USMB Is Reviewing The Current Reputation Breakdown. We Are Open For Input Here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'd be a school board member, nah. "God made the Idiot for practice, and then He made the School Board," Mark Twain. And our congress today is made up of mostly buffoons.

PS starting your own religion is a bit hyperbolic and for some maybe disrespectful?

Ha ha. You raise a very good point. People who have started their own religions;
hEBA1F2CF
h7B304C71
tumblr_mdiaf8cyep1qdz8lio1_500.jpg

628x471.jpg

(Note, that last one is the one that the world's elites are into, including much of the European Aristocracy and the Rothschild family. I shit you not. :lol: )

Personally, I have felt, that people that have a very HIGH rep. have either been on the forum a very long time, and/or spend a lot of time on here. Or they tend to have a mind that is an echo chamber. This means they repeat an establishment point of view. So naturally they are going to get lots of rep. points with people who watch/listen/ and read the same MSM points of partisan position pieces as they do.

But if we don't have citizens that are well educated, that seek to look beyond the corporate media, beyond the story they are fed, the story that the establishment wishes the citizenry to accept, how will the republic survive the predations of the elites?

On the other hand, I am not necessarily inclined to admire those whose mission it is to just piss off anyone and everyone they can. These radicals and reactionaries find no pleasure in taking seriously any compromise with those who SERIOUSLY wish to find the truth and facts behind the events of our day.

I like the;
I think 5000 and above should be "Hung Like Bull" or "Attention Whore" or "Dances With Bikers".
After all, if you don't make any enemies, you sure as hell aren't doing a good job around here. So there Should be a little tongue in cheek ribbing for those who get up too high.

Unless of course, you have been here SO long, and you spend all your time on here. How can you help not get too high? Not only that, if you spend all your time posting awesome music, jokes, and human interest posts, well, then, of course you are going to have high rep.

But let's not forget what good 'ol Churchill said. You don't get unbelievable high rep. without making enemies, and you don't make enemies w/o taking a stand.

sir-winston-churchill-quotes-e1351431435750.jpg

And for those who get -5000 and below, well, let's face it, they have the attitude of a Honey Badger. Not that this is bad. Why do people view negative rep. so bad? There are some people on this board, I expect them to be so low brow, they are itching to use that neg. rep. function. And others, no matter how heated I get into it with them, they are so completely above using it, I know that it won't come, I'd be honored if I could get it out of them, but it would never happen. I get ashamed of myself when I lose my temper. lol I know then it was just a dishonest attempt to try to get a neg. out of them. :lol:
Honey+Badger+Day.+Happy+belated+Honey+Badger+Day+to+everyone_26cfd1_3270590.jpg

[MENTION=20285]Intense[/MENTION] [MENTION=40540]Connery[/MENTION]

It is never going to show that anyone gets that low. Cuz when they get one red dot they are allowed to turn off their rep and continue their little trolldome with impunity. Turning it off guarantees them the ability to stalk, troll, bait, and cause all the mayhem they want completely unrestricted unless someone reports them and people get tired of reporting. So they are free range trolls with no accountability whatsoever.

Last edited:
Sounds like you really enjoy the ability to neg rep...cherish it even.

Cherish? No. Necessary? Yes. I really wish I didn't feel the need, but it is the only tool the site gives me to show my contempt for the particularly disruptive, dishonest or just plain disgusting members I run across. I suppose I could flame the idiots instead, but many are not worth the effort and sometimes I just don't care to add on topic content to an insult in order to abide by rules for specific areas.

Reputation and rep display are the only indication we have to judge how unfamiliar posters are regarded by their peers. Opting out of the system or turning off rep display are nothing more than a cowardly way of appearing acceptable. Neither should be allowed.

I agree with Ernie that it is a limited tool at best and opting out further reduces the effectiveness of the tool. So perhaps there is a penalty for opting out such as a posting limit of just 5/day for those who opt out.

Since the only real measure of anyone's "worth" in these forums is credibility it might be worthwhile trying to come up with a credibility index of some sort. Yes, there are always those who will try to game it but it might be worth considering.

