has come under heavy criticism for its treatment of its Muslim minority.

And let us not forget Arum Shinrikyo, the Buddhist-inspired Japanese cult that carried out one of the worst acts of pre-9/11 terrorism the world had seen.

I could give you countless other examples of religious violence of the kind Jacoby ascribes to the Muslim world being committed by non-Muslim religious groups. But for me, the more important question is why is there religious violence at all.

Forum List

Back