What Happens if Nobody Gets the Majority Before the Convention?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Everything I read and see on TV makes it seem like this eventuality will somehow be the end of the Republican party.

Really?

I thought our nation was built upon the people selecting representatives to work out the future of this country. All of these primaries ARE NOT the people actually voting for the next president or vice president of the United States! They ARE the act of selecting DELEGATES to a convention to decide who the party will NOMINATE for the voters to decide in November.

Okay, so here's the slippery slope. Who are those delegates? And what holds them to represent the desires of the voters who selected them? Exactly no more than those elected to the House or the Senate! We elect them to represent US and they often end up seeking only their own welfare. The same thing can happen at the convention. Plain and simple.

I then ask this question. What is the likelihood of the convention selecting someone over than the front runner? Cruz who The Establishment and his other Senators despise? Rubio who is having trouble winning his own state? Kasich who, while being a good governor, does not have the resounding support of the RNC?

An outsider? Highly unlikely as even though the RNC has shown its continued stupidity and desire to self-destruct over the years cannot be this stupid this time. Or can they?

Like it or not, I firmly believe that if The Donald is withing a hundred or so of the majority, he's going to be the nominee. If anything, it will be the media that will make the convention something it isn't.

All of this comes from this story, Unless Someone Gets To 1,237 Delegates, The Republican Convention Is Going To Be A Giant Mess @ Doug Ross @ Journal: Unless Someone Gets To 1,237 Delegates, The Republican Convention Is Going To Be A Giant Mess

I think you underestimate the lengths the GOP will go to to deny T-rump the nomination. If he has less than 51% there will be a contested convention, and they will appoint the nominee of their choice. If he has 51% or more, they will change the rules.

What will happen? Probably Paul Ryan will become the compromise nominee. Hopefully Dems will be ready to repel the menace.

Excellent post at the link.

However, one thing to remember - before the convention starts, the members of the RNC will meet to discuss the rules. They may and will make changes. If the rules are considered "major", it will require a vote by the delegates. But, all this business is usually so low key, most non-professional delegates don't even know what's going on or what they're working for. Each delegation has "captains" or other professionals to try to keep them under control. So, it depends upon how new they are or what they know about the entire way things run.

Forum List

Back