You think they measure "worth" by credibility here?

Although I'm sure they think everyone finds the narcissistic ass kissing quite enthralling to be sure. :lol::lol:

It is never going to show that anyone gets that low. Cuz when they get one red dot they are allowed to turn off their rep and continue their little trolldome with impunity. Turning it off guarantees them the ability to stalk, troll, bait, and cause all the mayhem they want completely unrestricted unless someone reports them and people get tired of reporting. So they are free range trolls with no accountability whatsoever.

That is not true at all. Not everything that is done regarding a problem poster is visible to the general membership nor is the reported post the only way a potential problem or situation gets noticed.

I think a thumbs down alternative to the "Thanks" button is a piss poor substitute for negative rep.
Allowing people to opt out of the rep system and the 48 hour rule are about the worst crap to happen here since I've been here.
If you want to be an asshole, you shouldn't be able to opt out of the only tool members have for letting you know your attempts to humiliate yourself were successful.
Sounds like you really enjoy the ability to neg rep...cherish it even.

Cherish? No. Necessary? Yes. I really wish I didn't feel the need, but it is the only tool the site gives me to show my contempt for the particularly disruptive, dishonest or just plain disgusting members I run across. I suppose I could flame the idiots instead, but many are not worth the effort and sometimes I just don't care to add on topic content to an insult in order to abide by rules for specific areas.

Reputation and rep display are the only indication we have to judge how unfamiliar posters are regarded by their peers. Opting out of the system or turning off rep display are nothing more than a cowardly way of appearing acceptable. Neither should be allowed.

^^^^^^what he said!

That is not true at all. Not everything that is done regarding a problem poster is visible to the general membership nor is the reported post the only way a potential problem or situation gets noticed.

[MENTION=40540]Connery[/MENTION]

Perhaps the perception of 'problem' is a bit different from one person to another. Being stalked and trolled as I have been and still am by certain posters is no doubt more problematic to me than to someone who is not being stalked and trolled. And when they can stalk and troll me, but I can't even neg them for it, then there is an unfair balance of power.

[MENTION=40540]Connery[/MENTION]

Perhaps the perception of 'problem' is a bit different from one person to another. Being stalked and trolled as I have been and still am by certain posters is no doubt more problematic to me than to someone who is not being stalked and trolled. And when they can stalk and troll me, but I can't even neg them for it, then there is an unfair balance of power.

You have several options, including:
Place on ignore: "When placed on Ignore by a Member, You may Pos and Neg Rep them. You may not PM, VM, or @Mention them, it is considered harassment." Moreover, you can report it or contact me via PM as you well know I respond to situations as soon as practicable with a resolution in mind.

As such, I am inviting you to PM me regarding your situation....:)

I think newcomers should be protected from negative rep until they have at least 500 reputation points. They should also only be allowed to pos rep others until they reach that threshold. Then at least they have a chance against being gang-negged by those who then try to humiliate them by putting them and their red splats on their sig.

You can't blame newcomers for disabling their rep when they have no chance of overcoming the multiple negs by a small group, that's their only defense when the neg rep feature is being abused.

[MENTION=20285]Intense[/MENTION]

I think everyone should have to be subject to getting rep. There can be punishment, like taking all or part for inappropriate use of rep. But no one should get to opt out and then run rampant all over the forum giving the rest of us hell. Everyone should have to take their licks. I know I take mine. It would make for fewer trolls if everyone had to.

Why do USMB conservatives throw such fits when they can't neg someone?

I think everyone should have to be subject to getting rep. There can be punishment, like taking all or part for inappropriate use of rep. But no one should get to opt out and then run rampant all over the forum giving the rest of us hell. Everyone should have to take their licks. I know I take mine. It would make for fewer trolls if everyone had to.

because gang neg-repping is their thing.

it is a very serious thing, too.

It's funny that they call someone that complains about being gang neg repped a whiner and then they turn around and "whine" about those who disable their rep feature.

