Using Facebook to Screen Jurors

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
The district attorney’s office plans to use prospective jurors’ Facebook profiles and postings when considering whether an individual is qualified to sit on a jury.

Cameron County courtrooms recently were upgraded so that all courtrooms are Wi-Fi compatible, which will allow prosecutors to use iPads during the jury selection process, District Attorney Armando R. Villalobos said.

District Attorney to use Facebook profiles in jury selection | district, attorney, use - Top Story - Brownsville Herald

Hmmmm. I could see some people updating their profiles to make themselves look biased in some way.

Good idea?

The district attorney’s office plans to use prospective jurors’ Facebook profiles and postings when considering whether an individual is qualified to sit on a jury.

Cameron County courtrooms recently were upgraded so that all courtrooms are Wi-Fi compatible, which will allow prosecutors to use iPads during the jury selection process, District Attorney Armando R. Villalobos said.

District Attorney to use Facebook profiles in jury selection | district, attorney, use - Top Story - Brownsville Herald

Hmmmm. I could see some people updating their profiles to make themselves look biased in some way.

Good idea?

Smart folks have their F/B settings on private so only friends can see their info.

I think its funny as hell to tell you the truth. Why not, facebook is public and very good look into what you think, feel and are up to. Who your friends are and what they think and feel.

Good idea?

Aside from the creepy stalker feeling I get from this.

It's a bad idea.

It assumes all people are the personna they put out on the internet instead of who they are.

Incase you didn't know; people lie on the internet. shocking I know.

It's a wee bit creepy, and it crosses a line. Interrogating a juror is one thing; investigating him is another.

Depends on what they are doing and how they do it.

If someone has thousands of friends, how are they going to judge all of them as applied to the person?

meh

If it saves time and money, fine, if it's a waste, stop it.

Seems reasonable, as long as he doesn't try to ask me for my Facebook profile information so he can look it up.

I'm with you EZ but I suppose it's inevitable. It's public information. The uncomfortable part is that they may be reading it in front of you. Imagine the facial expressions when they check out the photos!:tongue::eek::mad::eusa_clap::up:::hitit:

I don't do facebook. Quite frankly I think it's one of the most narcissistic things I've ever seen.

People constantly updating their status as if it really matters to the world what they're doing every second of every day. I suppose you could say it's sad but I think it's a waste of time.

Why not? If you want to give your personal profile to the world on Facebook or even Youtube videos you give up your right to privacy. Why shouldn't your personal life be used by juror selection experts?

I have heard of defense attorneys who post assistants in the courthouse parking lot to check out the bumper stickers of prospective jurors.

Makes sense to me. I sure as heck know what I would do with a juror whose car was out there in the parking lot with "Support Your Local Police" or "America - Love It Or Leave" it on their bumper.

As an aside - prosecutors are now using Facebook junk to establish gang allegations. Many gang members proudly post all of their gang information on Facebook, along with photos of their graffiti renderings, them flashing gang signs, etc. Just Power Point all of that up to the jury to establish that the defendant is a gang member, when a gang allegation is charged. Game over.

Last edited:
probably can't use the facebook in court for that, George. It is heresay, and folks do lie, so facebook would not be admissible.

But for jury selection, it makes sense.

I am pretty sure the defense attorneys are using it. And employers sure are

And the police. Like you said it might not be admissable, but it certainly is useful. Some of these morons are so enamored by a phony pic of a beautiful blonde, they are thrilled to "friend them". Cracks me up.

I went on there because a pal said I should. It's like picking up a piece of flypaper. Now, with regularity, I am bombarded with emails informing me that someone I have never heard of wants to befriend me. Gotta get out of there. It sure holds nothing for this old boy.

Forum List

Back