USMB.com rated 1st in online 1st Amendment compliance by

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
..well, just me. But in my 30 or so years online, this is certainly the best site for being able to discuss a broad range of topics. And thinking of these topics, but for overt attack type threads, pretty much anything goes (or at least from within the law and site-rules.) And unlike similar sites, Staff doesn't seem to project their own preferences of biases onto content or official policy decisions.

Well done USMB.

Tell us, Uncle Delta... what was the internets like 30 years ago? :dunno:

It was called dialup and you connected to local or long distance computers over a phone call using a terminal program and you called a computer running a BBS program. System administrators were called Sysops (System Operators) and trolls were called Christmas modemers because they likely got their computer for Christmas as a present and started causing problems by not following etiquette (naturally accepted board rules) because they did not know the rules.

Back then, boards use to fail because they wouldn't last a year and sometimes it was the hard drive that caused board crashes.

Think about how much it costs to install a phone line and pay for it every month and on top of it add electricity and tie up a computer and keep it up. It required doing maintenance because when the board ran out of room, it took maintenance to clean it up and free up some room.

..well, just me. But in my 30 or so years online, this is certainly the best site for being able to discuss a broad range of topics. And thinking of these topics, but for overt attack type threads, pretty much anything goes (or at least from within the law and site-rules.) And unlike similar sites, Staff doesn't seem to project their own preferences of biases onto content or official policy decisions.

Well done USMB.

USMB has never complied with the 1st Amendment, but thanks for displaying the fact that you don't think before you post.

Tell us, Uncle Delta... what was the internets like 30 years ago? :dunno:

Remember that accoustic coupler in "Wargames?" It was like that. (And the reason Mom wouldn't let me be "online" until later. But friends were.) :) My Commodore Vic-20 with 16KB RAM was basically a glorified Atari 2600. The cassette "disk drive" took a good half hour to load even an all-text game of the time.

The early internet was unusuably primitive by today's standards. Before hyperlinks and drag n drop you have to manually type in URLs. Of course, the side effect of that was lots of capable typists, unlike today :)

Well done USMB.

USMB has never complied with the 1st Amendment, but thanks for displaying the fact that you don't think before you post.

If I thought before posting I wouldn't need to hit Edit so many times correcting typos. :)

...In this case I did think first as the mean-spirited reply was self-redacted before hitting Reply.

It's unfortunate how readily we speak the mean-spirited things out loud, yet hold in the nice stuff. I always attempt to say the nice stuff when it occurs as with offering people a compliment when the thought occurs to do so.

I like this site, especially with lots of comparisons to make. I've seen much worse ones, and none better except for those with specific subject matter.

Actually ARPA/DARPA did. Like many other technological innovations, the internet began with defense applications in mind as with decentralizing computer infrastructure in the event of nuclear attack.

Well done USMB.

If I thought before posting I wouldn't need to hit Edit so many times correcting typos. :)

...In this case I did think first as the mean-spirited reply was self-redacted before hitting Reply.

The TOS of this place states they can delete any post for any reason, that is not free speech. Free speech would be a forum with no moderation whatever, and you could say whatever you want. That is not how it works here, thus you did not think before you posted.

By the way, I have the same problem with typos, at least half my posts have been edited because of them.

When one mixes red, blue, and white paint in the right proportions, one gets a lovely shade of pink!

The TOS of this place states they can delete any post for any reason, that is not free speech. Free speech would be a forum with no moderation whatever, and you could say whatever you want. That is not how it works here, thus you did not think before you posted.

By the way, I have the same problem with typos, at least half my posts have been edited because of them.

Freedom as you describe it is anarchy, especially in an online context. The result would be a site no one would want to use no matter where they fall on the spectrum. If you wanna see that sort of freedom, go sit on IRC sometime.

You already get to say way more than you should.....try some other forum....you wouldn't last long.

There used to be this website called MySatan. They had a great many topics too.

Alas, it is gone :-(

USMB is badass too though.

There aren't too many sites out there that allow as much freedom as this site. Whether that is a good thing or not is up to the individual member. I am still waiting for the news report that points to a USMB member going on a racist shooting spree.

Freedom as you describe it is anarchy, especially in an online context. The result would be a site no one would want to use no matter where they fall on the spectrum. If you wanna see that sort of freedom, go sit on IRC sometime.

Yet there are actually non IRC forums out there that allow what you describe as anarchy, and thrive.

I used IRC for years, I never saw anyone complain about the freedom. Have you considered the possibility that you are a wuss?

You already get to say way more than you should.....try some other forum....you wouldn't last long.

I have tried other forums, have you considered the possibility that your problem isn't me?

This place rocks! Which is why so many that lost the privilege to post here, cry.

Forum List

Back