Violence vs Self Defense in schools.

Discussion in 'Education' started by BrutalTruth, Aug 17, 2012.

1. BrutalTruth

BrutalTruth A Spreader There Of

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'd like to gain some opinions here

In schools in the USA, the policy for violence is set to zero tolerance. While this may sound like a good thing, I've been through several scenarios myself where this policy doesn't really seem to stack up to it's majestic sounding hype.

For example, on more than one occasion as a youth in the school system, I found myself in a situation where I was being bullied. Sound tragic? Probably not, because I'm sure we've all been there right? So, when this happens, the instructions are not to resort to violence, that we should grab a teacher and report it, and walk away. The trouble is, many time when trying to do so, the aggressor has other plans. While trying to be the docile and civil one in the conflict, you put yourself at the risk of being blindsided by the aggressor, and you are not permitted to practice the "common law" of self defense without repercussion.

If you defend yourself because of a known threat, not only will the person you are defending yourself against be ejected from school for a period of time, so too will you. For practicing your basic right as a human to defend yourself, you too will be ejected from school. Somehow it's been implemented into the schools that they are above federal law, and your rights as a human no longer exist?

I am now a father, and have a son in the third grade, of which I'm a single parent, and sole parental figure do to reasons I won't get into, though probably obvious. As a part of my job in being the parent and protector of my son, I've instructed him very thoroughly on this matter. He knows that "In no way, do you ever let another person do harm to you, let them touch you, violate your personal space, or present a potential threat. If you are hit, you fight back. If being hit looks imminent, you fight first."

Does anyone have any feedback in opposition to this instruction, and if so, please tell me why I should tell my child that being hit, threatened, and oppressed is something he should not fight back on? When you get done, please tell your military the same things...

This is the land of the free, home of the brave, and a kid in school deserves the same rights as any human...

The overall message: Mess with this family, and you will infact get your tail kicked in. :clap2:

2. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    The problem is self defense is seen as violence too, both the bullies and the kid who defend themselves are given the same punishments nowadays.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Ernie S.

Ernie S. Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,381
    I worked for a very liberal company many years ago. I was in a salaried position and a union member had some silly beef with my instructions and without any provocation he hit me square in the jaw. Knocked me out! I was fired for "fighting" though I never lifted a hand. He was protected by the union.
    He did mysteriously get 4 flat tires a few days later.

4. BrutalTruth

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's what I'm saying @highgravity

"The Problem Is" self defense is seen as violence in schools, but a right in real life. That is definitely "The Problem".

Would you agree? Or is it right?

5. BrutalTruth

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Very sorry to hear that. That seems to be related as well then, and the work place should be no different, but it as well is. Defending yourself should be allowed, and without repercussion. There is no excuse for any institution of any sort to be able to take away your basic rights as a human. Whether they hold your paycheck, or your diploma, they still essentially work for you, Joe Public. Without you, they are nothing.

6. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,001
    Zero tolerance = Zero intelligence

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. BrutalTruth

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Very true!

8. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    The schools don't want to get involved and are scared of lawsuits so they just punish everyone, whereas in real life if you get into a fist fight the person who threw the first punch is usually arrested.

9. PoliticalChic

PoliticalChic Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +24,777
    August 17 1786 Davy Crockett born near Limestone, Tennessee. Hero and backwoods statesman, his motto was:
    “Be always sure you are right, then go ahead.”

The dif between violence and self-defense.

10. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,406
    I've always told my son he has a right to defend himself and I will support him against the school every step of the way as long as he doesn't initiate the violence.