What The Founding Fathers Thought About Corporations

Jefferson can be quoted to take both sides of any issue.

That is one thing about Jefferson - He contradicted himself all the time..

Thomas Jefferson's Letters

They all did. Moving from ideology and philosophy to the pragmatic problem of actually governing took its tole. Jefferson's oft used quote about quenching the tree of liberty wasn't repeated much after he saw what happened if France.

But their position on limiting the scope and even duration of chartered corporations didn't do much of a flip flop.

what would those safeguards be exactly?

We could start with K Street, which finds new interesting ways to legally bribe our elected officials. If you got rid of every single perk a registered lobbyist could give an elected official, and the only thing they could do was argue a POV, that would be a start. No phony fact finding trips paid by them. No phony golf outings, disguised as charity tournaments, or vacations disguised as fact finding missions, paying for anything for an elected official or their staff. No lobbyist run PACs.

Then we could work on recusal of any federal legislature, who had direct interest, or a direct family member (mother, father, spouse, sibling, or child) who had equity, including options, employment, contract or consulting agreement, from voting on legislation on any public law where a clear material gain could be demonstrated.

and the unions too? is that correct?

The same lobbying restrictions should apply across the board. They should all make have equal access to make their case on proposed or existing public law, but lawmakers only interest should be in writing good law, and not the law with the best personal perks.

what would those safeguards be exactly?

We could start with K Street, which finds new interesting ways to legally bribe our elected officials. If you got rid of every single perk a registered lobbyist could give an elected official, and the only thing they could do was argue a POV, that would be a start. No phony fact finding trips paid by them. No phony golf outings, disguised as charity tournaments, or vacations disguised as fact finding missions, paying for anything for an elected official or their staff. No lobbyist run PACs.

Then we could work on recusal of any federal legislature, who had direct interest, or a direct family member (mother, father, spouse, sibling, or child) who had equity, including options, employment, contract or consulting agreement, from voting on legislation on any public law where a clear material gain could be demonstrated.

Do you feel the same way about Unions and their influence peddling, Lefty?
Unions should be treated as giant corporations that have no products to tax.

Politicians should be limited to what they can accept from ANY SOURCE WHATSOEVER!

The same lobbying restrictions should apply across the board. They should all make have equal access to make their case on proposed or existing public law, but lawmakers only interest should be in writing good law, and not the law with the best personal perks.

You must know that for a politician to spend millions of dollars to get elected to a post the pays in the low hundreds of thousands of dollars, he must be expecting a large flow of cash, gifts, perks and other enhancements of his own family's wealth for several years to come.

It is the politicians that need fixing...not the corporations!

Jefferson can be quoted to take both sides of any issue.

That is one thing about Jefferson - He contradicted himself all the time..

Thomas Jefferson's Letters

They all did. Moving from ideology and philosophy to the pragmatic problem of actually governing took its tole. Jefferson's oft used quote about quenching the tree of liberty wasn't repeated much after he saw what happened if France.

But their position on limiting the scope and even duration of chartered corporations didn't do much of a flip flop.

Not really, they just took cheap shots at individuals and entities they didn't care for.

If Jefferson were alive today I think he would be similar to Charles Krauthammer considering he wrote so much.

Also you have to remember, back in Jeffersons days, businesses took political sides - much like today.

He had a problem with the Federalists and any individual or entity that sided with them - including banks.

Last edited:
Ha! the democrats are willing to throw Unions under the bus to overturn citizen's united?? Why didn't they do that before it became necessary for the common man to have a citizen's united? too late now methinks..

You must know that for a politician to spend millions of dollars to get elected to a post the pays in the low hundreds of thousands of dollars, he must be expecting a large flow of cash, gifts, perks and other enhancements of his own family's wealth for several years to come.

It is the politicians that need fixing...not the corporations!

You're right. But that's because the monied interests have made it so expensive.

I'm not proposing any utopian answer, just looking back to the wisdom of our founders on this.

You're also right that politicians do need fixing. A good place to start is not making entering public life a way to skim a lifestyle of the rich and famous. The less that monied interest can influence elected officials with essentially legal bribery, and the more elected officials have to decide law on the basis of what's in our overall interest, the less corrupt they'll become.

[

A good place to start is not making entering public life a way to skim a lifestyle of the rich and famous. The less that monied interest can influence elected officials with essentially legal bribery, and the more elected officials have to decide law on the basis of what's in our overall interest, the less corrupt they'll become.

You are being reasonable on this thread, so I will politely point out that this is a pipe dream.

