What did Paul mean by saying:

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Avatar4321, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,165
    I've been pondering some things about God's covenants and in my studies Ive come across that scripture multiple times. I thought Id ask in general what it means. Perhaps the Spirit will enlighten to conversation and we will all have a better understanding of what Paul meant.

2. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,982
    Its meaning can not be discerned out of context. One would need to read the entire chapter and perhaps the book. You should know that. as for its meaning pray for an answer.

3. Terral

Terral Terral Corp CEO

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Hi Avatar:

This is a very good question that confuses many professing Christians. First of all, the members of Christ's Body are saved by God's grace through faith apart from works, as it is written:

Our salvation is the free gift of God, but we are created in Christ Jesus 'for good works,' which is the focus of Paul's statements to the Philippians above. We cannot be judged for sin, because that was settled at Calvary; as our sin was placed upon Him who knew no sin. 2Cor. 5:21. However, we are judged on whether our works are good or bad for rewards (1Cor. 3:10-12):

Now that you are saved, be careful about how you work out that salvation; because your heavenly rewards are at stake. ;0)

I do Terral's Bible Study every Sunday at 1-3PM Eastern Time at I AM Consciousness Radio

In Christ Jesus,

Terral
    Terrals 2012 Research

4. koshergrl

koshergrl Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21,285
    I agree with Terral, I think...

I'm expanding my understanding of salvation...it has taken years and years, but things are still being revealed to me.

And one of them is that although anyone who accepts the gift of salvation is saved, we will STILL be judged and gifts will be meted out accordingly. We will all be with God in heaven, as those saved by Grace...but we will (I think) be ranked and rewarded according to our earthly walk, aside from salvation.

Our sins are forgiven and we will attain heaven...

but we will still have to account for our behavior after our salvation.

I think that's what Paul was saying. So while we all should be joyous over our salvation...we will still have to answer for our sins, particularly those that we accrue AFTER we are saved.

5. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    It means exactly what it says, nothing more nothing less.

6. percysunshine

percysunshine Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,888
    I am looking at Avatars avatar...and I am thinking she is being abducted by aliens. Some one call 911.