What Hitler's Jewish neighbor saw

guno

Gold Member
Mar 18, 2014
NYC and NC
A great piece of first person history

"I knew only too well, even when I was 8 years old -- I knew it was a very bad business for us."

Edgar Feuchtwanger first saw Adolf Hitler on Munich's Prinzregentenplatz in 1932, a year before Hitler would be named chancellor.
"I was being taken for a walk by my nanny," he recalled. "I passed his front door just as he came out. And he saw, and I saw him, and he looked at me quite benevolently."
"There were some people, of course, in the street who immediately shouted 'Heil Hitler.' "
"If he had known who I was, I wouldn't be here to talk to you," Feuchtwanger, now 91

What Hitler's Jewish neighbor saw - CNN.com

How did this happen: released 6 weeks later, and then returned for his wife. Amazing they survived.

When his father was released six weeks later, the family managed to obtain entry visas to Britain, and in February 1939, Edgar boarded a train bound for London. His father accompanied him as far as the Dutch border and then returned to Germany to finish arrangements for him and his wife to follow. In May of that year the family was reunited in England. From 1944 to 1947 he studied at Magdalene College in Cambridge, where he received his doctorate in 1958. From 1959 he taught history at University of Southampton[4] until he retired in 1989.[5]In 2003 he was awarded the Federal Cross of Merit.[6]

A great piece of first person history

"I knew only too well, even when I was 8 years old -- I knew it was a very bad business for us."

Edgar Feuchtwanger first saw Adolf Hitler on Munich's Prinzregentenplatz in 1932, a year before Hitler would be named chancellor.
"I was being taken for a walk by my nanny," he recalled. "I passed his front door just as he came out. And he saw, and I saw him, and he looked at me quite benevolently."
"There were some people, of course, in the street who immediately shouted 'Heil Hitler.' "
"If he had known who I was, I wouldn't be here to talk to you," Feuchtwanger, now 91

What Hitler's Jewish neighbor saw - CNN.com
He was Hitler´s neighbor and only saw him once in lifetime?

Forum List

Back