Mess around be D.O.A., be on your way
Cause it ain't enough time here, ain't enough lime here
For you to shine here, deal with many women
But treat dimes fair, and I'm
Bigger than the city lights down in Times Square
Yeah, yeah yeah

tumblr_mag8fhE96c1qj6dh1o1_250.gif

Listening to the Thelonious Monk birthday broadcast on WKCR

Born 100 years ago today in Rocky Mount North Carolina, Monk is one of the strongest icons of the American Classical Music and was a composer like no other.

Favorite Thelonious Monk story, from his son:

Monk was playing a club somewhere with a quartet. At one point the band took a break. Bandleader Monk, who was a stickler for things to happen on time, told the band "twenty minutes".

Twenty minutes later Monk took his place at the piano. Bassist was ready, sax was ready. No drummer. Apparently the drummer had ventured out to a nearby strip joint. Monk said nothing, just sat. Waiting. Finally the drummer came rushing back in and, again without a word, Monk went right into the music. After establishing the theme the sax took his solo, back in. Monk takes his solo, back in to the theme. The bassist took his solo, and back in. As the three musicians laid out for the drummer's solo, Monk motioned to the other musicians to follow him. The three walked outside and just stood there.

For an hour. :eek:

Drummer's back there all by himself, having to come up with whatever he can come up with for an hour. Alone. No safety net.

Finally the three came back and took their places to rescue the hapless errant drummer. That guy was never late again.

That's whatcha call Monk Zen.

Berta Rojas "Danza Paraguaya"

A piece by the famed classical guitarist Augustin Barrios.

The music is exquisite. The ever-revolving camera work, not so much.

Forum List

Back