Virginia back in play?

hjmick

Platinum Member
Mar 28, 2007
Charleston, SC
I can't say that the decision of the Virginia Supreme Court, at least not based on what I understood of the law, and I'm no lawyer...

Virginia Court Strikes Down Order Allowing Felons to Vote

Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe's controversial order giving more than 200,000 convicted felons the right to vote was struck down late Friday by his state's supreme court.

The decision could have an impact on the presidential election in one of the nation's swing states. "The ruling gives Virginia Republicans a better shot at winning the state than they otherwise would have had," said Mark Murray, NBC News Senior Political Editor...

...the court said McAuliffe's order exceeded his powers under Virginia's constitution... the decision cannot be appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court...

McAuliffe signed the order in April... He said it was intended to remove a Civil war-era restriction that was aimed at disenfranchising African-Americans.

His move was an end-run around the Republican-controlled legislature...

The court said the Virginia governor... has no power to issue such a blanket order.

The state constitution, the court said, requires the governor to notify the legislature each time clemency is granted, which it said was a further barrier to granting blanket forgiveness...

That last bolded part is the detail I thought would trip McAuliffe up. When I read it I interpreted it to mean that each individual request for clemency required a separate notification to the legislature.

I can't say that the decision of the Virginia Supreme Court, at least not based on what I understood of the law, and I'm no lawyer...

Virginia Court Strikes Down Order Allowing Felons to Vote

Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe's controversial order giving more than 200,000 convicted felons the right to vote was struck down late Friday by his state's supreme court.

The decision could have an impact on the presidential election in one of the nation's swing states. "The ruling gives Virginia Republicans a better shot at winning the state than they otherwise would have had," said Mark Murray, NBC News Senior Political Editor...

...the court said McAuliffe's order exceeded his powers under Virginia's constitution... the decision cannot be appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court...

McAuliffe signed the order in April... He said it was intended to remove a Civil war-era restriction that was aimed at disenfranchising African-Americans.

His move was an end-run around the Republican-controlled legislature...

The court said the Virginia governor... has no power to issue such a blanket order.

The state constitution, the court said, requires the governor to notify the legislature each time clemency is granted, which it said was a further barrier to granting blanket forgiveness...

That last bolded part is the detail I thought would trip McAuliffe up. When I read it I interpreted it to mean that each individual request for clemency required a separate notification to the legislature.

Applause.

The dirty little secret is that radical democrat governors like McAuliffe know they don't have the support of the people so they issue edicts designed to further the agenda of the DNC in the next election. They hope that non elected appointed judges will go along with the political and social imperative to violate the stodgy old State Constitution but in this case it didn't work.

Not to go off topic but I think I heard from one of my VA contacts where it came to light that a large number of these felons were child molesters. When it comes to "honor among thieves" the child molesters don't fare too well behind bars. Don Lemons is a good man - didn't realize he was now Chief Justice of the VA Supreme Court. I remember Lemons from one or the other of the law firms where I worked; a prior Chief Justice also worked at one of my firms and he, too, was a very nice guy - very bright guy - and may have been the first black Chief Justice.

You have to love it.

For the last few years (and currently) the Democrats are constantly trying to convince America how the Republicans are on their way out. The country is changing and the Republican's aren't. Republicans are old white men that will be dying off soon. Republicans are living in the last century........

However, they constantly show their desperation by trying to get new voter blocks....... particularly the criminal element. They fight tooth and nail to stop Voter-ID which is a common sense approach to reduce fraud.

The Democrat politicians may have fooled the sheep, but they themselves don't believe a word they say. They are very concerned about the future, because if they don't create enough government dependents and victims, it is they who will be on their way out. They understand that America is waking up to their lies.

Forum List

Back