• 25% ($20,000 per year )

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • 30% ($24,000 per year )

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters

CultureCitizen

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2013
I made a similar poll in absolute terms, this time it is relative to gdp.
Now, some restrictions:
1) assume al other social security programs disappear( medicare , medicaid, government pensions, food stamps)
2) Public schools will still exists ( the budget for education is less than 1% of gdp )
3) The tax rate will be 35% flat, but the minimum income will work as a tax return for everyonew with an income. Hence if someone earns 50,000 a year and the UMI is 10,000 that person will only pay 7,500 in taxes instead of 17,500.
4) The minimum income only applies to people over who are 20 year or older ( to avoid people using extra kids as a way to increase their income)
5) I have not included percentages above 30% because even without social programs some money is required to run the government and build infrastructure; it is unlikely the government will be able to raise more than 40% of gdp in taxes.

Now, some restrictions:
1) assume al other social security programs disappear( medicare , medicaid, government pensions, food stamps)
2) Public schools will still exists ( the budget for education is less than 1% of gdp )
3) The tax rate will be 35% flat, but the minimum income will work as a tax return for everyonew with an income. Hence if someone earns 50,000 a year and the UMI is 10,000 that person will only pay 7,500 in taxes instead of 17,500.
4) The minimum income only applies to people over who are 20 year or older ( to avoid people using extra kids as a way to increase their income)
5) I have not included percentages above 30% because even without social programs some money is required to run the government and build infrastructure; it is unlikely the government will be able to raise more than 40% of gdp in taxes.

Universal minimum income is a silly idea. People should work for their money.

Zero, get a fucking job

I wish I could earn a living with a fucking job,but (1) it's illegal in the state I live, and (2) I don't think anyone would hire me to fuck because I rarely get to fuck even when I offer to for free.

As automation and artificial intelligence take over many more of the jobs/occupations of people, a minimum income may have more widespread acceptance.

As automation and artificial intelligence take over many more of the jobs/occupations of people, a minimum income may have more widespread acceptance.

It already has wide spread acceptance now...it's called the 47%

The reason this is a bad idea is because of the nature of government programs. What happens when the government provides more public money to college tuition assistance? If the government increases assistance by $10 billion, tuitions quickly rise, in aggregate, by $10 billion. And everybody except the taxpayer is right back where he started. If, say, some egg heads determine that the minimum a person can live on is $12,000 per year, and five percent of the population makes only $10,000 per year, so the government gives those five percent $2,000 per year more, prices will rise accordingly, and we are right back where we started.

Now, some restrictions:

So no safety net huh ??

John Birch Society, n'est pas ?!

Now, some restrictions:
Minimum wage and unemployment should both be a state by state issue.

It should be based on local cost of living.

The Feds should stay out of this. They are already too deep in deficits.

Now, some restrictions:

So no safety net huh ??

That's not what I said. If you work and you pay into the system, then there is a safety net for when you can't work.

What you're coming up with is money for nothing. It's ridiculous. It encourages people not to work.

Now, some restrictions:

So no safety net huh ??

That's not what I said. If you work and you pay into the system, then there is a safety net for when you can't work.

What you're coming up with is money for nothing. It's ridiculous. It encourages people not to work.
Ok fair enough.

Exactly. You just wind up creating more worthless parasites, such as Matthew, who think that society owes them a living, and are unwilling and unable to contribute anything back to society.

Exactly. You just wind up creating more worthless parasites, such as Matthew, who think that society owes them a living, and are unwilling and unable to contribute anything back to society.

better yet why not have a parasite tax like most of the communist countries had so that everyone is encouraged to get a job and contribute to the system!!

Now, some restrictions:

Milton Friedman and Friederich Hayek would disagree with you.

Ahhh. Well, exactly , at some point people start getting desperate and start searching for alternative sources of income: drug and human trafficking, prostitution, kidnaping, extortion or simple robbery and keeping people incarcerated is not exactly cheap.
Free people consume products.

Forum List

Back