Viewing online galleries

Discussion in 'Photography and Imaging' started by dmp, May 3, 2006.

1. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    I jointed photopoints today - it's a site where one can rate photos and recieve ratings.

I'm looking through the galleries when it strikes me; Nothing 'moves me'. The galleries are chock-FULL of fantastic photos. Yet nothing so far 'really' gets my attention. I'm wondering if others look at my photos and feel the same sense of 'blah. yeah? so what?'

Could it be My photos are so often 'blah' when I get a GOOD photo I REALLY like it? Maybe it means more to me because I took it? But - see? I look at Jon's pics (misterblu) and I get the same feeling that I get when I look at pics I've created - so that can't be it.

anyone else feel like this at all? I doubt my ability to articulate how I feel - perhaps another can read this rambling and sort of 'get me'.

?

2. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Maybe it's how pretentious some of these pics are?

3. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    Maybe I'm judging them too heavily on 'artistic merits' vs. 'techincal merits'

4. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    I'm finding I don't generally care for staged photos. Different than photos with a model posing...although I'm not sure how I'd express how I can differentiate...

:(

5. The ClayTaurus

The ClayTaurus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    In looking through flickr, which I feel I've done pretty extensively, I've found only 5 photos that have earned a spot amongst my "favorites" area that flickr provides. So I don't think you're alone.

I think, obviously, that pictures you take have more meaning than to the average person. The pics I just took of Callie I'm pretty sure I like more than anyone else... but I think part of that is I have the memory of the scene, and all the emotion, if you will, that surrounded it. For everyone else, it's a picture. To me, it's a reminder of the little things your memory slowly begins to forget.

I think what moves someone is entirely subjective. Some people are more interested in well-taken, technically, shots. Others are moved more by what's in the pictures and aren't as concerned with cropping, lighting, etc. etc.

As for your photos, I don't think any of them would crack into my favorites area on flickr... neither would Jon's. That's not to say that they aren't excellent work, and not to say that they aren't better-composed/framed/whatever than my, because they are. But rather they lack that special x-factor that can't be described. And I'm not sure you could, with any consistancy at least, attempt to include certain elements that would make me be moved by it. It's almost random luck/coincidence/whatever.

I've actually wondered the same thing myself, as I sift through the millions and millions of photos on flickr that make me feel so completely amateur. What I've found really interesting is what other people pick for their favorites from the shots I've taken. Usually they don't match up with the shots I like the most.

In conclusion: it all depends :p:

6. The ClayTaurus

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I think you prefer to look at "action shots" taken of people who are unsuspecting, as opposed to lining everyone up wedding style. Yes?

You're definitely not alone there.

Or maybe more in general, you don't prefer going to lengths to set a shot up, and enjoy more the spontaneity of a shot?

7. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    If you'd actually POST UP pics of callie instead of links to 'nowhwere' I could 'see' them :)

I judge pics on the feeling I get while looking upon them; THEN by technical criteria. I've often found pics which aren't technically good, to be GREAT 'feeling' - but I've NEVER found a pic which wasn't great feeling to be 'a great shot' on technical prowess alone.

8. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741

I suppose that's fair - I like pics of things I could actually SEE by happenstance - although taken from a unique perspective? maybe? compared to shots where somebody obviously set up a 'scene' - not counting portraits among that last group.

There's a pic on photopoints of an old-skewl alarm clock sitting on a stair with somebody's blurry legs walking past behind.

It's called something pretentious like "MOMENT!".

My thought? "So f'ing what?"

The "So-What?" test is a bitch.

lol :)

9. The ClayTaurus

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    What do you mean, so what? So what who cares? So what that's stupid?

What makes the title pretentious?

10. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    I mean "it's an alarm clock on a stair. So what?"

It's a very mundane photo that somebody tries to make better with artsy-fartsy names and junk.