Neg repping is a lose-lose in my humble opinion. That doesn't mean that it should be eliminated. One of the first neg reps I ever received was from the same person who is now whining that she can't neg rep people who turn off their rep. The irony being that she accused me of whining when I shared her hilarious reason for doing so in Syrenn's neg rep thread.

So what is needed here is some perspective.

If you indulge yourself by handing out neg reps you must expect to receive them in return because you are essentially setting yourself up for them.

On the other hand if you simply ignore posters, rather than neg rep them, you can largely avoid the problem. Yes, you will still get neg repped but that is their problem, not yours.

Neg repping is more a reflection of the person giving out the neg rep than it is of the person being negged in my opinion. If I seriously disagree enough that I would feel the need to neg rep I would compose a post instead. It would state exactly why I believed whatever was in that post was despicable. Above all I would try to deal with the content and not the character.

So this is why I believe displaying the total of neg rep handed out by a poster is something that is of value to others. If I see someone has done a lot of neg repping that tells me something about them. It won't change what I post but it will tell me what to expect in return.

Ultimately neg rep is just a number like pos rep. If I lose some for speaking my mind then sobeit. That is what this forum is all about. Everyone has the satisfaction of having their say irrespective of whether or not anyone else agrees with it.

Speaking out is a good thing. Neg repping is a bad thing. I prefer to live my own life surrounded by the positive so I choose not to neg rep anyone. For those that do that is their choice and they have to live with the consequences.

Thank you for allowing me share my thoughts on this topic.

Peace
DT

There is always an audit trail so if the same posters belong to a "gang" they should be easy enough to identify. So start a "gang" thread and whenever it happens add the screen shot of the neg reps as "evidence". After it happens N number of times the Admins can then choose to suspend the gang members neg repping privileges, reinstate all of the lost rep thereby negating the gang's efforts, restrict their posting rights, remove the same amount of pos rep that they neg repped or any combination of the above.

After that happens a couple of times the gangs will figure out that it isn't worth the effort or move elsewhere.

There is always an audit trail so if the same posters belong to a "gang" they should be easy enough to identify. So start a "gang" thread and whenever it happens add the screen shot of the neg reps as "evidence". After it happens N number of times the Admins can then choose to suspend the gang members neg repping privileges, reinstate all of the lost rep thereby negating the gang's efforts, restrict their posting rights, remove the same amount of pos rep that they neg repped or any combination of the above.

After that happens a couple of times the gangs will figure out that it isn't worth the effort or move elsewhere.

Just zero out their rep and make them start over

It's funny that they call someone that complains about being gang neg repped a whiner and then they turn around and "whine" about those who disable their rep feature.

Its part of their unwritten rules

If they see you complain because they repeatedly neg you, they pile on more neg for complaining
If you try to neg them back, they just pile on more negs
If you make a retalliatory post, they use it as justification why you deserve to be negged
If you get fed up with the abuse and turn off your rep, they call you a coward and whine more

Last edited:

Just zero out their rep and make them start over

That works too but I would base it on a 3 strikes ruling.

sounds like too much work.

they can easily be identified by their bragging about giving red splats, their yelling at posters to turn on their rep function to show said red splats, sporting red splats in their sig or avatar, whining about no longer being able to "punish" posters who opted out etc...

Still haven't actually seen this gang neg repping in a thread....Unless you look at 911insidejob on some of his threads, but he turned his off ages ago or at least made it invisible. And that wasn't gang repoping it was more like everyone who sees it knows it deserves negged....

Still haven't actually seen this gang neg repping in a thread....Unless you look at 911insidejob on some of his threads, but he turned his off ages ago or at least made it invisible. And that wasn't gang repoping it was more like everyone who sees it knows it deserves negged....

It has toned down quite a bit since they changed the rules to one neg every 48 hrs. Also by allowing posters to opt out of the rep system

However, there was a time when every new liberal poster was attacked by the neg rep wolfpack who celebrated their red splotches like scalps on a belt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back