What are you reading?

After reading a couple philosophy'ish books, I am in brain candy mode -

77494DAADB0F46279A3905560AF8722E70FA9E21.jpeg

JD Vance From Hillbilly Elegy said:
The next day at school, I felt nervous and hoped that the bully would take a day off. But in the predictable chaos as the class lined up for lunch, the bully— his name was Chris asked my little charge whether he planned on crying that day. "Shut up" I said. "Just leave him alone" Chris approached me, pushed me, and asked what I planned to do about it. I walked right up to him, pivoted my right hip, and sucker-punched him right in the stomach. He immediately— and terrifyingly-dropped to his knees, seemingly unable to breathe. By the time I realized that I'd really injured him, he was alternately coughing and trying to catch his breath. He even spit up a small amount of blood.

Chris went to the school nurse, and after I confirmed that 1 hadn't killed him and would avoid the police, my thoughts immediately turned to the school justice system whether I'd be suspended or expelled and for how long. While the other kids played at recess and Chris recovered with the nurse, the teacher brought me into the classroom. I thought she was going to tell me that she'd called my parents and I'd be kicked out of school. Instead, she gave me a lecture about fighting and made me practice my handwriting instead of playing outside. I detected a hint of approval from the teacher, and I sometimes wonder whether there were school politics at work in her inability to appropriately discipline the class bully. At any rate, Mamaw found out about the fight directly from me and praised me for doing something really good. It was the last time I ever got in a fistfight.
No, Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J.D. Vance is not primarily about school bullying, but it, as well as other forms of raw physical and mental aggression, as well as redemption, feature heavily in Hillbilly Elegy. The adjective "searing" is overused in reviews of Hillbilly Elegy but it is unavoidable. JD Vance has been exposed to and participated in life on both sides, Ivy League elite and downtrodden Appalachian culture. He observes "that working class boys like me do much worse in school because they view schoolwork as a feminine endeavor. Can you change that with a new law or problem? Probably not." Yet, the book shows incredible compassion, and attempts at understanding, of the people he's inevitably left behind in his journey from a lower-class boy in danger of failure to Yale Law School Graduate and finally to VP candidate.

Personally, I have not settled my vote. What I will say is that the available copies in the Westchester library system went from 25 to 0 overnight. I am giving this book five stars, no matter which way I vote.

I just finished reading Miracle of Deliverance by Stephen Harper. I came upon this book entirely by accident. I was looking for a book by an author with the same name, a former Prime Minister of Canada. The description of the book looked intriguing and I decided to put it on the hold list at the library.

The book makes the case, and a very strong case, that the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki saved a lot more lives than they cost. The book explores a little known aspect of this argument. The British were gearing up for a D-Day style invasion of the Malay Peninsula and Singapore. Of course that invasion never happened. The Japanese surrender after the nuclear bombings ensured as much. The military was fully geared up for the invasion. The probability is that invasion, rather than being the spectacular success that the invasion of Normandy was, would have been a bloody fiasco. The author also makes the case that Britain, France and the Netherlands failed in their endeavor, in World War ii, to recapture their old colonial empires.

It is always easier to read and review books with which you agree. That is why I resisted the temptation to give the book five stars. How about 4 1/2?

I just finished reading (or skimming) The Rediscovery of North America (Paperback) by Barry Lopez.Very poetically and persuasively written polemic. It's bottom line; successful white explorers bad, primitive savages good. Also, horribly misleading. I like Barry Lopez, b ut this book was a propaganda tract for a student union, not a serious essay or piece of work. No comparison with works of his that I've loved, to wit, Arctic Dreams by Barry López. Also this book does not take into account modern scholarship such as War before civilization by Lawrence H. Keeley. Spoiler alert; the natives were not peaceful with each other and did not live in harmony with the land.

A definite "one star."

An excerpt:

Judah P. Benjamin by Pierce Butler said:
Being contemptuously referred to by an opponent in debate (some place the scene in the Senate, some on the hustings in Louisiana) as "that Jew from Louisiana," Benjamin retorted: "It is true that I am a Jew, and when my ancestors were receiving their Ten Commandments from the immediate hand of Deity, amidst the thunderings and lightnings of Mt. Sinai, the ancestors of the distinguished gentleman who is opposed to me were herding swine in the forests of Scandinavia."
This was Judah P. Benjamin's reaction to the disparagement of his birth religion. Judah P. Benjamin was a remarkable historical figure, having been a successful Louisiana lawyer, a U.S. Senator, a Confederate Attorney General, Secretary of War and eventually Secretary of State. He thereafter fled to Great Britain and France, in part to reunite with his wife and daughter and in larger part to avoid he imprisonment and ignominy of being imprisoned or executed by the victorious Union.

I just finished reading Judah P. Benjamin by Pierce Butler. I picked this up at random in my synagogue library. I had always been curious about the subject individual. The inside cover gives copyright dates of 1883 and 1910. I doubt the former since the book describes his death. The book was, no doubt, a hagiography. That being said, I'll still give it "five stars." It is definitely written in an older style, and unashamedly gives sanction to the anti-black bigotry of the age. That being said, it is a thrilling tale of the Civil War from a Southern point of view. It is a splendid biography of a man, who but for his taking the "wrong side" of the Civil War, would have been recognized as one of America's greats, perhaps in the same sentence as Benjamin Franklin, John Adams and Benjamin Rush. He was by all accounts a brilliant orator and advocate. Perhaps, ameliorating his negative side, a lawyer advocates for who hires them; full stop!

