Vitamins and Exercise Fight Each Other?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Now they tell me!

Exercise and Vitamins: Now, Wait A Minute. . .. In the Pipeline:

May 13, 2009

Exercise and Vitamins: Now, Wait A Minute. . .
Posted by Derek
Now, this is an example of an idea being followed through to its logical conclusion. Here’s where we start: the good effects of exercise are well known, and seem to be beyond argument. Among these are marked improvements in insulin resistance (the hallmark of type II diabetes) and glucose uptake. In fact, exercise, combined with losing adipose weight, is absolutely the best therapy for mild cases of adult-onset diabetes, and can truly reverse the condition, an effect no other treatment can match.

So, what actually causes these exercise effects? There has to be a signal (or set of signals) down at the molecular level that tells your cells what’s happening, and initiates changes in their metabolism. One good candidate is the formation of reactive oxygen species (ROS) in the mitochondria. Exercise most certainly increases a person’s use of oxygen, and increases the work load on the mitochondria (since that’s where all the biochemical energy is coming from, anyway). Increased mitochondrial formation of ROS has been well documented, and they have a lot of physiological effects.

Of course, ROS are also implicated in many theories of aging and cellular damage, which is why cells have several systems to try to soak these things up. That’s exactly why people take antioxidants, vitamin C and vitamin E especially. So. . .what if you take those while you’re exercising? ...

I'm confused! I read that twice, but still not quite clear on what he is saying?

Since I exercise, I shouldn't take vitamins? :confused:

The problem with the vitamins though, beyond that, is they are NOT regulated at all. Since most Americans are not smart enough to think and learn and read the labels these days, the need some regulatory group to tell them what's healthy, they shouldn't touch vitamins without a doctors supervision.

It is important that we know what Vitamins we are taking and what effects they have. Taking Vitamins without knowledge is useless and can cause more harm than good.

Vitamin obsessed Americans have some of the most expensive piss in the world.

Unless you have some medical problems, eating a balanced diet is the BEST source of vitamins.

Mom would line us up, dad nearby as enforcer, for our nightly dose of cod liver oil. Yuk,that stuff was awful. Stand up straight, fresh air exercise, and vitamins were her mantras. Does it work, I have never had the flu, a few colds in thirty years, road a bicycle year round as transportation for over twenty five years, and still take mom's advice. So I am skeptical of these blanket claims. I know for a fact extra folic acid works from wife experience, I know for a fact B5 may be a wonder vitamin, I know iron is necessary for women especially dizzy women, and calcium and D are required. Humans vary in all sorts of ways and how much exercise and how many vitamins, and how often etc etc etc.

Here's a fascinating piece of info: http://www.usmessageboard.com/health-and-lifestyle/226935-fasting-as-cure-all.html

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/default.aspx
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate/
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/vitamin-d/

http://www.quackwatch.org/index.html

PS I added youtube as another pov. As a long distance cyclist I have tried alpha lipoic acid but make no claims. Not sure what value it brings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Unless you have some medical problems, eating a balanced diet is the BEST source of vitamins.

And for those of us who don't consume the amount of calories required to eat a balanced diet, I don't think my once-a- day vitamin, will do any harm, as long as I exercise and avoid those foods, in excess, that contribute nothing healthful, to my lifestyle. I refuse to cause my own demise....:eusa_hand:

The study doesn't say what their everyday diet diet was, just that they were "healthy" and given two vitamin supplements.

Hmm.

Yes.

I never even bother going in to one of those "GNC" stores...

I focus on "superfoods": oranges, broccoli, blueberries, spinach...

