we had to borg the thor

Discussion in 'Pets' started by strollingbones, Apr 7, 2010.

1. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    he was limping....nothing seemed to help...we figured the first few days it was just a pulled muscle or stone bruise....three vets later....yes 3....we find that he has broken his knee....the ligaments have snapped inside the knee...we see the 3rd vet on a friday...he tells us to go home and build a ramp...

[​IMG]

we did ...here is raw ramp..it now has siderails and outdoor carpet on it....

here is thor....they shaved his whole hip....the fear of all blue doberman owners is color dilution baldness...i nearly had an attack...well i did...the vet points out sillie issues like infection etc...

[​IMG]

here are the meds thor has been taking....

2 pills 3x a day
    2 pills 2 x a day
    1 pill a day

tower of meds

[​IMG]

now the borg part:

o they had to use the largest implants they had...not due to breed size but due to bone size.

[​IMG]

thanks xox for da favor

• Thank You! Thank You! x 4
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  2. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    they had to graft the top part of the bottom bone...the pics are the implants from the top and side...the staples are on the inside of his knee and will be removed this friday....hopefully at that point the house can go back to semi normal....the vet put an e collar or cone collar on him but dobermans can slip about anything that fits their thick necks....so i didnt trust that....aftercare is the key to the whole operation...as the bone graft must heal...sooooo for the last week and 1/2 we have been taking turns sleeping....i sleep from about 5 pm to 11 pm...get up let da man sleep till about 6 am....then i got to bed from about 6 am to 7 30 am...so basically i am getting no real sleep...but i can fall asleep in a heartbeat now...i am always either waking up or going to sleep....thor has been a trooper...he is so confined right now that his only real playmate is the cats...such a sad sight...watching him try to play with the cats...

only 5 to 8 more weeks to go.....but he is off the meds....leg is looking good...just got to keep him settled so he doesnt break the grafted part...i am not sure why at this point....i am being pulled about by him...

3. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    all hell just broke loose this am.....i went to take him for a walk on his leash....he nearly pulled me off the steps as he was barrelling down the ramp...i am screaming for him to stop....holding on to the leash...which is now burning my hands....da man heard me and got up to deal with him.....he is a 100 lbs of pent up energy....5 to 6 more weeks to go.....joy joy

4. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    yikes! im sorry to hear that. Hope all gets well fast.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,726
    Sorry to hear your doggie has problems. Sounds like he's on the way to recovery and I'm sure you will nurse him along as needed. I was just checking out his "haircut". Not a bad look. Get your vet to shave him like that all over and start a new fad. Except, I wouldn't shave his head. That would make him look pretty cool. Everybody knows, when a dog looks his best, he feels his best! Who knows. You might start a new fad!!!:lol:

6. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Best of luck to you and your 4 legged buddy bones.

Whew lots of money there too....

7. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492
    I'm sorry to hear that. My condolences.

May he rest in peace.

8. strollingbones

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    shhhhhhhhhhhhhh we dont even wanna talk about that...i will never have a flat scene tv...
    there were cheaper options....that had an 80% success rate...this option i took....has a 98% success rate...i really am impressed so far with the clinic...when he was there...i called a few times...i said to da man...i dont wanna bother them....he looks and me and goes...for what we are paying...bother them...as much as you want...when i called down ..they said the same thing...i could call as often as i wanted

the key to the whole thing however is aftercare....i am beat..this morning apparently i pulled the muscle over the shoulder blade...nice feeling...i figure when i was trying to hold him back this am...

and he is getting ribby...they want him to lose weight....and put him on 1/2 rations while he is down..i dont like to see ribs...he aint a flipping bird dog

9. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Ahh but once the leg heals back you can fatten him up agan.
    I know it is not easy but do what the experts say.

Yeah I kow aobut the money, I have a sweet old half retarded cat with 3 legs...spent around 1k on that old cat back when I did not have that kind of money.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  10. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,726
    You could change his name to Twiggy. Just a thought...