Was Bush the worst President ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Was George W. Bush the worst president ever? - The Week

Former White House press secretary Ari Fleisher told NBC News: "I'm increasingly doubtful, just because I think the lens of history is not changing. A lot of us used to say President Bush will look good and he'll be vindicated in the public eye. But realistically speaking, I don't see a lot of the people who write history all of a sudden changing their mind about George W. Bush."

As Jill Lawrence points out, the polling of historians seems to back this up.

Nearly 60 percent of the historians and political scientists in a 2006 Siena College survey rated Bush's presidency a failure and two-thirds said he did not have a realistic chance of improving his standing.

Nearly 60 percent of the historians and political scientists in a 2006 Siena College survey rated Bush's presidency a failure and two-thirds said he did not have a realistic chance of improving his standing.

A 2010 Siena ranking of presidential scholars rated Bush as one of the nation's five worst presidents. A similar 2009 C-SPAN ranking put Bush in the bottom eight.

It is certainly possible that years of reflection and a reinterpretation of his presidency could end up putting Bush in a more positive light, but there's no avoiding the reality that his decision to go to war in Iraq and policies of fiscal recklessness led to huge problems for the country. These are problems the country may still be reeling from as historians give Bush their second look

FDR put selected American citizens behind barbed wire for the duration of WW2. Truman was probably the worst president in modern history but the left has propped up his legacy with fake cliches. LBJ got us into Vietnam with a fake crisis and Bill Clinton was the only president in history who was accused of rape.

No, obama is clearly the worst. Bush made mistakes but the severly partisan and the ignorant blame Bush for much of what was actually the fault of the Democrat House and Senate.

Well.. not one of the better ones or even a 'good' one.. but far from the worst... not even the worst during my lifetime.. That goes currently to Carter with Obama nipping at his heels...

Bush did some things very badly.. namely the fiscal aspects.. and you will always have anti-war and college professor types that will bitch about the Iraq and Afghan wars... but other than that he was a pretty average or uneventful President...

Buchanan, Andrew Johnson, Harding, and Tyler and Pierce have to be the bottom 5

Lincoln and FDR the most overrated.. (With Kennedy not far behind.. and Lincoln and Kennedy overrated there because of the emotional assassination aspect)

Maybe Adams and Madison the most underrated...

Nixon the most maligned (rightfully so for Watergate) but people forget the many things he did good...

And Bush II has to have the most rabid haters we have ever seen (yes, even worse than the Birfers, etc with Obama)

After 9-11, Bush was given the opportunity to forge a great Presidency. He had widespread popular support both at home and abroad.

However, the choices he made in fighting the war on terrorism will mark him as one of our worst presidents. Rather than forge a global alliance to fight terrorism he took a "my way or the highway" view. He also used the 9-11 attacks as a means to push an illadvised invasion of Iraq. His use of torture tarnished the once stellar view of America around the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back