Villa Lewaro and other beautiful things Blacks have built:

JQPublic1

Gold Member
Aug 10, 2012
I began this thread with the intention of uncovering positive things about Backs that get buried under all the negativity from angry White "conservatives," Vila Lewaro serves my purpose well and is an excellent starting point that can veer off either to the distant past or to the future in acknowledging a brighter side of the Black experience. It is the reader's choice to add to it as needed. Trolls will be ignored.

Madame-C.J.-Walkers-Villa-Lewaro_Courtesy-of-David-Bohl.jpg

Villa Lewaro is a magnificent structure designed and built by a Black architect early in the 20th Century circa 1919. Here is a picture of that man:

REX021_038.jpg

Vertner Woodson Tandy

Even more surprising was who he built Vila Lewaro for, especially in 1919.
It was for the lady on the left, Madame C.J. Walker. That is her great great grand daughter on the right.

141022_blog-photo_villa-lewaro_headshots.gif

Madame CJ Walker ///// Her descendent!

140602_blog_photo_VillaLewaro_MusicRoom_DavidBohl_HistoricNewEngland.jpg

The building's interior has a Neo-Renaissance style, including a great hall and a barrel-vaulted dining room.

Villa Lewaro's Preservation

Facing many of the same stewardship challenges experienced at "white elephant" historic places throughout the nation, the property is at a critical turning point. Currently in private ownership, Villa Lewaro is vulnerable without legal mechanisms for its protection or a long-term vision for its continued preservation. Throughout the past 20 years, the owners have carefully restored the property and they continue to be great stewards, but it's time to look toward the future.

To take direct action in this preservation effort, the National Trust for Historic Preservation has named Villa Lewaro to its distinguished list of National Treasures to secure national recognition for Madam Walker's legacy and the property's future preservation. Last month, the National Trust for Historic Preservation and the Madam Walker Family Archives convened nine thought leaders from Boston, Chicago, New York City, and Washington, D.C., to identify innovative solutions for reusing the property.

Howard University Founders Library:

Howard_University_Founders_Library.jpg

Surely a Negro couldn't not have designed and built this magnificent structure; especially in the early 20th Century!

"gasp"

One did. His name is Albert Cassell. This is but one of scores of his works...

_Cassell_Albert.jpg

Buried under what? The alleged "negativity from angry white conservatives" is a figment of the imigagination of angry racist democrats who told Americans and apparently convinced Black people that they are unable to obtain a freaking photo I.D. in the 20th century

THE STREAM OF BLACK ARCHITECTURAL GENIUSES CONTINUES TO FLOW:

There seems to be no end to the column of Black architectural geniuses I can parade before you.

This one, William Sidney Pittman, has earned a place among his gifted peers. Highlighting his rise to prominence are these remarkable academic feats:

At the tender age of 17, Pittman completed programs in woodwork and architectural-mechanical drawing at the Tuskegee Institute

Apparently his work was of such high quality it earned him a scholarship to all-whie Drexel Institute. He excelled and finished the five year course in only three years.

William_Sidney_Pittman_With_Drexel_Insitute_Classmates__1900.jpg

PITTMAN AT DREXEL

1730032.0.jpg

The knights of Pythias Temple

Dallas texas

circa-1926

Patriciabath.jpg

Bath holds four patents in the United States.[5] In 1981, she conceived of the Laserphaco Probe, a medical device that improves on the use of lasers to remove cataracts, and "for ablating and removing cataract lenses".[5] The device was completed in 1986 after Bath conducted research on lasers in Berlin and patented in 1988,[14] making her the first African-American female doctor to receive a patent for a medical purpose.[15] The device — which quickly and nearly painlessly dissolves thecataract with a laser, irrigates and cleans the eye and permits the easy insertion of a new lens — is used internationally to treat the disease.[1][5][16] Bath has continued to improve the device and has successfully restored vision to people who have been unable to see for decades.[11][17]

Why is it about race? Almost no cataract surgery involves lasers these days. I had successful cataract surgery myself and there wasn't a laser in sight (no pun intended)

Why is it about race? Almost no cataract surgery involves lasers these days. I had successful cataract surgery myself and there wasn't a laser in sight (no pun intended)
I will explain it slowly so that you may be able to keep up.
The thread does not ask for a specific time period in which and invention, creation or improvement was conceived or implemented.
This woman was on the cutting edge of creativity and science when she conceived and presented her improved equipment within her profession.
It doesn't take a genious to understand that today's state of the art techniques were in part formed from her contributions to the field.

Forum List

Back