'We don't have dinner at home'

We don't have a poor, starving population. What we really have is a society full of complete morons having children. I think I'd rather have the former. It's much easier to cure.

So the one little boy is saying he is not being fed, hungry... and his mother is pregnant.

Thats not good.

And ...that is the problem. If you cant afford to feed your children... you have no business having them. And if you are in the position of not being able to feed the ones you have, you have no business having more.

Though having more will get you a bigger check.

I didn't find the video at all informative. It was anecdotal, didn't get down to any specifics...just basically alot of fluff.

I've noticed that... Could it be that public assistance food sticks more to your ribs than other food?

Cheaper food is usually less healthy and contains more fats, thats why if you go down to the homeless shelter 80% of the people there have pot bellies.

But they are far from starving.

True but thats because there are soup kitchens that provide free breakfast, lunch and dinner as long as you make it on time, anyone can go to those places not just homeless people, we don't have any people really "starving" in the US like they do in Somalia.

We don't have a poor, starving population. What we really have is a society full of complete morons having children. I think I'd rather have the former. It's much easier to cure.

So its an underfunded education system you reckon? :eusa_eh:

So the one little boy is saying he is not being fed, hungry... and his mother is pregnant.

Thats not good.

And ...that is the problem. If you cant afford to feed your children... you have no business having them. And if you are in the position of not being able to feed the ones you have, you have no business having more.

Though having more will get you a bigger check.

I agree with that but it seems like alot of people don't, the people that cannot afford to have kids are having more babies than the people who can actually afford it.

Didn't we already have a thread on this that crashed and burned?

We don't have a starving population in the US. Period.

Truthmatters can't talk to us about how we should feed the poor until she sells off her second home and adopts a starving child!

PS...I can feed my family of 4 easily on $400 a month.

The max food stamp allotment for a family of four = $668.

BBC Panorama's Hilary Andersson travels to a school in Las Vegas to meet some of America's youngest poor.

Panorama - Poor America.avi - YouTube

Before you go banging on about child poverty in other countries, perhaps you would do well to address the problem in your own country, Ireland. I realise it probably doesn't fit your particular political agenda, but you clearly need a reality check!

• In 1992, Ireland ratified the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, pledging to make children’s rights real and to ensure that every child has the right to experience a childhood free from poverty and deprivation.

• In 2000, the National Children’s Strategy made a commitment to provide the financial
resources necessary to end child poverty.

• In 2002, the National Anti-Poverty Strategy pledged to reduce the number of children
experiencing consistent poverty to 2% and, if possible, to eliminate child poverty by 2007.

• In 2007, having failed to meet this aim, the pledge was re-packaged, repeated, and the end date pushed out to 2016.

The most recent figures show that nearly 9% of children – or one in every eleven children – are living in consistent poverty, and that the proportion is rising.

http://www.endchildpoverty.ie/publi...yCoalitionChildPoverty-IrelandinRecession.pdf

A quote from the same report...

"I have 11euros to keep us going until next week. We don’t have money to put food on the table, can’t afford beds for the younger children, the washing machine has
broken down and we are in arrears with both the ESB and Bord Gáis."

You know something? People in glass houses should never throw stones!

PS...I can feed my family of 4 easily on $400 a month.

The max food stamp allotment for a family of four = $668.

Absolutely.
Buy meat in bulk at butcher stores and freeze...waaay cheaper per pound.
Grow your own herbs in the summer and dry them.
Buy basic ingredients and learn to cook without pre-packaged sodium rich items - saves money - taste better and is far better for you to boot.

Perhaps if some of these folks didn't sell their cards for drugs they would be able to eat properly.

Or if they actually cooked instead of only purchasing processed, ready to eat food.

Forty-six million people lived below the poverty line as of 2010, a record number, according to the Census Bureau, and one that's not even as high as some other estimates would have it. Take a further step back and the situation appears even more dire. About 45 percent of people in the U.S. have reported not being able to cover their basic living expenses, including food, shelter and transportation, according to the group Wider Opportunities for Women. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/28/afford-food-hunger_n_1308020.html

More Americans said they struggled to buy food in 2011 than in any year since the financial crisis, according to a recent report from the Food Research and Action Center, a nonprofit research group. About 18.6 percent of people -- almost one out of every five -- told Gallup pollsters that they couldn't always afford to feed everyone in their family in 2011.

Last edited:
Forty-six million people lived below the poverty line as of 2010, a record number, according to the Census Bureau, and one that's not even as high as some other estimates would have it. Take a further step back and the situation appears even more dire. About 45 percent of people in the U.S. have reported not being able to cover their basic living expenses, including food, shelter and transportation, according to the group Wider Opportunities for Women. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/28/afford-food-hunger_n_1308020.html

More Americans said they struggled to buy food in 2011 than in any year since the financial crisis, according to a recent report from the Food Research and Action Center, a nonprofit research group. About 18.6 percent of people -- almost one out of every five -- told Gallup pollsters that they couldn't always afford to feed everyone in their family in 2011.

Btw I'm not trying to attack the US here, but from a European perspective the US seems to be very harsh on the poorest/weakest in society.

More Than Half Of Teachers Report Buying Hungry Students Food With Their Own Money.
We often hear about U.S. teachers being paid poorly for all the work they do to educate children. But did you know that 63 percent of teachers report buying food for the classroom each month with their own money? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/11/23/more-than-half-of-teacher_n_368356.html

Last edited:
It seems that we are collectively easy to trick into thinking that being hungry is a bad thing. Many habits in America keep us starving they are just not recognized.

"Food Insecure" is a real interesting term, and most likely, better fitting than "malnutrition" and such.

A good diet with a lot of variety is ideal... but there is a lot of hype in the "Take your damned supplements and vitamins" religion.

Most of America that has pot bellies and that are overweight are more likely so because of the fact that we have become less and less physically active. We are becoming a nation of "Jetsons". Our diets may have a great deal to do with it, but even the hungry/starving can look like anything but hungry and starving, make no mistake.

I actually agree with you on the hunger thing. I don't mean starvation..I've thought about this before...I remember being really HUNGRY between meals...that doesn't happen anymore, our culture with fast food joints and processed, readily available snack foods, surplus of cheap fruit even...people feed themselves as soon as they THINK of food, they don't wait until they're hungry.

Forum List

Back