[

A good place to start is not making entering public life a way to skim a lifestyle of the rich and famous. The less that monied interest can influence elected officials with essentially legal bribery, and the more elected officials have to decide law on the basis of what's in our overall interest, the less corrupt they'll become.

You are being reasonable on this thread, so I will politely point out that this is a pipe dream.

I don't tend to think in extremes. Moving toward some sensible center would help. It would make those officials who are on the edges more apparent, and give opponents and the people a clearer, more informative place to make their decisions.

Like I said, I don't think I, or our founders, were looking for a utopia. Just a better business model of a Republic that reflects the will of the people, within a constitutional framework, that keeps corruption (even legal corruption) to a minimum, without succumbing to the tyranny of the majority.

Yes, it's just a blog. But it makes an interesting argument, using facts. So instead of shooting the messenger, and feeble minded flaming (from both sides). Let's try something new, and have an intelligent discussion (yeah, I know I'm dreaming).

One interesting observation comes from Jefferson.

1802 letter to Secretary of State Albert Gallatin, Jefferson said,

“If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their money, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them (around the banks), will deprive the people of their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.”

Thomas Jefferson also said this in 1816,

“I hope that we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country.”

How well did he describe our financial near collapse of 2008? It seems to predict what will happen if we allow financial institutions to become "too big to fail" pretty well.

Then you have Lincoln:

“We may congratulate ourselves that this cruel war is nearing its end. It has cost a vast amount of treasure and blood … It has indeed been a trying hour for the Republic; but I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. As a result of war, corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands, and the Republic is destroyed. I feel at this moment more anxiety for the safety of my country than ever before, even in the midst of war. God grant that my suspicions may prove groundless.”

Jefferson is reffering to the system we've had in place for the last 100 years and he was right. it isn't corporations that are the problem, it is the private banks that have been given the reigns of the issuance of our money. Through fostered relationships of monied interests with corporations, the government has allowed oligopolioes to form up in almost every industry. A few state sponsored corps. "competing" in their sector. Through the expansion of credit and money supplies, the government and federal reserve have debased the currency into almost oblivion and riddled the nation with unpayable and unsustainable debt. I thought everyone was starting to catch on after the 2008 bust. No?

Lincoln (Im not sure of the exact context of this quote) must have been referring to the central banks of England debt system. When he approached them for money for the civil war, the offered he was given he turned down. He did so because he knew he would put central bankers in the seat of kings as the nation struggled endlessly to repay interest earning moneys.

Central banking blows cock. The same as any central planning.

So you think it's a good idea for government to overturn a contractual agreement between employer and its employees?

You think people should be forced to join a union to gain employment?

That is fascism at its finest...

No. I think that if a company and its emplyees come to terms on a contract, that the government should step in and interfere, as long as the agreement is legal. To the contrary, having government step in and revoke a contractual agreement, to benefit the corporation, is closer to fascism. Just as if government stepping in and revoking a contract to benefit employees would be closer to communism.

Note, I didn't say "that is fascism" nor "that is communism". Those are extreme terms that don't really reflect what either of those extreme form of government really is.

Yes, it's just a blog. But it makes an interesting argument, using facts. So instead of shooting the messenger, and feeble minded flaming (from both sides). Let's try something new, and have an intelligent discussion (yeah, I know I'm dreaming).

One interesting observation comes from Jefferson.

1802 letter to Secretary of State Albert Gallatin, Jefferson said,

“If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their money, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them (around the banks), will deprive the people of their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.”

“I hope that we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country.”

How well did he describe our financial near collapse of 2008? It seems to predict what will happen if we allow financial institutions to become "too big to fail" pretty well.

Then you have Lincoln:

“We may congratulate ourselves that this cruel war is nearing its end. It has cost a vast amount of treasure and blood … It has indeed been a trying hour for the Republic; but I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. As a result of war, corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands, and the Republic is destroyed. I feel at this moment more anxiety for the safety of my country than ever before, even in the midst of war. God grant that my suspicions may prove groundless.”

snopes.com: Thomas Jefferson on Banks

Private Banks (Quotation) « Thomas Jefferson

Thread killa!

Last edited:
Jefferson said,

Sounds like Jefferson was making a case against a central bank, against our Federal Reserve. Guess Jefferson would have been a Ron Paul supporter. Cool.

Sounds like Jefferson stood against cronyism. Guess Jefferson would have been a Ron Paul supporter. Cool.

Forum List

Back