VIETNAM: The Butcher of the Delta - Speedy Express - National Archives

Was My Lai just one of many massacres in Vietnam War?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I can't handle the truth

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• I'm not afraid of the truth. So let me in

• Total voters

JBvM

VIP Member
Jun 7, 2018
... ... ...
VIETNAM: The Butcher of the Delta - Speedy Express - National Archives

Yeah bay bay! Who is it that 'Can't handle the truth?'

Industrial-scale slaughter
In late 1968, the 9th Infantry Division, under the command of Gen Julian Ewell, kicked off a large-scale operation in the Mekong Delta, the densely populated deep south of Vietnam.

Vietnam War: 'Kill anything that moves'

For all the bs from wingnuts and other haters, even Obama turned away from the ugliness that is often truth

Commemoration
Last year, the Pentagon kicked off a 13-year programme to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the war. An entry on the official Vietnam War Commemoration website for My Lai describes it as an "incident" and the number killed is listed as "200" not 500.

Speedy Express is referred to as "an operation that would eventually yield an enemy body count of 11,000".
There is almost no mention of Vietnamese civilians.

In a presidential proclamation on the website, Barack Obama distils the conflict down to troops slogging "through jungles and rice paddies… fighting heroically to protect the ideals we hold dear as Americans… through more than a decade of combat".

Despite what the president might believe, combat was just a fraction of that war.

The real war in Vietnam was typified by millions of men, women, and children driven into slums and refugee camps; by homes, hamlets, and whole villages burnt to the ground; by millions killed or wounded when war showed up on their doorstep.

President Obama called the Vietnam War "a chapter in our nation's history that must never be forgotten". But thanks to cover-ups like that of Speedy Express, few know the truth to begin with.

About the author: Nick Turse has been researching US military atrocities in the Vietnam War for more than a decade and has detailed his findings in a book Kill Anything That Moves: The Real American War in Vietnam.

A Pentagon spokesman, when asked for a statement about the evidence presented, said he doubted that more than 50 years after the US went to war in Vietnam, it would be possible for the military to provide an official statement in "a timely manner." Vietnam War: 'Kill anything that moves'

Forum List

Back