We Need To Nationalize The Oil Industry In The U.S.

Discussion in 'Energy' started by Mad Scientist, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,683
    America has abundant natural resources to include oil. We have a huge amount of oil in Alaska, the Gulf of Mexico and beneath the Rocky Mountains.

The problem with importing oil is that we are then at the mercy of foreign oil cartels like OPEC who determine production rates and price so we get screwed at the pump.

This is America and we are Americans right? This is our country right? Is it not also right to believe that all those natural resources belong to us, the American people as well? Then nationalize the oil companies and all oil exploration within our borders and in the oceans out to international waters. That way we won't be at the mercy of oil cartels and the American people can get a slice of oil profits in the rebate checks they get yearly or quarterly. Yes, that can be written into agreements with whomever drills for the oil.

I know I'll get hammered by those on the right for advocating basically the same thing Hugo Chavez is doing but this is America, we have a Representative Republic and through our elected representatives we could do this in a way that is beneficial to the American people, not just the oil companies. We have to break the control of big oil somehow. Just look how it's destabilizing our economy and squeezing those who can least afford these wild price spikes.

Thoughts?

2. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,085
    You think oil prices are high now wait until we inject bureaucracy into the mix.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. C_Clayton_Jones

C_Clayton_Jones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,869
    ‘Free Markets’ aren’t working, either – the only two options is the current corporate monopoly or a state monopoly.

4. Mad Scientist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,683
    Prices are high because of foreign oil cartels. By the way, bureaucracy is already in the mix in the form of taxes and regulation. I would just rather have to deal with our American bureaucracy than foreigners that I can't call to account for their actions.

Alaska (Yeah yeah I know, you hate Sarah Palin. Just stay with me here) gives a dividend check to all Alaskan residents from the oil profits. It's written into agreements with the oil companies who drill there. Sounds good to me:
    State of Alaska - Permanent Fund Dividend Division

5. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,088
    It's a very bad idea.

Governments do a poor job of efficiently allocating capital. We would most likely have less oil if we nationalized the energy industry.

6. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,088
    The Alaska Permanent Fund is a taxation scheme. The industry is not nationalized. Any state can do it.

7. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    To late, now, to do that, I think.

The time to have done that was before investors bought up the land or the rights to drill.

Nationalization of private resources is seldom a good idea.

I'm sympathetic to why you'd like it done, but I think its a bad idea, anyway.

8. Mad Scientist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,683
    Well, but Nationalizing would take them back of course. The US Government has already nationalized a lot of public land like the National Parks. It could be done with oil exploration as well.

9. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,475
    Crazy ass idea... let's TRY a free market and see what happens.

The US Oil industry hasn't been a free market since the 1930's when FDR meddled in everything, and it just kept growing.

Thankfully, there's a growing momentum in this direction thanks to the overstep by the EPA in trying to shut down drilling, unconstitutionally by overstepping it's power.

10. Intense

Intense Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,863
    Wow!!! Is there a difference??? Someone should break it to GE. ;)

Monopoly Implies Government Sanctioned Control. Does it matter who is holding the gun pointed at you??? Really???

Free Market, encouraging Competition, Beats Centralized Control, and elimination of choice. Grow up Comrade, try supporting it sometime.