Whale Stranding: Sonar or Lunar?

Discussion in 'Environment' started by JBeukema, Aug 8, 2009.

1. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    Whale Stranding: Sonar or Lunar? -- Morell 2009 (807): 2 -- ScienceNOW

2. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,678
    I always just figured the whales were committing suicide. That's what they wanted to do so no one should try to push em back into the water.

They have a "right" to kill themselves.

3. Sarah G

Sarah G When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,985
    Although this has always been so interesting a subject to me, I've never taken the time to research it much. I've read that sometimes one is sick or old and their navigation systems become faulty. Any of the whales following the leader simply become stranded right along with that one.

It could also be El Nino. Whatever it is, it's sad, they're so old and awesome.

4. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,312
    I always figured that people like yourself are ignorant, selfish, and care nothing about the world that you are handing to our children. In fact, care nothing at all about our children as long as you have gotten "yours".

Must be stifling, living within the bars of your own selfishness, prevented from seeing to world by walls of ignorance that are self constructed.

5. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,870
    Navy loses sonar case in appeals court...
    [​IMG]
    Federal Appeals Court Rejects Navy Sonar-Use Rules
    Jul 16, 2016 -- A federal appeals court ruled Friday that the U.S. Navy was wrongly allowed to use sonar that could harm whales and other marine life.

6. Crick

Crick Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,704
    At first we were using standardize "Marine Mammal Mitigation" measures. Watches were trained in whale spotting and then stationed as lookouts. Where technologically possible, passive sonar was monitored by another trained individual listening for whale calls and echo ranging. Any contact within a given range required immediate sonar shutdown and it could not be bought up again till the lookouts had no sightings for 30 minutes.

This was taken much more seriously in PACFLT than LANTFLT. In San Diego harbor we've been stopped due to the appearance of a sea turtle. I appreciate that and feel the for turtle (he's an air breather so he's got air behind his ear drums and sonar will hurt him) but it surprised me to see sailors taking such a liberal interpretation.