What Will Your Excuse Be That You Give To Your Kids?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by NATO AIR, Oct 30, 2004.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    When your kids learn about the Holocaust in school, and then come home and ask you and your spouse why America didn't stop genocide in Darfur, what will you tell them? What excuse will you give?

A terrorist supporting oppressive regime is wiping out three tribes of people with a final solution that would make Hitler proud. No one in power cares. Its all but guaranteed America will not get involved, and usually, as America goes, so does the rest of the world. America's inaction gives other nations an excuse for inaction. America's the leader, and leaders lead the way. With no one leading the way, nothing is getting done to save these people. I love my country but our silence and inaction is so, so wrong.

2. White knight

White knight Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    They will be too busy playing PS3 or too selfish and stupid to care what happens overseas.

3. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    i think the ps4 would be out by then (5 year console cycles) and kids are a lot smarter and more idealistic than we give them credit for.

4. White knight

White knight Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I hope so, I would like to meet some of these kids, All the ones I see can't hold a job, not because there are none, but they don't want to work weekends or work period. Some don't want to change their extreme appearnces, to fit into the work culture.
    But yes a few are making us proud
    I can blame the others too much, they were not raised right, their families were all torn apart, single parent, divorce etc.. topics for a Jerry Springer show.

5. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree Nato. Though, I do believe that this would be the perfect opportunity for the UN to save some face, and lead on this one. This is not only an American problem, but one for the world. You are right though, America would have to lead to procure any action from the rest of the world. I guess there is no profit for the UN, so there is no motivation.

6. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Nato...you know I think highly of you, but the premise of the thread assumes
    there needs to be an excuse. IMO all that is needed in this scenario is a presentation of facts
    and a lengthy discussion of why BAD things can't always be fixed by ONE Country alone.
    Hey, it's one of those cold hard facts of life.

7. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    We know the facts pretty much (ha, I've posted what about 50 darfur threads?). The discussion we do need to have, but I think we're really all waiting for the election to be over and see if Pres. Bush or Pres. elect Kerry change their tune on US intervention (doubtful but you never know).
    There are many bad things we stand by and do not fix, you're right to say we can't fix everything.

There are,however, some instances where BAD things are so bad inaction is inexcusable. This is one of those. Its a perfect storm for intervention save for the media not giving a damn and these folks being black muslims slaughtered by Arabs.

We have
    (a) clearcut case of genocide for only the third time in modern history (Nazis and Hutu Power owning the other two)
    (b) oppressive, nightmare regime that will not stop with Darfur, there are other parts of Sudan it will target in the future, so this is just the beginning.
    (c) a terrorist supporting government.
    (d) an alliance like never before between American evangeicals, liberal human rights interventionists, conservative anti-terrorist warriors and moderate hawks.

8. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    well its funny right... we can either say

(1) the system has worked.... and this is the result, inaction.

(2) the system is screwed.... it doesn't work.

either way, its bad for Darfur, bad for America and bad for the future

9. White knight

White knight Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been thinking about a topic along these lines, long before OBL made his apperance.
    I will call it "Ripples in Time" Why bad things should not be allowed to happen.
    I will work on it and post it in the furture,

10. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    We can't do anything in Darfur at this time.

We have spread ourselves thin by trying to secure two countries who were a threat to us. There simply aren't enough soldiers to occupy Sudan, so how can we fix that.

If you're in the military, will you serve two extra years in a combat zone? Will you sign up to serve if we go to Darfur? Will you support a draft to get the amount of soldiers we need?