Vice-President Obama?

Discussion in 'Race Relations/Racism' started by William Joyce, Mar 9, 2008.

1. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
  2. JimH52

JimH52 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,223
    Interesting idea but I have Black friends who have emphatically said, "This country may be ready for a woman President or a black President but not for both a black and woman."

I don't know... You think they are?

3. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    There is a big difference and I can explain it on one word “Choice”. The slavery that American Blacks experienced years ago was not of their choosing. If Obama wants to be a “slave” to Clinton, then he has that choice, provided Clinton wants him as a vice president. Likewise, if Obama wants Clinton for a running mate, that will be up to him and her.

4. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    The slavery that no living blacks experienced years ago not of their choosing was not of anyone currently living's doing.

If you were to produce a former slave and an former slave owner, I would agree that the latter owes the former an apology, and compensation for services rendered.

Otherwise ... NOT.

5. mattskramer

mattskramer Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +359
    I’m not talking about that. I’m just making fun of the comparison between the idea of Obama consenting to being a vice president with that of his being a slavery.

6. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I think you covered that rather nicely so I thought I'd start an argument about something legit, keying off what you said.:cool:

7. Brian Crooks

Brian Crooks Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the whole, I kind of agree with you. I may be a bit biased because I'm Black and my father's side of the family comes directly from slavery in South Carolina. Here's how I feel, though. Slavery in the south still has continuing effects. The descendants of slave owners in many cases are still mega-rich off the money that their long-gone ancestors made buying and selling slaves as well as the products they generated. On the flip side, a lot of descendants of former slaves are still living in the busted-down hovels that their ancestors moved into after being "freed" while working as share croppers. Share cropping bankrupted generations and there are still some cases in which these descendants are still making payments to the descendants of slave owners. It's by no means their own fault that they're still dirt poor.

I know that's not what this thread is about, but I just had to jump in there.

8. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Can you name some?

9. BrianH

BrianH Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +238
    I think it's a cool topic to start up. It's bound to be very long though. :confused:

I wonder if the statement about slave owners being rich still is entirely accurate. I'm not downing anyone, but I'm just thinking. Southern farmers and slave-owners lost alot during the Civil War, there was no centralized "government" in the south, so the funding for the war involved alot of these rich plantation owners. Not to mention the war was waged mostly in the South. I do acknowledge that blacks did have a miserable time during and after the Civil War.

My personal opinion (may not be worth much) on why alot of blacks remain poor, is because of the lack of education. It doesn't seem that most blacks value a higher education. (I have black friends that I went to college with, and this is a topic that we discussed, so I'm not slamming anyones race: I'm an educator and this is what I've seen first hand)I don't think that alot of blacks, especially inner-city blacks, realize the opportunity and benefit there is to having an education after high school.They don't have the money to go, so they don't set their sites to go. If they only knew that the government gives young minorities numerous financial opportunities to attend, it may be different. If they could all start getting a formal college education, they would offset this endless cycle of poverty. Another big problem in my opinion is the hip-hop industry, it's made every young black man set his sites on becoming a professional rapper. That's a completely different thread though. I'm sure there are some cases where some black families are still feeling effects, but I'm not quite sold on the idea that it's that widespread of a problem.

10. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,383
    I don't think he was literally saying it would be slavery, only pointing out how it would be perceived on the surface.