What Route will the US Govt. Take?

Discussion in 'Economy' started by TakeAStepBack, May 30, 2012.

1. TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,012
    We really have two options at this point when it comes to debt/deficit/monetary poliicies that I see.

1) The government will no longer have debt buyers and be forced to slash the spending of borrowed money, causing economic pain and hardship.

OR

2) The government will refuse to slash spending and continue down the road of monetary inflation until hyperinflation occurs, causing economic chaos.

The situation is obviously a touch more complicated when figuring in reseerve currency of the world, etc...but the next bubble is being built right now and that bubble is government spending and currency devaluation. There is no where left to suds up another bubble..

What say you?

2. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,126
    I say we haven't learned one damn thing since 2007.
    For all of the talk of Obama and the left "making Wall Street pay" and "fairness
    etc. etc......they haven't changed a damn thing.
    The markets are very much doing exactly what they were doing pre-2007...just in different markets.

3. TakeAStepBack

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,012
    I agree. But there is no industry left to really tank except the dollar or govt. spending (insolvency without a debt purchasing market actor or two). This is an unsustainable road and the next bubble is going to be the big crash if we dont get a new Warren Harding to come in and sound the fiscal responsibility alarm.

I'm predicting outright hyperinflation. It seems modern economists are convinced spending and monetary inflation is the way to create wealth and growth. it's a damn shame that's not only a total lie, it's the worst possible position to take in economics.

4. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,215
    This is probably why you are a narco-libertarian. Maybe if the gov't legalized weed we'd have a whole new industry to hire people.

5. TakeAStepBack

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,012
    Gee, Rabble, that sure is enlightening of you. :rolleyes:

6. Staidhup

Staidhup Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,175
    Considering the two options, number 1) requires recognizing there is a problem and having to make substantial cuts, simply politically inexpedient, regardless of party affiliation, congress has not the fortitude nor desire to dance the dance. Option 2) in essence recognizes the dollar is in bubble over drive and destined to tank, again very painful to correct.
    To top it off, after one reviews current status of unfunded national, state, and union pension funds it's apparent politicians continue to disavow the reality that returns of 7.5%, as forecast, are unattainable, furthermore, the US government has not the capacity to cure the pending massive pension defaults. The first order of business is to address government spending, holding taxes at current levels, and accept the result that one will not be reelected. Second, pension fund payouts will need to be frozen at current levels, and forced to recognize under current economic conditions guaranteeing rates of returns in excess of realistic market conditions needs to be prohibited. Third, the Federal reserve needs to allow interest rates to rise in accordance to real world market conditions. Fourth, repatriating dollars earned, post tax liability in country's earned, need to be permitted without re-taxation by the fed. Fifth, Corporate tax rates need to be reduced to remain competitive with international manufacturing economies. Sixth, universal right to work legislation needs to be passed. Seventh, Section 4219 of the employees retirement income security act of 1974 as amended (ERISA) 29 U.S.C. section 1399, and NIPF plan document needs to be overturned forcing unions to accept total responsibility for mismanagement of their controlled pension funds. In short, tough decisions need to be made, and unless they are, the sum total of pain will be greater than that which such proposals will yield. The question remain will congress make the tough decisions required to face facts or continue to play the old politics as usual game.

7. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,215
    I'm not sure a laser beam could enlighten you.
    Anyone who thinks there is no industry left in this country is a moron. Or a narco-libertarian. But I repeat myself.

8. TakeAStepBack

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,012
    How shocked am I that you twist my words. There is no industry left for a bubble to foment, Rabble. It is no wonder you're a Rick Perry supporter. You're certainly not the brightest bulb in the box.

9. TakeAStepBack

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,012
    That's the crux of it. More so that the public demand that congress do the right thing and cut spending massively. But neither will happen, so the question then becomes how far down the drain will we go....

10. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,215
    I don't have to twist them. You do a good enough job yourself:
    the dollar is not an industry. Neither is "gov't spending". I don't know how a bubble foments. Maybe you can enlighten us here since you obviously speak a language that isn't taught in standard institutions.