Granny says eat yer vegetables an' yu'll live healthier an' longer...
:eusa_eh:
Antioxidants Fuel Lung Cancer in Mice
February 01, 2014 WASHINGTON — Millions of people take vitamins, minerals and herbal pills every day, hoping to stay healthy, and avoid disease. Much of that money is spent on antioxidants, like vitamins C and E, which is commonly believed to prevent or delay some types of cell damage, such as cancer. But new research suggests that taking high levels of the supplements may actually be increasing the risk by knocking out the body's natural defenses against cancer.
Antioxidants are chemicals naturally produced by the body, or provided by fruits and vegetables, that neutralize what are known as free radicals, harmful molecules that accumulate inside cells and damage DNA. Without antioxidants, cells turn cancerous. But despite dozens of studies, there’s never been any evidence that taking extra antioxidants, in the form of pills, prevents cancer, said Martin Bergo, a professor of molecular medicine at the University of Gothenburg. In fact, in an interview via Skype, he said excessive doses of the supplements could be harmful. “But this thing is deeply rooted in the belief of people because [of] these free radicals that form inside the cells,” he said.

Bergo said dozens of studies have shown little or no benefit from taking antioxidants. He said other trials had to be halted because researchers observed an increased cancer risk. An article in the journal Science Translational Medicine described how two research teams, one led by Bergo and another overseen by cancer researcher Par Lindahl, discovered by accident that high doses of two antioxidants - vitamin E and NAC (N-acetyl-cysteine) - fueled lung cancer in mice.

Lindahl, also of the University of Gothenburg, said researchers were looking at how a particular protein that binds to DNA might contribute to lung cancer. In a Skype interview, Lindahl said all of the mice in the study had small lung tumors. To create a control group, the researchers gave some of the rodents antioxidants, expecting that to limit their tumor growth. “And it turns out that mice that were treated with extra antioxidants, they developed larger tumors compared to untreated mice. The tumors looked more aggressive, and the mice died twice as fast as the untreated mice," said Lindahl.

Researchers found high antioxidant levels reduced the activity of P-53, a protein that normally limits cell damage and prevents cancer. While more studies are needed before any recommendations for humans can be made, the researchers suggest that people with small, undiagnosed lung tumors could potentially fuel cancer by taking antioxidant supplements. A spokesman for the American Cancer Society called the study’s results “intriguing” but agreed it is too early to draw any conclusions.

Antioxidants Fuel Lung Cancer in Mice

That's why I load up on carbs & simple sugars.

Sure, there's plenty of energy for fighting right after a meal, but it burns out quick and they get lazy fast so I can get back to relaxing.

I'm certainly not a dietician or even eat a balanced meal.

However, I've stopped taking my daily dose of multivitamins and it hasn't caused any problems that I've yet seen.

As someone pointed out, they are unregulated and most of us have no idea what's really in them.

The internet provides endless sources on what foods can provide all the nutrition we need without going to artificial sources.

Carrots. Spinach. All the things our grandparents told us that were "good for us" and we didn't listen because we didn't like how they tasted.

I did a Bing search for "what natural foods are good for diabetics" and came up with this.

:clap2:

However, I've stopped taking my daily dose of multivitamins and it hasn't caused any problems that I've yet seen.

As someone pointed out, they are unregulated and most of us have no idea what's really in them.

The internet provides endless sources on what foods can provide all the nutrition we need without going to artificial sources.

Carrots. Spinach. All the things our grandparents told us that were "good for us" and we didn't listen because we didn't like how they tasted.

I did a Bing search for "what natural foods are good for diabetics" and came up with this.

I was brought up eating foods from all groups. A wide variety, which is probably why I love most all foods to this day ( but don't eat them..lol ) however in recent health news there has been an update since this OP was posted and that is, beware of the country these supplements come from, as the US tries to offer up nothing harmful, though I think that could also be in doubt. :dunno: For me, it is best not to take mega-doses of anything that is unregulated.

Now they tell me!

