What Would be the death toll in China if Three Gorges Dam was destroyed?

Dayton3

Gold Member
May 3, 2009
I was reading an article in a science magazine about the danger to Three Gorges Dam in China. It said that as many as 400 million people could be at risk though that sounds excessive.

But it estimated that if Three Gorges Dam was breached that it would killed millions, contaminate a huge area with radioactivity as flood waters destroyed nuclear power plants downstream, and that many more would die of famine and disease.

It suggested that as little as a 20 lb. explosive device might be able to cause a breach. If a 20lb. demolition charge could do that then most certainly a 2,000 lb. general purpose bomb could do the same.

And? Are you suggesting this as a course of action or something? Not clear what the purpose of this thread is.

And? Are you suggesting this as a course of action or something? Not clear what the purpose of this thread is.

Of course.

Ok, why?

Very complicated to get into and I'm not sure the rules of this forum allow me to talk about it openly as it would considered advocating violence.

Suffice it to say that it involves what I think the United States and thus the world needs in order to reform and restore itself culturally.

Of course.

Ok, why?

Very complicated to get into and I'm not sure the rules of this forum allow me to talk about it openly...

Don't be a chickenshit. Speak your 'mind,' such as it is.

The U.S. needs a major war to burn away the rot and decay in all levels of its culture. Not an Iraq type conflict. Not a "war" with terrorists. But a significant conflict with a major adversary that actually stresses the country and requires some level of sacrifice from our citizens.

Against a group of opponents that (at least on paper) appears formidable.

Now, I don't want some kind of global holocaust much less a holocaust that hits the United States. A global conflict that costs the U.S. no more than 500,000 people total, our allies no more than 1,500,000 and our enemies no more than 6-7 million.

The only combination of enemies I can think that would fill the bill so to speak would be an alliance of Russia, China, and possibly Iran. Against all our usual allies around the world of course. And the U.S. wins not only militarily but in the aftermath seizes major swaths of territory (mainly from Russia, I'm thinking everything East of the Yinisey River) and in the aftermath the nuclear arsenals of China, Russia, and hopefully Pakistan and India are eradicated completely.

Does that answer your question? And don't start babbling about me being some kind of socio or psychopath.

Of course.

Ok, why?

Very complicated to get into and I'm not sure the rules of this forum allow me to talk about it openly...

Don't be a chickenshit. Speak your 'mind,' such as it is.

The U.S. needs a major war to burn away the rot and decay in all levels of its culture. Not an Iraq type conflict. Not a "war" with terrorists. But a significant conflict with a major adversary that actually stresses the country and requires some level of sacrifice from our citizens.

Against a group of opponents that (at least on paper) appears formidable.

Now, I don't want some kind of global holocaust much less a holocaust that hits the United States. A global conflict that costs the U.S. no more than 500,000 people total, our allies no more than 1,500,000 and our enemies no more than 6-7 million.

The only combination of enemies I can think that would fill the bill so to speak would be an alliance of Russia, China, and possibly Iran. Against all our usual allies around the world of course. And the U.S. wins not only militarily but in the aftermath seizes major swaths of territory (mainly from Russia, I'm thinking everything East of the Yinisey River) and in the aftermath the nuclear arsenals of China, Russia, and hopefully Pakistan and India are eradicated completely.

Does that answer your question? And don't start babbling about me being some kind of socio or psychopath.

If you have to qualify your fucking idiotic comments with "don't start babbling about me being some kind of socio or psychopath," guess what? Enjoy your Lumateperone tosylate.

I was reading an article in a science magazine about the danger to Three Gorges Dam in China. It said that as many as 400 million people could be at risk though that sounds excessive.

But it estimated that if Three Gorges Dam was breached that it would killed millions, contaminate a huge area with radioactivity as flood waters destroyed nuclear power plants downstream, and that many more would die of famine and disease.

It suggested that as little as a 20 lb. explosive device might be able to cause a breach. If a 20lb. demolition charge could do that then most certainly a 2,000 lb. general purpose bomb could do the same.
From what I understand, after the way they cut corners on the construction costs using cheap materials etc..., the dam will eventually fail on its own.

A lot but not enough?

Forum List

Back