"Welfare Soldiers"

Discussion in 'Military' started by andy753, Jan 31, 2011.

1. andy753

andy753 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm kind of in the middle of a debate. This thread might piss people off, but I'm just telling a couple sides. My father and uncle both served in Vietnam, both are mid 60's in age, both retired, and both hardcore military till the end. I also know of 2 guys, both were only in the military for a short period. Here goes...

My uncle and father consider these guys "leeches" to the system. One was discharged after 2 or 3 years (I think) due to medical conditions he had growing up that didn't surface till later (seizures). The other was injured in Kuwait, but he was in less than a year. They say these guys shouldn't receive the same benefits they do because the didn't go thru the same stuff they did. I think they are just pissed off grumpy old men.

My uncle saw combat for a short period, and has some good scars on his left arm/shoulder, and recieves $3000 a month and free medical care. He hasn't has a job in 25 years. My father has a bum knee but only retired from security last year. They both act like every "civilian" in the world in a piece of shit . And they will tell you that to your face. At every family dinner in fact.

What do you think are the qualifications of lifetime benefits and pay after service? 1 year? 5 years? 10 years? 1 combat mission? 5? 20?

2. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    Sounds like your relatives have issues still. Nam did things not just to the body. Things they saw. Things they witnessed. Their "homecoming", which is a far cry from what our soldiers now receive. Perhaps your dad and uncle are still angry at the system and how it affected them..and the people here who thought of them as "baby killers". Not counting the actual combat they were in. Were you there? No.

I know many Nam vets that refuse to talk about their experiences. And probably for damn good reason, Im guessing.

Concerning your question about how long one must be in the service to get lifetime benefits. In my opinion, if they were sent to any hell hole, they should get benefits.

I know a leech or two. They suck off the system, but they never put their lives on the line. They just suck up the welfare check, have another kid or two, go to the food bank, steal sugar packets from table tops when they PAY for dinner, take ashtrays and towels from motel rooms and collect foodstamps every month. But they drive nice cars, go out to dinner often, and never are short of money when it comes to a new DVD that just came out or a playstation game.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,678
    "All gave some, some gave all".

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  4. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    They served and were injured; we take care of them. That's the way you maintain a military. You have to give them some incentive for risking death.

5. daveman

daveman Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,758
    We owe it to our veterans to take care of their service-connected disabilities, especially if the disabilities were caused in combat.

I think there's some confusion here. A retiree (someone who serves 20 years or more in uniform) earns a pension for the rest of his life. A veteran who has served less time but has a VA disability rating of 50% or more will draw a monthly check based on the percentage of disability. Under 50% there is no check; the percentage is given as a tax credit.

Did your father and uncle retire from the military after 20 or more years?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Mini 14

Mini 14 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +570
    For me, if you emerge from basic as a serviceman, I owe you.

All of them served me.

I owe all of them.

And I proudly write that check.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    The one thing I've learned determining eligibility for DHS...never take anyone's word on income, lol. Not that people necessarily deliberately lie; they just don't know. The $3000 these guys take home, if it is $3000, may represent money coming from a variety of different pots. There may be social security, SSD, a pension, AND VA disability.

8. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    They served, they were released for medical conditions, their contract gives them bennnies.

What's the problem?

9. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    If you got the balls to raise your right hand and swear to up-hold the Constitution even if it means your life...

I don't care if you tripped down the steps at bootcamp and damaged your knee so bad you can't serve, you get the bennies.

Unless your freinds are totally messed up, they more than likely are not getting the same as retired Vets.

10. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    :salute: