What does America stand for? and what makes an American Patriot?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by frigidweirdo, Oct 1, 2017.

1. frigidweirdo

frigidweirdo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,678
    So, patriotism is loving the anthem? Loving the flag?

I don't see flag and anthem in any of the definitions of what a patriot is.

If you love your country, would you not want to see it IMPROVE?

2. Mac1958

Mac1958 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,854
    I just said that patriotism is in the eye of the beholder.

If you think I described patriotism, great, I'll defend your right to say it.

Sadly, I know there are many who wouldn't return that courtesy.

3. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,222
    Similarly, black NFL players feel that the government is depriving black men of their constitutional rights, so they are waging a non-violent protest in an attempt to shed light on the issue.

4. frigidweirdo

frigidweirdo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,678
    I know what you said. I'm trying to get at your definition. Perhaps after thinking more about you'll consider different things. Perhaps you don't really want to consider different angles and push your own views on things.

What you described is what a lot of people on the right will tell you is patriotism. For me it doesn't add up.

5. Mac1958

Mac1958 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,854
    I'd love to know how you think my complete openness to freedom of expression, opinion and communication is "pushing my own views on things".

Two people can both believe they're patriotic and hold completely opposite views of a country. It would probably be best for the country if they talked to each other.

I don't know how else to put this.

6. frigidweirdo

frigidweirdo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,678
    Two people can have different views. Sometimes those two people will be amazingly stubborn and refuse to see things from another person's point of view. Sometimes people will be open to discussing things.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ShaklesOfBigGov

ShaklesOfBigGov Restore the Republic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,512
    The problem is, I haven’t found any views by the Founders in writing our Constitution where it was the duty of the rich to cover for the failures and short comings of others. If we believe in what they wrote about individual liberty and individual pursuits, that means we have to accept failure and the lessons that are then utilized in determining your own decisions to move forward. The left wants to take personal responsibility and hand that over to the federal government, as if someone thousands of miles away knows what my personal interests are and what I need. The founders did not write a Constitution based on the government providing for the collective whole, they did not include an amendment or “right” where it’s the duty of government to provide and support for those who refuse to provide for themselves. This idea that government MUST provide for my personal needs is simply not what the Founders wrote about and signed, so let’s not look to the rich to bail out every bad decision or lack of educational skill or pursuit the individual didn’t feel the need to work for. Our own decisions and personal choices is a direct result of our own drive to perseverance (or lack there of) in determining how successful we become. Individual liberty and the individual pursuit of happiness is not a government provision but an individual responsibility. Personal freedom and “liberty” comes with an acceptance of individual choices.

8. frigidweirdo

frigidweirdo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,678
    You say all this, and I don't necessarily disagree with you, but you say it based on government for the rich. The Founders didn't necessarily intend for the situation to become like this. Yes, the rich controlled politics way back when, but then the masses didn't have an education. They put in place things for the people to be able to change the Constitution to make it fit the times, this hasn't been done.

I'm not talking about government providing everything, I'm talking about THE PEOPLE being in control of their own country.

9. PredFan

PredFan Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,600
    It's not uncivilized to carry a gun.

10. Tehon

Tehon Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,068
    The constitution is a document that was intended to provide the framework for the governance of the collective whole by the collective whole.

When you start with a faulty premise you end with faulty conclusions.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017