Welding Aluminum....

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
Damn this guy is good...
FB_IMG_1643680568924.jpg

I envy welders. That's one skill I never learned.

Welding the basic stuff isn't that difficult.
I just bought a mig welder and started to weld. With the internet you can lay a pretty good bead in a week or so.
When I first started I was using flux core and I got pretty frustrated, once I started using shielding gas it became much easier.
And I can say that I've never had a weld fail even on high stress welds like leaf spring hangers.

I just bought a mig welder and started to weld. With the internet you can lay a pretty good bead in a week or so.
When I first started I was using flux core and I got pretty frustrated, once I started using shielding gas it became much easier.
And I can say that I've never had a weld fail even on high stress welds like leaf spring hangers.

I was an electronics bench tech for 12 years, so I can solder like a motherfucker. But welding is just not something I've ever tried much.

I am talking pretty stuff, yeah I can put a gob and it will hold ...but I need to grind and polish the heck out of it

I am talking pretty stuff, yeah I can put a gob and it will hold ...but I need to grind and polish the heck out of it

I've made it past that on basic welds,I even got the upside down stuff down you just need to cool it down and dont lag or it'll start falling on ya.
My welds look pretty good after years of practice and generally dont need any grinding at this point.
I wanna learn Tig,thats where you see the really nice welds.

My soldering skills suck. I can make it work but it ain't pretty.
I used to solder holding the wire with my teeth, one hand on the solder iron the other holding the solder...lol

It took me 25 years to figure out melt the solder first on the wire

Edit held the solder in my teeth.

I used to solder holding the wire with my teeth, one hand on the solder iron the other holding the solder...lol

It took me 25 years to figure out melt the solder first on the wire

Edit held the solder in my teeth.

The only soldering I can do well is melting solder in a large wire battery end.
Fill that fucker with solder and jam the wire in and crimp it.

I was an electronics bench tech for 12 years, so I can solder like a motherfucker. But welding is just not something I've ever tried much.

The most difficult thing I've ever soldered was my pool heater circuit board.
They wanted $260 for a new board but I found out which parts needed to be replaced and did it myself.
Worked great the first time around but I got it to hot when it died again and fucked up the board beyond my skills to repair.

The real trick to welding aluminum for me is prepping the tungsten tip on a scrap piece until the tip gets a ball on the end of it, I get the best results that way. Also lightly prepping it by going back and fourth heating up the weld site before to start to make a bead helps me. Far as the shielding gas I seem to have better luck using argon over helium and I marked on the valve the minimum setting I can use to weld.

Course those all might just be superstition but it's what I get results with.

Forum List

Back