Whale of a tale

CSM

Jul 7, 2004
Northeast US
Went up to my boat as usual. Had a beautiful weekend with great weather. I woke up Sunday morning and was out on the aft deck when I saw a big boil in the water, indicating something BIG was down there; then a mooring ball nearby started moving around very wierdly (aka JAWS!!). Suddenly a whale came up not 20 feet from the boat. It was a young beluga whale looking for someone to play with. It stayed around for about 4 hours. I even got to pet it when it came up to my dinghy and smiled! It was very comical because the whale would come up to a dinghy and if it had a small motor would push the motor out of the water (not running of course). If you put the engine down again it would push it back up. It would come right up to you and wait to be petted too.

Please note that NO ONE chased the whale. It would chase the people! When it finally got tired of playing, it just left. I was standing on the bow of my boat by this time and it swam right over and circled beneathe me four or five times, stuck its nose out of the water as if to say good bye and then swam off. It was awesome!

I will post some pics in the Animals category if anyone is interested.

Forum List

Back