War Hero Morris Jeppson Dies: Enola Gay Crewman Who Armed Atomic Bomb Dropped on Japs

Oh grow up Kevin. If you seriously believe that America was the aggressor, you are being a wingnut. You seriously do not know your history and whatever you learn from those Libertarian think tanks have seriously warped your mind if you believe that. Nobody here is saying that we loved to drop the bombs on Japan. However, war is full of many actions that are both necessary and difficult. This is one of them.

Grown ups don't generally refer to each other as "wingnuts" in civil conversation. If you can't see how vaporizing innocent civilians is aggressive, then I'm afraid we have little more to discuss. But you know, as well as I do, that had Germany or Japan dropped a nuke on us or anyone else they would have gone down in history as war-criminals.

Grown ups generally know what the fuck they're talking about when entering a discussion.

That's not my experience.

No, I wish we didn't feel the need to have an unconditional surrender from Japan. Why weren't we willing to be humble in our victory?

the way they were humble at Pearl? the way they were humble to american POW's? the way they were humble to the population of Nanking? fuck them.

Kevin's point is that it is wrong to vaporize civilians for actions of soldiers. How do you feel about that? Do you think that killing tens of thousands of civilians is justified by the fact that their army was waging war against our country?

my point is that a mainland invasion of Japan (which would have happened without dropping the bombs) would have killed hundreds of thousand of americans and millions of japanese. how do you feel about that?

the way they were humble at Pearl? the way they were humble to american POW's? the way they were humble to the population of Nanking? fuck them.

Kevin's point is that it is wrong to vaporize civilians for actions of soldiers. How do you feel about that? Do you think that killing tens of thousands of civilians is justified by the fact that their army was waging war against our country?

my point is that a mainland invasion of Japan (which would have happened without dropping the bombs) would have killed hundreds of thousand of americans and millions of japanese. how do you feel about that?

Well, of course it would have. Look - I'm not saying we shouldn't have dropped the bomb. Obviously, we should have. All I'm saying is that it is just too bad that so many innocent (and they were innocent) civilians had to die in the process.

Maybe we aren't so far apart on this point after all.

My point is that a mainland invasion of Japan was as unnecessary as dropping the bombs, but we just had to have an unconditional surrender regardless of the lives lost in the process.

Well, of course it would have. Look - I'm not saying we shouldn't have dropped the bomb. Obviously, we should have. All I'm saying is that it is just too bad that so many innocent (and they were innocent) civilians had to die in the process.

Maybe we aren't so far apart on this point after all.

It is too bad. No doubt about it. I just don't like him calling our boys war criminals. I think that is why this thread has such a sour flavor.

My point is that a mainland invasion of Japan was as unnecessary as dropping the bombs, but we just had to have an unconditional surrender regardless of the lives lost in the process.

It would have been necessary, you dumbass. Why the fuck do you think Japan had their civilians training their civilians in hand-to-hand combat if they were ready to surrender, you mealy-mouthed idealist little bastard.

It would have been necessary, you dumbass. Why the fuck do you think Japan had their civilians training their civilians in hand-to-hand combat if they were ready to surrender, you mealy-mouthed idealist little bastard.

Maybe because they thought we were going to invade them? But them training their citizens to fight us if we invade them isn't cause for us to actually invade them.

So playing your part in the massacring of the Japanese people makes you a war hero? Sounds more like a war criminal to me.

Ending the war that would of likely killed many more people, by a sick and twisted group of people that would go on suicide charges, instead of surrendering would kill themselves, brutalized a many people, and even told citizens, women and children, to kill themselves as opposed to surrender.

After the horrendous shit the japanese did in WWII, I'm not going to shed a tear for using the atomic bomb to end it.

And as horrible as the A-Bomb was, the full horror of it was not fully known,especially the radiation effects. the bomb was far weaker than the ones developed later, so who knows what would of happened if the first bomb ever used was one of the more powerful ones, when Russia also had it. Obviously just a thought on that matter, I'm not saying that is fact. But this event likely opened the eyes of the world to the horrors of nuclear weapons

Kennedy wishes we could have had a few hundred thousand more americans killed to fit his utopian model.

No, I wish we didn't feel the need to have an unconditional surrender from Japan. Why weren't we willing to be humble in our victory?

are you kidding? After what they did to the world? Let them still have a military? Plus, the unconditional surrender helped change Japan drastically and we helped build them up to be economically and technologically strong

radiation effects. the bomb was far weaker than the ones developed later, so who knows what would of happened if the first bomb ever used was one of the more powerful ones, when Russia also had it. Obviously just a thought on that matter, I'm not saying that is fact. But this event likely opened the eyes of the world to the horrors of nuclear weapons

EXCELLENT point. :clap2:

I care very much for the lives of American soldiers, which is why I'm a strict noninterventionist. I don't like them dying for empire or to save face. As for being ignorant about history, my own personal opinion is that I'm not but I'm guessing yours differs.

I don't know how you wouldn't of gotten along with FDR. He ignored the Holocaust. And as according to your "strict noninterventionist" stance, you wouldn't of gotten involved in that.

Well I wouldn't have provoked the Japanese into attacking us in the first place, and his economic policies left much to be desired.

Yeah, you would of just let them take over the entire pacific and terrorize the people who lived there.

And even if Pearl Harbor didn't happen, as soon as the Japs started invading other Islands in the pacific which they did when they invaded Pearl harbor, the US would of likely gotten involved anyway.

Kennedy wishes we could have had a few hundred thousand more americans killed to fit his utopian model.

are you kidding? After what they did to the world? Let them still have a military? Plus, the unconditional surrender helped change Japan drastically and we helped build them up to be economically and technologically strong

After what we did should we still be allowed to have a military? Yes, well I'm sure glad the U.S. government bombed Japan so they could then steal from the American taxpayer to rebuild Japan. Excellent.

I don't know how you wouldn't of gotten along with FDR. He ignored the Holocaust. And as according to your "strict noninterventionist" stance, you wouldn't of gotten involved in that.

Well I wouldn't have provoked the Japanese into attacking us in the first place, and his economic policies left much to be desired.

Yeah, you would of just let them take over the entire pacific and terrorize the people who lived there.

And even if Pearl Harbor didn't happen, as soon as the Japs started invading other Islands in the pacific which they did when they invaded Pearl harbor, the US would of likely gotten involved anyway.

So it's better for us to radiate the citizens of Japan rather than have Japan "terrorize" people in the Pacific? I'm not so sure, but I don't personally make much distinction between two different forms of evil.

After what we did should we still be allowed to have a military? Yes, well I'm sure glad the U.S. government bombed Japan so they could then steal from the American taxpayer to rebuild Japan. Excellent.

Do you believe we should have a Military?

So it's better for us to radiate the citizens of Japan rather than have Japan "terrorize" people in the Pacific? I'm not so sure, but I don't personally make much distinction between two different forms of evil.

so FDR/Truman = Tojo?

Do you believe we should have a Military?

Certainly. But I also see nothing wrong with Japan having a military.

I haven't been this disappointed in any American citizen in my entire 57 years.

I hear you, what a bunch of assholes to criticize the USA during WWII, which helped liberate the entire world from a bunch of sick, twisted people hell bent on taking over the world and killing as many people as they could.

Unbelievable. I'm by far anti a lot of wars, but WWII we truly were the heros of the world

so FDR/Truman = Tojo?

Murderers are murderers in my book, whether they equal the status of another murderer is irrelevant.

Forum List

Back