Vertical Farming

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Dr.Traveler, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Mathematician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,052
    I realize this is an old article, but it was brought to my attention recently....

Spiraling Skyscraper Farms

[​IMG]

As the world’s population continues to skyrocket and cities strain under the increased demand for resources, skyscraper farms offer an inspired approach towards creating sustainable vertical density. One of three finalists in this year’s Evolo Skyscraper Competition Eric Vergne’s Dystopian Farm project envisions a future New York City interspersed with elegantly spiraling biomorphic structures that will harness cutting-edge technology to provide the city with its own self-sustaining food source.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of the things I've heard about these projects are mindblowing and game changing. Imagine a self sustaining mega city. With vertical farming, the city could feed itself with little need for actual farming land.

This could be a game changer in a lot of ways.

2. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Why don't people just stop fucking like rabbits? Such a simple solution really.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,394
    Those things would suck in co2 and crank out oxygen. Not a bad idea.

4. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    And most big cities already have water supply issues,

5. HUGGY

HUGGY I Post Because I Care Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,285
    I'm all for the innovation and everything but this idea is impractical on so many levels(No pun intended:lol:). Obviously thought up by someone with little or no knowledge in farming. We are not now nor will we ever be close to short on land to farm. The most important thing to consider in growing produce is cost. You can grow pot in your attic if you are selling ounces of bud for $2000. To feed masses of people a head of lettuce needs to cost less than a dollar. If you spend 10-20 million bucks just to build your fantasy vertical garden and have to pay city prices for water your head of lettuce will cost about $20. There are so many problems inherant with this idea beyond the forementioned economic reality check. For one and it is hardly a minor problem...cities are filthy.. germs and parasites that would attck your produce would be overwelming. You couldn't spray toxins to combat them so most of what you tried to grow would be lost. It is one thing to grow a few tomatoes in a hanging basket off your deck... It is a whole nother proposition to try to grow 100 tons of em with all that time and investment relying on your performance. Crops need an environment that you can control for the most part. A huge part of that control is eliminating airborne risks which you could not do in a city.

Oh did I mention sunlight? What do you think the cost of light would add to the price of this produce? You will end up eating your cannibis to save money.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  6. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,760
    I think it's a great idea worth exploring.

But what about vertical ranches?

Me likes meat! :D

7. HUGGY

HUGGY I Post Because I Care Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,285
    The smell would make it not tolerable in a city. Again..we have input from someone who has never set foot on a ranch or a farm. :lol::lol::lol:

8. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,760
    Wrong and wrong... again. :lol:

9. asaratis

asaratis Uppity Senior Citizen Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,520
    Because animals were born to fuck. They eat just to stay alive so they can fuck some more.

Bermuda doesn't...and it's bigger than some cities.

There's enough runoff from one rainy day to irrigate plant foods for more than a day. Capture the water and you've got it made.

With the skyscrapers, there's no shortage of sunlight either. We could grow some wicked gardens just by planting on the roofs. Add to the acreage by planting out the windows.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

10. Charles Stucker

Charles Stucker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Cure idea for a sci fi novel, but not really practical at his time. As already noted the price would be excessive. Just maintaining that structure would cost more resources than might be reasonably saved on transport from outlying farming communities.