Exercise and Vitamins: Now, Wait A Minute. . .. In the Pipeline:

May 13, 2009

Exercise and Vitamins: Now, Wait A Minute. . .
Posted by Derek
Now, this is an example of an idea being followed through to its logical conclusion. Here’s where we start: the good effects of exercise are well known, and seem to be beyond argument. Among these are marked improvements in insulin resistance (the hallmark of type II diabetes) and glucose uptake. In fact, exercise, combined with losing adipose weight, is absolutely the best therapy for mild cases of adult-onset diabetes, and can truly reverse the condition, an effect no other treatment can match.

So, what actually causes these exercise effects? There has to be a signal (or set of signals) down at the molecular level that tells your cells what’s happening, and initiates changes in their metabolism. One good candidate is the formation of reactive oxygen species (ROS) in the mitochondria. Exercise most certainly increases a person’s use of oxygen, and increases the work load on the mitochondria (since that’s where all the biochemical energy is coming from, anyway). Increased mitochondrial formation of ROS has been well documented, and they have a lot of physiological effects.

Of course, ROS are also implicated in many theories of aging and cellular damage, which is why cells have several systems to try to soak these things up. That’s exactly why people take antioxidants, vitamin C and vitamin E especially. So. . .what if you take those while you’re exercising? ...

Very interesting. I don't take any supplements other than fish oil. I figure I eat so much and try to eat healthy, so I should already be getting all the vitamins and minerals my body needs.

And for those of us who don't consume the amount of calories required to eat a balanced diet, I don't think my once-a- day vitamin, will do any harm, as long as I exercise and avoid those foods, in excess, that contribute nothing healthful, to my lifestyle. I refuse to cause my own demise....:eusa_hand:

Metabolic rates are a funny thing. I've never been able to figure out how some people can exercise regularly and eat very little, but I know some women who do. Personally, when I began exercising on a regular basis, I began eating a lot more.

I was brought up eating foods from all groups. A wide variety, which is probably why I love most all foods to this day ( but don't eat them..lol ) however in recent health news there has been an update since this OP was posted and that is, beware of the country these supplements come from, as the US tries to offer up nothing harmful, though I think that could also be in doubt. :dunno: For me, it is best not to take mega-doses of anything that is unregulated.

Vitamins and minerals are in our food for a reason. That does not mean that we need mega-doses of them. Too much of a good thing can be bad.

That's BS. The thing most vitamins do is facilitate the transport of nutrients across the cell membrane. Your body can't function without adequate vitamins. Most vitamins if you take too much, you just make expensive urine. The fat soluble vitamins like A D E and K, though, can be harmful in overdose. Most Americans are vitamin D deficient. That sunlight thing is as true as it can be, but the sun is at the wrong angle where we are to increase the vitamin D in our bodies to the needed level. Everyone should get tested. Adequate vitamin D will make most of your aches and pains go away.

Electrolytes like sodium, calcium, potassium, and magnesium are necessary for heart function. Again, testing is the way to check. Just buying them and taking them on your own can kill you if you get too much, or get them out of balance.

And contrary to all the commercials about workouts for your brain, exercise is the number one way top stave off dementia. It increases blood flow to the brain and keeps it functioning properly.

There is so much bullshit out there it's no wonder stupid people fall for it every day.

Vitamins and minerals are in our food for a reason. That does not mean that we need mega-doses of them. Too much of a good thing can be bad.

100% correct.

Metabolic rates are a funny thing. I've never been able to figure out how some people can exercise regularly and eat very little, but I know some women who do. Personally, when I began exercising on a regular basis, I began eating a lot more.

Exercise has a tendency to make you want healthy foods. If you have subsisted on a diet of junk and processed foods, you may be able to eat quite a bit more of the healthy stuff and still lose weight.

Exercise has a tendency to make you want healthy foods. If you have subsisted on a diet of junk and processed foods, you may be able to eat quite a bit more of the healthy stuff and still lose weight.

I knew I was eating over 3000 calories per day, but I wasn't sure exactly by how much. Over the past couple of weeks I've tried to track it, and I was a bit shocked to find out I'm actually consuming over 4000 calories on most days.

Forum List

Back