What if Roe Vs. Wade was Overturned?

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Gem, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    I thought this was a fantastic commentary on this subject. Larry Elder has done what so few in the Pro-Choice community are willing to do...actually examine (without dramatics, hysteria, or rhetoric) what would REALLY happen if Roe Vs. Wade was overturned.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/larryelder/le20050818.shtml

2. hylandrdet

hylandrdet Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Gem, I support legal abortions because without it, you'll see the garbage bins pilling up with dead babies, more need for prisons because we'll start arresting the people who conduct abortions, and dead women as the result of infections and or bleeding as the result of botched operations.

Sometimes people needs to understand that our society, in certain situations, has to "cut off its nose in order to save its face". History had already told us that with the attempted prohibition of alcohol. Abortion lies within that catagory; I don't care to stop it, but it has to be contained.

3. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Ridiculous analogy----kill babies to protect ourselves?? :lame2:

4. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I think it says a lot that pro-abortion folks get upset and angry when they see protestors carrying pictures of aborted babies. Why try to hide from others the truth of the procedure that they so strongly defend?

It is hypocritical to defend something that you can't even face.

I also recall reading an article about how pro-abortion folks argue about statistics showing the emotional turmoil and regret that many women who abort face for their entire lives. Always trying to sweep the truth under the rug.

5. Nuc

Nuc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I'm sorry. Maybe I'm totally ignorant. But what is the validity of "states rights" in the modern era? Maybe when this country started there were differences between the states. But now there are none. Mississippi has Walmart, Office Depot and MacDonalds. So does Alaska. And every state in between. There is very little regional culture in America and absolutely no "State" culture, excepting cheese in Wisconsin and lobster in Maine. What is the BFD about "states rights"? Isn't this a ridiculous anachronism?

:wank: :wank: :wank:

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Sorry, but the whole purpose of the Revolution was to keep the 'central government' away from issues that were better dealt with by the people of each area, colony if you will. That part hasn't changed. Education, community standards/mores are still local. All politics are local. The 'fed' should be dealing with 'broad based' issues: Money, borders, terrorism, space program, etc.

7. Nuc

Nuc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    OK, I understand that, but is it not true that states no longer have monocultures? EVERY state, even Alabama and Mississippi, have broad based constituencies. Do you think that people should move from state to state just to ensure that they are in a state with a slight majority that agrees with their point of view? Or to go in the opposite direction, shouldn't every neighborhood or block or apartment building be able to make their own laws? What is sacrosanct about the "state" that is not totally arbitrary? No one who lives in any of our 50 states was born there when the constitution was forged. It's an accident of nature. Why should people be forced to accept the views of their immediate neighbors?

8. hylandrdet

hylandrdet Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49

Hey, dill-hole; I'm saying that illegalizing abortion operations won't stop abortions procedures from happening.

Abortion is an evidable sin when it comes to certain people; we, as americans, have a choice as to how to deal with it; we'll either chose to use a percision instrument or a clotheshanger?

Whatever helps you sleep at night, bub!

All I can do is use the instrument that I trust; the word of GOD. Say my peace, then pray; I won't force morality on anyone. Last I recalled, I never lost a child to abortion, while consulting women of their choices.

The legal side of me says that as long as abortion is legal, women have a right to do it; my moral side fights to establish programs for women seeking alternative steps.

So when you think about it, abortion is your problem, not mine!

9. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Damn nuke---why should anyone have to do anything? I mean like it's a free country man! :sleep:

10. Nuc

Nuc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Glib, yet totally vacant. Have a serious response?