What should animal welfare laws be and why?

&

☭proletarian☭

Why it (generally considered) horrendous to crush a cat under your heal, but not a cockroach? Is it acceptable to kill a dog because it is old? if so, only if it is suffering or also if it's a nuisance? Why is it horrible for a person to kill a dog in the city by shooting it, but accepted if it's on a farm? Why do people freak if a child sets a horse or a rabbit on fire, but not if they burn ants with a magnifying glass? What about a lizard?

We seem to view killing mammals as more horrible than non-mammals. Why? What about harvesting animals for food and the varying conditions in which they might be kept? Thy are not humans and they are not people, yet some consider them to have more rights than they do some people.

What should the laws be and how do you reach your conclusion?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just like human welfare. They should get checks based on their number of offspring.
If they are able to work, put em to work.
If they are tasty eat em.

Nobody has any thoughts?

Let me ask the question this way: Why is/should it be objectionable to kill a person but not an ant?

I think it has more to do with our ability to identify with a living thing. We are more able to identify with other humans pets and even farm animals, but when it comes to insects, plants and--worst-bacteria, we tend to cut off that emotional tie.

I think this may have something to do with how well we can communicate with another living organism that determines if we should consider their well being.

By the way, when I say "communicate", I mean in terms of developing empathy, not in terms of speaking a human language to, say, you dog--although your dog does seem to develop a rudimental understanding of your language.

As I recall there was a bigger furror over the poisioned dog food than there was over the poision drug that killed dialisis patients. Hepa something...

I support the right to arm Bears.

Forum List

Back