What to do with the USPS?

Second stupidest comment of the entire week

The reality is that people no longer need the post office like they used to

The USPS is a quasi-government service that is run as a business with unrealistic expections imposed by Congress

I like getting my paper mail. The internet is just not reliable enough. I don't mind the post office. I think they should stop delivering mail on Saturdays though. There is no need for that. Five days a week of mail delivery is plenty.
if you were a carrier you would not think that.....every Monday would be fucked.....and then if there is a Monday holiday.....Tuesday would fuck x 2.....

Well? Why are mail carriers so special that they need to work on Saturday too? How about cut out Saturday, and cut out some mail carriers? That would probably save a butt load of money.
they have already done what UPS did....eliminate routes and give everyone who still has a route pieces of the eliminated routes...some people picked up an hour of other routes some less...now their mail volume that they have to deliver just increased and their street time just increased..... and the trucks we use were already cramped,now they are really cramped, in some, unsafe loads....i was in an office with 19 routes they eliminated 3, everyone had at least 45 minutes added to their routes, some more....and its the Anaheim Hills.....high volume Mail....and because of the Mail Volume we had to deal with our Street times were shorter than light volume routes in the rest of the city....it was out of control after they did this....even the young runners were having a hard time doing it in 8 hours.....and they had not hired anyone since 2006 so we had no more help than usual.....Overtime went through the roof.....when Election time came most of the carriers were on the street in the dark and working at least 10 hours a day.....try delivering mail in the dark.....especially if its raining or snowing....

Second stupidest comment of the entire week

The reality is that people no longer need the post office like they used to

The USPS is a quasi-government service that is run as a business with unrealistic expections imposed by Congress

I like getting my paper mail. The internet is just not reliable enough. I don't mind the post office. I think they should stop delivering mail on Saturdays though. There is no need for that. Five days a week of mail delivery is plenty.
if you were a carrier you would not think that.....every Monday would be fucked.....and then if there is a Monday holiday.....Tuesday would fuck x 2.....

Sorry, I don't know what you're talking about. Other people manage on a 5-day work week.
Mail does not stop moving internally in the PO....it keeps moving and stops at the carriers case....so every Monday would be like a day after a Holiday....and if there actually is a Monday Holiday Tuesday would have 3 days worth of Mail to put up,load into an already too small truck.....during Christmas and Election times the amount of overtime needed to catch up may not make that cost effective....especially election mail....horrible stuff...

Well that's something I didn't think of. There must be some kind of solution to that problem.
you would have to stop the mail flow every Friday where ever its at and move it again when work resumes Mon.....but Mail is time sensitive and Federal law keeps it moving...the clerks in the Mail processing part of the PO work 7 days a week,24 hours a day 365 days a year.....3 shifts....mail mostly moves from 5 in the afternoon to around 5:am....the new Machines that Graumen built for this are amazing...

Sorry, I don't know what you're talking about. Other people manage on a 5-day work week.
Mail does not stop moving internally in the PO....it keeps moving and stops at the carriers case....so every Monday would be like a day after a Holiday....and if there actually is a Monday Holiday Tuesday would have 3 days worth of Mail to put up,load into an already too small truck.....during Christmas and Election times the amount of overtime needed to catch up may not make that cost effective....especially election mail....horrible stuff...

Well that's something I didn't think of. There must be some kind of solution to that problem.
you would have to stop the mail flow every Friday where ever its at and move it again when work resumes Mon.....but Mail is time sensitive and Federal law keeps it moving...the clerks in the Mail processing part of the PO work 7 days a week,24 hours a day 365 days a year.....3 shifts....mail mostly moves from 5 in the afternoon to around 5:am....the new Machines that Graumen built for this are amazing...

That's one reason why Emily's idea is so good. Leave running local post offices to the local government. They can have the hours, etc., that are necessary to serve their particular community instead of having to go by federal guidelines. Like Emily says, when the feds are involved, it's always "one size fits all" kind of logic when some communities are going to be larger and require more and some will be smaller and require less.

Check this out.

Postal Service Financial Problems 10 Things They Don t Want You To Know

So when government does it business principles are irrelevant? The USPS seems to be trying to model FedEx and UPS, why use a business model? The problem is wages are too high and pension benefits too large. Bankruptcy would eliminate both and the reorganized governmental body could continue. See Detroit.
The problem is wages are too high
for clerks i will agree....Carriers no.....we were the only workers who have a clock ticking on the amount of time to do your job,and no matter how much mail is there or the weather outside,you have a time limit.....and along with that time limit, no one would do this job in the rain and snow for 15 bucks an hour....

Harry I was thinking more of middle and upper management more so than carriers.

I stuck this in general discussion, hoping politics would not be a big part of the conversation. Thanks everyone for keeping it on topic, nice job. I forgot we had Harry around these parts. Good to have someone who's been there in the mix.

That's one reason why Emily's idea is so good. Leave running local post offices to the local government. They can have the hours, etc., that are necessary to serve their particular community instead of having to go by federal guidelines. Like Emily says, when the feds are involved, it's always "one size fits all" kind of logic when some communities are going to be larger and require more and some will be smaller and require less.

Check this out.

lots of that is bullshit.....the PO has never laid off anyone yet it said postal employees are being laid off in droves....plus the part about fed-x and ups and about outsiders sorting the mail.....Fed-x and UPS and the PO have agreements where they help each other....they all are making out on the deal....

So when government does it business principles are irrelevant? The USPS seems to be trying to model FedEx and UPS, why use a business model? The problem is wages are too high and pension benefits too large. Bankruptcy would eliminate both and the reorganized governmental body could continue. See Detroit.
The problem is wages are too high
for clerks i will agree....Carriers no.....we were the only workers who have a clock ticking on the amount of time to do your job,and no matter how much mail is there or the weather outside,you have a time limit.....and along with that time limit, no one would do this job in the rain and snow for 15 bucks an hour....

Harry I was thinking more of middle and upper management more so than carriers.
middle management in the PO is a joke.....dont get me started on that.....

I stuck this in general discussion, hoping politics would not be a big part of the conversation. Thanks everyone for keeping it on topic, nice job. I forgot we had Harry around these parts. Good to have someone who's been there in the mix.
biggrin.gif
......its too bad we dont still have Meister around he is another who has been there.....

I do agree with ChrisL that Saturday should be cut out, but both mgt and craft want those pay hours.
its still a 40 hour work week....Saturday or not....
With less workers, yes?
yes much less.....but sat or not you still will work 40 hours....

That's kind of like my job too. I have to work in a Saturday in my 40-hour work week. Kind of sucks actually. :D I miss my 2-day weekends.

biggrin.gif
......its too bad we dont still have Meister around he is another who has been there.....

I've been there.

Check this out.

lots of that is bullshit.....the PO has never laid off anyone yet it said postal employees are being laid off in droves....plus the part about fed-x and ups and about outsiders sorting the mail.....Fed-x and UPS and the PO have agreements where they help each other....they all are making out on the deal....
Yes, the post office has laid-off mail carriers before. I have a friend that got laid-off in Alabama.

I do agree with ChrisL that Saturday should be cut out, but both mgt and craft want those pay hours.
its still a 40 hour work week....Saturday or not....
With less workers, yes?
yes much less.....but sat or not you still will work 40 hours....

That's kind of like my job too. I have to work in a Saturday in my 40-hour work week. Kind of sucks actually. :D I miss my 2-day weekends.
i liked the rotating days off i had,get off during the week when everyone else is working plus because it rotates you get a 3 day weekend every 5 weeks....

Forum List

Back