Last edited:
I just started the Panama Papers

It goes into how the investigation came about and how many people were involved.

So far, so good
I’ve not read extensively about the Panama Papers but recall reading several columns. One claimed they expose few Americans for tax scam’s because the extreme wealthy in America pay so little in income tax, they don’t need tax shelters. Makes sense but is it true? Could be they are merely protecting American billionaires.
This column indicates the US government and Soros is behind the Papers in an effort to harm Putin, yet claims the Papers make no mention of Putin.
Wikileaks Exposes the Panama Papers - LewRockwell

I just completed this book. It was very good. I’d not read much about the German soldier’s experience on the Eastern Front, other than at Stalingrad. The death and suffering he describes is unbelievable.
1723981235163.png

I just finished reading 𝐹𝑖𝑒𝑟𝑦 𝐵𝑢𝑡 𝑀𝑜𝑠𝑡𝑙𝑦 𝑃𝑒𝑎𝑐𝑒𝑓𝑢𝑙: 𝑇ℎ𝑒 2020 𝑅𝑖𝑜𝑡𝑠 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝐺𝑎𝑠𝑙𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑜𝑓 𝐴𝑚𝑒𝑟𝑖𝑐𝑎 by Julio Rosas. I picked up the recommendation to read the book from another user of Goodreads. It was a good recommend. To my mind, the book focuses on misleading reporting by the major news outlets concerning the events following George Floyd murder in 2020. During this time, suddenly, covid was no longer a concern as far as locking people up in their apartments. It was more important for people to be allowed to riot.

The book zooms in on the "abject failure of authorities to maintain order and ensure public safety-creating a power vacuum that existed for days" and "what happens when those entrusted to enforce the laws and protect the populace refuse to do so." One of the dramatic results, in Kenosha, Wisconsin, was the eruption of vigilante justice. The author concludes that "that having a significant police presence and showing a willingness to act to protect civil order—would go a long way toward keeping the entire community safe."

This is a subject that most authors are afraid to cover, at risk of banishment from polite, educated society. This does not deter him. In his words: "But what do I know? I'm just a college dropout." The book reads surprisingly well given his limited education. I am giving the book a "four" since I reserve "fives" for a select few; I would give it a 4 1/2.

I just finished Furious George by George Karl. Any sports fan would love the book.

Excerpts:

David Cordingly said:
There is nothing romantic about modern piracy, and as in earlier times, it is not uncommon for the captain and crew to be seriously wounded or killed if they fail to cooperate. Since piracy is simply armed robbery on the high seas, and has been accompanied by a catalog of cruelties and atrocities, it is surprising that it should have acquired a comparatively glamorous image. Part of the explanation may be found in the exotic locations where many of the pirates operated. The cruising grounds of the most notorious seventeenth- and eighteenth-century pirates were the tropical waters of the Caribbean, the west coast of Africa, and the Indian Ocean. Coral islands, lagoons, and sandy beaches fringed with coconut palms have an extraordinary attraction for those brought up in colder northern latitudes, and this is why even a small-time pirate like Calico Jack, who attacked fishing boats in the seas around Jamaica, has more appeal than a bank robber or a thief who specializes in raids on main-street banks or stores. There is also the romance of the sea. The mythical voyages of Odysseus, the travels of Columbus, Magellan, and Captain Cook, and the sea stories of Conrad and Melville have fascinated generations of land-based readers. The pirates who roamed the seas in search of plunder share in this fascination.

The films of the thirties and forties took the pirate stories of fact and fiction and added glamour. The swashbuckling heroes played by Douglas Fairbanks, Sr., and Errol Flynn were handsome and chivalrous but bore little resemblance to the pirates of the Caribbean on whom they were based.

The fact is that we want to believe in the world of the pirates as it has been portrayed in the adventure stories, the plays, and the films over the years. We want the myths, the treasure maps, the buried treasure, the walking the plank, the resolute pirate captains with their cutlasses and earrings, and the seamen with their wooden legs and parrots. We prefer to forget the barbaric tortures and the hangings, and the desperate plight of men shipwrecked on hostile coasts. For most of us the pirates will always be romantic outlaws living far from civilization on some distant sunny shore.
I just finished reading Under the Black Flag: The Romance and the Reality of Life Among the Pirates by David Cordingly. I purchased this book on a whim from the gift shop of Fort Macon State Park in North Carolina, which I rarely do since it is a decidedly uneconomical way of obtaining reading material. It was decidedly worth the purchase. First the quibbles; it is a slower read than most since I had no previous familiarity with the subject matter, the history of piracy. My knowledge was limited to childhood entertainment such as Peter Pan and children's editions of the works of Robert Louis Stevenson and Daniel DeFoe. This goes back to Second Grade, 1964-5. Also, the descriptions of pirate violence, and of the civil authorities' execution of many of the pirates was quite graphic.
Among the many things the author does is make clear that there was nothing romantic about pirate life, or civilian interactions with pirates. They were extremely violent. One could make a serious case that pirates could not coexist with civilization. In fact, according to the book, many were granted pardons and promptly returned to a life of violent crime. The book covered lots of material, and was thoroughly absorbing. Of particular interest to me, as a history buff, was the fact that pirates were rapidly eliminated as advanced commerce developed between Europe and the Americas. In fact, piracy is ongoing in many areas that are now called "Third World." The struggle against piracy can be analogized to modern "total warfare."
I have included, below, a link to Great Big Sea's song "Captain Kidd" and a sea shanty version that is but one example of the romanticizing of pirate life.

Forum List

Back