Video game violence

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Avatar4321, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,153
    I dont think this topic comes up very much and I am thinking about writing a paper on the subject but now I am kind of curious what everyone thinks.

What is inspiring the paper is a news story I saw on a federal judge overturning a Minnesota law that is supposed to go into effect tomorrow because it violated the First amendment.

Judge voids new law on video games

So what does everything think about video game violence and minors?

2. remie

remie Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    The article contains the following quote:

"The state failed to prove that violent games hurt children, the federal judge's ruling said."

This tells me the judge has no children. We have two boys ages six and five. The are restricted to 30 minutes of TV time or computer time a day(only on weekends during school) and we pick what they can see. Under normal circumstances they are great kids, but when they go to friends houses where they are allowed to watch TV and play video games unmonitered they come home with a noticeable change in personality. They tend to be more violent with one another and their manners go to shit. I am not particularly for more government intervention in our lives, but having said that I think violent video games and TV shows do have an effect on kids. It makes parenting that much more of a challenge.

3. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Hobbit used to have a signature that said something to the effect of, 'If video games really affected us, I'd be running around a dark maze eating power pellets all day long.'

While I think that video games can have a negative effect if played for too long, in moderation, I don't think they are a big deal.

4. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,758
    What a bunch of bull.
    I've grown up playing violent games and watching violent movies. I've never once gotten violent against anyone in my life except once when my home was being invaded. Of course some kids may become violent after being exposed to that sort of stuff, but not all do, and I would argue most don't.
    Good for that Judge.

5. remie

remie Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If I may ask...do you have children?

6. theHawk

theHawk Registered Conservative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,758

No, but I was one myself long time ago and I heard all of the same arguements back then as I do now.

Parents are supposed to parent, not the government.

7. remie

remie Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If you were a kid a long time ago I think you will have to admit that the games today are considerably more graphic and violent that when you were growing up.

Also I stated that I was not for the government intervening in my life. I was simply responding to Avatars question if we thought video games could make kids more violent. Having children in my house I can state without a doubt they do, and it makes parenting (which we do) more difficult.

8. JOKER96BRAVO

JOKER96BRAVO Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +285
    1. Violence shouldn't be the issue. I think if you allow your kid too much of
    ANY video game it can be unhealthy (sorry fellow gamers).

2. Most violent games don't even hold a candle as to what they see on tv.
    Video games are purchased (usually) by the adult and can be screened
    easier than television.

9. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    how did kids a long time ago become violent then.....

i have kids and have found they jones for the forbidden.....deny them something make it difficult to get and they will overindulge and it will have a negative effect....my kids we took the mystery out of everything....they play outside .... me on the other hand...i sit in my bunker and kill shit.

10. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    The quote is that if video games had affected us, "We'd spend all day running around in dark rooms eating magic pills while listening to repetitive, electronic music." The joke is that lots of people do that.

I take the libertarian stance on this. Video games are another form of entertainment, which is a private industry. The government has no power to intervene in private industry unless it can be shown that the industry violates free enterpriseor is causing tangible harm to society. The judge, in this case, made the right decision. The ESRB rating system is not a law. It is a private organization that makes money off game makers by providing a standard by which parents can judge games other than playing them, much like the MPAA rating are for movies. Instead of fining stores that give kids games that are not age appropriate, deny them their business. It's free enterprise.

Ultimately, the responsibility falls on the parents, and despite what some politicians think, it is not the job or even the right of the government to step in and halt bad parenting. Children who result from bad parenting are a sad sad case, but if we start stepping in there, where will it start.

I think Jon Stewart said it best when he followed up a senator talking about his kids playing violent games by saying, "And as I stood there, watching them play these games, I could help but ask myself, 'Where did the system go wrong?'"