waste not

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by metavate, Sep 15, 2011.

1. metavate

metavate Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Do you guys/girls think that a hunter or fisherman should always eat what he kills and try and use every part of the animal? I think, killing for the sake of sport is wrong and the animal should be eaten.

Thoughts?

2. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    I always did when I was fishing or hunting.

Killing for sport is sort of creepy.

3. Iridescence

Iridescence BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +268
    It seems today that perhaps only in certain parts of the world that kind of thing is even logical. Within the US alone our men primarily do hunt for sport unless they are too poor to afford the prices from the butcher or the local store. Sadly, many bigger chains, however, also don't employ butchers. Mass slaughter and packaging is the rave... and even canned and/or preserved meats more so than seemingly before. I grew up in the woods and we always ate what we killed and there were few parts we didn't find some use for. Yet, then, we also always had dogs and other animals that would finish off what we didn't. There are so many things about the pre-packaging of food and the FDA that I don't know how small farmers make their living, it seems the FDA even has reaches into the smallest of markets... (perhaps necessarily). When I got to go to New Orleans this past year they were having the International Food Convention, it was fascinating to meet the different people and talk about the difference in methods and such... however, I missed out in getting to actually attend the Conference itself.

Strollingbones might have a few things to post... as she does the raw milk thing and seems to know a great deal about this kind of lifestyle.

To me, if a man can afford the prices that most people charge to hunt, or if it is a society-like event (like the Montana ones) where groups of men pay to go and such... those things even if they eat the meat in which they kill seems to be an outlandish sport because of the price. However, saying that I understand it to be perhaps a way that those farmers recover the monies lost in the massive regulating of their produce.

4. tonystewart1

tonystewart1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +155
    If you kill it you had better eat it.

That was what I was taught growing up and that is what I taught my sons.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. lizzie

lizzie Zen Warrior Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +286
    I think that killing animals should generally be for food, but that's not always the case. As for using every part of the animal, what do you do with the bones when you eat chicken? Do you eat the tail and fins of a whole fish? What would you do with the hooves and sinew of a whitetail deer? We no longer live in a society where we make hoof rattles for religious ceremonies, and we no longer sew our leather clothes with sinew.
    The primary difference between you and someone who hunts for their own food, is that the hunter understands where food really comes from, he's conscientious about the life that he is taking, whereas you are paying someone else to do the dirty work for you.

6. Flopper

Flopper Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,294
    Some people just enjoy the thrill hunting and the killing. I really don't understand it. I hunted when I was young but I can't say I really enjoyed.

7. lizzie

lizzie Zen Warrior Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +286
    I don't hunt, but I do occasionally kill starlings and house sparrows to keep them out of my purple martin houses. They are both imported invasive species, and they have displaced the populations of many of our native songbirds. I never "enjoy" killing them, but I do it because it needs doing.

8. WinterBorn

WinterBorn Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,819
    Hunting for sport, as opposed to subsistance hunting, is not the horrible slaughter house many people see it as.

I eat what I kill (with the exception of coyotes - and that is pest control).

But hunters play a huge role in conservation efforts. The fee and special taxes we pay are the the lion's share of state conservation budgets. We are basically the only predator for many species.

9. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    AbsoFuckingLutely.
    I've always used most every part of any animal I've killed. Wild or domestic. If I personally didn't use some parts of it I always give them to someone who does.
    The last giveaway was 2 hog heads, hearts, lungs, feet and livers etc.
    When I kill a Ternero (young male cow) I even skin it out and "give" the hide to a local leatherman............I get a little work done in trade.
    Years ago, when I hunted deer, I also traded the hide and gave the antlers(and some of the bones to knife makers.
    It's just common sense.

10. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,050
    If you eat it, you'd better be able to kill it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1