What over-used, or wrongly used words and phrases annoy you the most

monkrules

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2017
This is just meant to be a fun thread for the linguistic nit pickers among us.

Here’s what I mean: I was listening to an interview on the radio today, and the interviewee used the phrase “you know” about fifteen times in just a couple of minutes (then I nearly ripped the button off the radio when I switched it off).

The interviewee also began many of her sentences with the word “so,” even though there was no previous thought being referenced. From what I’ve read there's no grammatical reason not to use the word ‘so’ at the beginning of a sentence. Still, it sounds wrong (to me) when the word ‘so’ is not tying thoughts together (when used at the beginning of a sentence). And it quickly becomes annoying when overused in this way.

While ‘so’ is a versatile and useful word, some people make it an annoying word by using it at the beginning of nearly every sentence.

www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/is-starting-a-sentence-with-so-condescending

Another irritating word is “irregardless”. Again there is no rule against its use. But it’s a double-negative. The word “regardless” already has the suffix, “less”, on the end of the word. Some dictionaries list the word ‘irregardless’ but they note that it is non-standard.

So what are your pet peeves when it comes to word usage, or those over-used phrases that are quickly tossed out in place of doing the work required to express a real thought?

Last edited:
So....I was thinking that like, the whole language thing is so bogus like. Then my wife was like, I know, right?

When I was about sixteen, a bunch of friends went to the mountains for a day-long picnic. There was a cute girl who used the word ‘wonderful’ to describe every damned thing.

I liked the girl, but couldn’t stand listening to her — so I spent much of the day trying avoid her. Lol...

Maybe that’s how we begin to learn a bit about the power of words.

Fartknocker..
Fartknocker !

That is so funny. What the hell does that even mean. Lol....
A contemptible or annoying person

victor-miller-beavis-butthead-frozen-poop-pills-i-want-frozen-poop-pills-now-heh-heh-heh-calm-down-b.jpg

The list could be quite long......

so let's just say any adjective used on this board to describe 'the other side' .....

(people that have different views whether political, religious, climate change, etc)

• "Leverage" used as a verb
  • "Impact" used as a verb
  • Anything in the passive voice when the activity performed isn't the focus of the discussion.
  • "Between" used with regard to more than two items, people, actions, etc.
  • "Whether or not" -- "whether" already include the "or not"
  • "[noun] of a _______ nature" -- "______ [noun]" will do, TYVM
  • Only -- The word is fine. The writer's placement of it is what's often problematic.
  • "Like" used for anything other than adjectival comparison
  • "Like I/s/he said" -- "As I said," like used for anything but comparison.
  • "Fulsome" used without enough supplemental context so I can know what meaning of it one intends.
  • "You" when one isn't addressing or speaking of me.
  • "Used to" -- Can't stand "used to" in place of conjugating in the past or pluperfect tenses.
  • In writing, any slang that's not in a standard dictionary.

• "Leverage" used as a verb
  • "Impact" used as a verb
  • Anything in the passive voice when the activity performed isn't the focus of the discussion.
  • "Between" used with regard to more than two items, people, actions, etc.
  • "Whether or not" -- "whether" already include the "or not"
  • "[noun] of a _______ nature" -- "______ [noun]" will do, TYVM
  • Only -- The word is fine. The writer's placement of it is what's often problematic.
  • "Like" used for anything other than adjectival comparison
  • "Like I/s/he said" -- "As I said," like used for anything but comparison.
  • "Fulsome" used without enough supplemental context so I can know what meaning of it one intends.
  • "You" when one isn't addressing or speaking of me.
  • "Used to" -- Can't stand "used to" in place of conjugating in the past or pluperfect tenses.
  • In writing, any slang that's not in a standard dictionary.

Fo Schizzle!

Forum List

Back