What does your child's name say about YOU?

My best friend was supposed to be named "Verna" after her dad...but the nurses misunderstood and put her name as "Verda."

So Verda she remained.

I named my son after a famous Liverpool footballer. I didn't tell my wife of this fact until after he was born. But the name is Irish and she loves all things Irish, including the name, so no big deal. Plus, its a cool name.

Here is a conversation my wife and I had several years ago with a beaming new mother.

Us "What is her name?"

Mother "She's Amiracle."

My wife and I stare at each other, thinking she misheard us.

Us 'Yes, she is a miracle. What is her name?"

Mother "Amiracle."

As a foreigner, many of these names are unusual to me, especially in the black community. As I understand it, many of the names are just made up of sounds that the mother finds pleasing, which may or may not be derivative of traditional names.

My boys had the option to change their name, they didn't want to.

Casanova goes by Cazzie, he use to like to be called Cas but so many comments he switched to Cazzie. I called him Cazzie as a little boy. He hates it when service MEN like at a rental car place gives him crap about his name. Girls tend to love it, he is pretty use to all the attention.

Shanti goes by Sean, I told him he can change it, when they did the legal last name change, I told them no additional charge to change your first name too and you will not hurt my feelings one bit...but they didn't.

I won't tell you my first name but I will say that when I was a kid it was an unusual name. I received an endless litany of ribbing and teasing because of it.

Needless to say, I hate my first name.

And when I had the chance to name my son, I named him Bob.**

**I actually named him after my dad but I believe Bob is better than my name.

I named all my children with normal names ... and they pretty much fit their personalities. There was a little problem with my son - there were way too many Paul's, Anthony's, Jimmy's, etc. They all either referred to as "Big _____," "Little______," "Victor's Paul," or "Maria's Jimmy," etc. I decided on Christopher ... only to find out there was one other Christopher in the family!!!

My first name was very common when I was a kid - a variation of a saint. In fact, I had two friends with the same first name my freshman year in college. It was funny when we went to the student union together.

It's not so common of a name, now.

I didn't like it at one point in my life, but as an adult, I like it a lot. It's a kind name.

The rest of my name is from confirmation. Just pick a saint and you're good to go. I picked the same saint, just a different variation.

I don't like my name Terry at all. All my life and still to this day people ask is your real name Theresa and they always spell my name with an i instead of a y.

My mother told me I was named after her first love, so I was named after a fucking man. Great, just great!

I have a couple of questions, if I may.

What do y'all think of the name Finnegan?
A good friend of mine is pregnant, due next month and is having a boy. This is the name her and her husband picked out.

And .. have you ever, or how often do you go to call one of your children, and end up calling the name of another one of your children? I know I'm not alone here. Sometimes I just end up saying .... "whatever your name is!" No disrespect to my children, it's just my frustration because I've messed up their names again. LOL

A good friend of mine is pregnant, due next month and is having a boy. This is the name her and her husband picked out.

And .. have you ever, or how often do you go to call one of your children, and end up calling the name of another one of your children? I know I'm not alone here. Sometimes I just end up saying .... "whatever your name is!" No disrespect to my children, it's just my frustration because I've messed up their names again. LOL

Personally if wouldn't have a problem with that as a middle name and they could call him Finn which is a bitchin' nickname.

All kids should have a cool nickname.

Finnegan, well that child will end up being called finny for Fin, it isn't bad but who am I to give an opinion on a name. LOL

Oh I do that too with my kids. The reason why is because I usually call out to one child more then the others therefore that is the first name that comes out automatic. When I do that, I look at the child and after calling all 4 names and say "You". lol

My first name was very common when I was a kid - a variation of a saint. In fact, I had two friends with the same first name my freshman year in college. It was funny when we went to the student union together.

I didn't like it at one point in my life, but as an adult, I like it a lot. It's a kind name.

The rest of my name is from confirmation. Just pick a saint and you're good to go. I picked the same saint, just a different variation.
Aloyisius?

LOL ~ Terry! That made me laugh because I've done that as well. Throw my husband into the mix and forget it! lol

As far as Finnegan goes, I agree Skull Pilot ... I think it would make a great .. oh excuse me .. bitchin' nickname. Grin. This is their plan for when he enters this world. But when she told me, I had to play it off as if I liked it, which I didn't. But hey ... it's not my child.

LOL ~ Terry! That made me laugh because I've done that as well. Throw my husband into the mix and forget it! lol

As far as Finnegan goes, I agree Skull Pilot ... I think it would make a great .. oh excuse me .. bitchin' nickname. Grin. This is their plan for when he enters this world. But when she told me, I had to play it off as if I liked it, which I didn't. But hey ... it's not my child.
My mother inlaw had 10 kids, OMG it was so funny when I was young to listen to her go through all the names and still get it wrong. I remember thinking back those days (I was young) that I would never be like that. Oh boy did I insert foot and it is still in my mouth. :lol:

I like that name. Finn is a good, strong nickname.

my first name was very common when i was a kid - a variation of a saint. In fact, i had two friends with the same first name my freshman year in college. It was funny when we went to the student union together.

I didn't like it at one point in my life, but as an adult, i like it a lot. It's a kind name.

aloyisius?
lol!

My mother inlaw had 10 kids, OMG it was so funny when I was young to listen to her go through all the names and still get it wrong. I remember thinking back those days (I was young) that I would never be like that. Oh boy did I insert foot and it is still in my mouth. :lol:

heh .. heh ... heh .. yup. Funny how that happens ay?

10 kids huh?
Please, pass me the gun from your avatar. lol No way. I couldn't do it.

I like that name. Finn is a good, strong nickname.

If you plan on using a nickname fron the start though, why not just name the kid Finn and be done with it?

One of my kids has a fairly unusual name but its very easy to spell.The problem I have is that many kids in special ed have non-phonetic spelling of their names, and leads to sloppy record keeping.

In fact we have many "cousins" who spell their LAST names differently.

In these situations - "special" equals "special ed"

I knew a guy who was cousins with Brett FaVre. His side of the family changed the spelling to FaRve.

Forum List

Back