What A REAL Gulag Is!!

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Bonnie, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Among the Intellectualoids
    Gulag Guantanamo
    By Christopher Orlet
    Published 6/2/2005 12:07:06 AM

http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=8245

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Pasquinade

Pasquinade Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read with interest your post about Amnesty International, although I agree that there are indeed differences in Solzhenitsyn's Gulag and what is happening at Gautanemo Bay, I do take issue with your comment about the 650 "terrorists and terrorist allies". The fact is that these people have been locked up without charge or trial, denied access to legal representation all for what? I do not see any evidence of a decrease in terrorist attacks in Iraq or Afghanistan.
    I for one appluad Amnesty International and the work they are doing to publicise human rights violations around the world, sure they are not everyone's cup of tea and I'm sure that there are Governments around the world who cringe everytime they hear the word Amnesty International. Maybe if more people took an interest in what was happening in this world instead of driving their gas guzzling SUV's to the mall then Amnesty would have a much easier job and we could do something to ease the suffereing of those less fortunate than the majority of the population.
    Anyway I liked your piece and I look forward to reading more.

3. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

If you are shooting at US Forces, you are an enemy. As such, you aren't afforded the same luxories as regular 'criminals'...Health...welfare...religous and dietary needs? Sure.

Everything else is gravy.

4. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Nor did the North Vietnamese see a decrease in our attacks when they took POWs. You seem to lack a fundamental understanding of what a POW is, and why they are taken during wartime.

5. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    When Amnesty International starts documenting humans rights abuses in China, Cuba, Zimbabwe, Darfur/Sudan, Pakistan, Iran, Syria, Saudi Arabia, and Liberia, just name the ones off the top of my head, then I would start paying more attention to them. As it is, AI seems to only whine and cry about human rights abuses when it fits with their pre-conceived political agenda.

6. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    All this is, is Sorros spending his money to try and make the US look bad as per usual.

7. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    this says it all................

... the Muslim head of Amnesty International, Secretary General Irene Zubaida Khan called Guantanamo Bay "the Gulag of our time." ......

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Lots of links at site:

http://www.indcjournal.com/archives/001799.php

If that isn't enough, check this out for what a gulag really was:

http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/085051.php

9. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Great stuff Kathianne!

I wonder if Bush realizes yet that all of this is being done to remove him from office? And we thought the election was actually over.... Silly us!! :rolleyes:

10. IControlThePast

IControlThePast Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The way I interpreted the statement, that Gitmo is the "gulag of our times" doesn't say that it actually has the same exact conditions as a Russian gulag, which was undboutedly worse, but that it is similar because it holds detainees, who may have been tortured/beaten to death, who have not been convicted of crimes, and because its overall function is to be a means for controlling political opposition to the US, which is the same purpose the Russian gulags served. Most of the people there are foreign civilians, not legally POWs. The whole reason they are kept off US soil is to try and avoid some legal restrictions, like being held indefinately without a trial.

I wouldn't quite argue that AI has had an un-American agenda after their report about the breaches of human rights in Iraq leading up to the war.