'War Machine' Movie: Required Viewing for Americans...

Dschrute3

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2016
Everyone should check this movie out. It's on NetFlix. Brad Pitt is excellent in it. Why are we still in Afghanistan? Folks should definitely check it out. Enjoy.

Thanks, will check it out. I'm also going back a bit further and check my understanding that popular notion became we bailed out of Afghanistan too soon after Soviets were defeated. I need to re-watch Charlie Wilson's War to get me in the vibe.

Thanks, will check it out. I'm also going back a bit further and check my understanding that popular notion became we bailed out of Afghanistan too soon after Soviets were defeated. I need to re-watch Charlie Wilson's War to get me in the vibe.

'War Machine' is definitely worth checking out. I mean seriously, why are we still in Afghanistan?

Bla bla bla!

Blowing up shit rules ! It sells in the sticks .

Bla bla bla!

Blowing up shit rules ! It sells in the sticks .

“Magnificent! Compared to war all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance.
God help me, I do love it so!”
~~ General George S. Patton, Jr

'War Machine' is definitely worth checking out. I mean seriously, why are we still in Afghanistan?

Correcting the mistake we made after the Soviet-Afghan war.

Although the epilogue in that movie is apocryphal, the sentiment is true:

These things happened. They were glorious and they changed the world... and then we fucked up the endgame.

The Real-Life Story Behind 'Charlie Wilson's War'
TRAVIS (Caller): Yeah. I just have a one quick comment. This man was the one that helped arm the rebels in the Middle East, correct?

Mr. FROST: Well, let me - this has come up a lot. And what he did was to help arm the rebels who were fighting the Soviets. And then, Charlie advocated that we ought to provide economic aid to the Muslims who ultimately took over the country. And we didn't do that. We didn't take his advice, and so then the Taliban, the extreme element of the Muslims, took over Afghanistan.

But Charlie wasn't helping the Taliban and he's certainly wasn't helping al-Qaida, he was trying to help the Afghan people. Unfortunately, our government then turned its back on the Afghan people after we helped drive the Soviets out. And that's when the Taliban took over.

TRAVIS: So we had no follow-through then?

Mr. FROST: That's right. We had no follow-through, and the last quote in the movie is a quote from Charlie. And I won't say exactly what he said.

CONAN: You paraphrase it.

Mr. FROST: Paraphrase it, that we dropped the ball by not providing economic aid.

TRAVIS: Okay. I see. Well, thank you very much.

Everyone should check this movie out. It's on NetFlix. Brad Pitt is excellent in it. Why are we still in Afghanistan? Folks should definitely check it out. Enjoy.
There can't possibly be a legitimate reason or strategic advantage. Im guessing that all the military experts at the Pentagon for the past 15 years, and 3 presidents in a row just happen to enjoy killing.

There can't possibly be a legitimate reason or strategic advantage. Im guessing that all the military experts at the Pentagon for the past 15 years, and 3 presidents in a row just happen to enjoy killing.
There's a lot of $$$$$ in it.

For who? Who got this money you speak of?

It's called the MIC, Military Industrial Complex, a phrase coined by President Eisenhower in a warning about the complex of industries that profit from supplying the military with weapons and the tools of war. Today it refers to all the corporations and companies that provide the goods and products that sustain warfare and national defense.

Correcting the mistake we made after the Soviet-Afghan war.

Not gonna happen. 16yrs is long enough. Time to come home.

Misguided arrogant Imperialism. Have you watched 'War Machine' yet? It's pretty good. It gives you a good feel for what's up with these invasions & occupations. Check it out.

Must be. We routed Al Qaeda and killed Bin Laden. We shouldn't still be there.

Definitely not average American Taxpayers. Our Government still can't account for missing $Billions in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

Misguided arrogant Imperialism. Have you watched 'War Machine' yet? It's pretty good. It gives you a good feel for what's up with these invasions & occupations. Check it out.
We're not occupying Afghanistan. We're assisting the local, duly elected government fight terrorists.

We're not occupying Afghanistan. We're assisting the local, duly elected government fight terrorists.

You really should check the movie out. The Afghan occupation is bizarre madness.

War Machine in an anti-war film, but most people who just like action shoot-em-up films don't even realize it, they just like seeing guys in uniform at war depicted on screen.

Forum List

Back