US Treasury is owed the tax that Apple has avoided

barryqwalsh

Gold Member
Sep 30, 2014
Viewed from the headquarters of the US Internal Revenue Service in Washington it appears to be an Irish cat, free from US taxation until the billions get remitted to the Land of the Free. But viewed from the office of the Irish Revenue Commissioners it is (or was) a Bermudan cat, exempt from taxes in Ireland and happily there are none in Bermuda. The tax accountants had apparently been able to strip the beast of any nationality whatsoever and hence this particular very large unit of Apple of any liability to corporation taxes.

http://m.independent.ie/opinion/col...-the-tax-that-apple-has-avoided-35019476.html

Blame the liberal hipsters who buy I-crap. I notice the left isn't protesting, occupying, or even shunning Apple products.

Blame the liberal hipsters who buy I-crap. I notice the left isn't protesting, occupying, or even shunning Apple products.

Apple is not Wall Street- Wall Street, at the head of which are the banks, -create- most of the fait money in existence. Apple just tries to avoid paying its fair share of taxes. That being said, the left has certainly been fairly vocal about Apple's tax avoidance:
Apple must now pay its taxes. This is a vindication of protest | Owen Jones

I've loved apple products since my family got our first Apple IIe almost 30 years ago (yes, macs were out, but we couldn't afford one of those at the time). Lately, however, I've begun to think that despite their benefits, the price may no longer be worth it, especially considering compatibility issues. Last I checked, they didn't even work with Samsung Galaxy cell phones. And ofcourse I'm not a fan of their tax avoidance. I've been thinking my next computer may well be a Windows based machine.

Saturday Extra
Search RN

The Apple tax decision
Saturday 3 September 2016 7:45AM (view full episode)

Apple has to pay the Irish government for tax owed from the past decade but the real story is what next and which other global giants are in the firing line.

Saturday Extra - ABC Radio National (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Glad Apple has to pay Ireland now anyway, and I hope this trend of governments asking corporations to pay their fair share keeps on going.

The US is perhaps the only country to attempt to tax citizen's earning income overseas.

This is why we're seeing record numbers renouncing citizenship and why we have trillions sitting in bank accounts around the world. Add to that the highest corporate tax rate in the world, and there is little doubt why so much capital is sitting on the sidelines. But hey, we only need capital to create jobs. That's not important is it?

The US is perhaps the only country to attempt to tax citizen's earning income overseas.

This is why we're seeing record numbers renouncing citizenship and why we have trillions sitting in bank accounts around the world. Add to that the highest corporate tax rate in the world, and there is little doubt why so much capital is sitting on the sidelines. But hey, we only need capital to create jobs. That's not important is it?

Actually, the U.S. is incredibly friendly to corporations dodging taxes. A few months ago, CNN found that 20% of big corporations pay zero corporate taxes.:
20% of big companies pay zero corporate taxes

I reiterate my point- it's high time the fat cats start coughing up what they owe the U.S. And the U.S. certainly isn't alone in maintaining such fat cats.

Actually, the U.S. is incredibly friendly to corporations dodging taxes. A few months ago, CNN found that 20% of big corporations pay zero corporate taxes.:

I reiterate my point- it's high time the fat cats start coughing up what they owe the U.S. And the U.S. certainly isn't alone in maintaining such fat cats.

Strawman. My point remains that we are about the only country to tax overseas income.

Further, you're bitching about corporations paying exactly what the IRS tells them they have to pay...but that isn't enough for you. They don't owe squat.

Here's a thought: spend less and no more than we take in.

Strawman. My point remains that we are about the only country to tax overseas income.

Alright, granted you were talking about taxing companies overseas. What you don't understand is that companies like Apple are avoiding paying U.S. taxes by their money shell games. I think the following graphic from wired.com is a good attempt at showing how Apple, Google, Facebook, Microsoft and Amazon funnel money through various countries in order to avoid paying taxes as much as possible, in any country:
How Apple—and the Rest of Silicon Valley—Avoids the Tax Man

Here's another article, this one just focusing on a few of the companies of the last one, from creditloan.com:
Double Irish Deception: How Google—Apple—Facebook Avoid Paying Taxes

Further, you're bitching about corporations paying exactly what the IRS tells them they have to pay...but that isn't enough for you.

Indeed, I don't believe paying zero taxes is nearly enough to pay for all the services that many large companies are essentially getting for free. Do you think the infrastructure that these companies rely on such as education for their employees via public schools and subsidies for higher learning, or the roads, police, etc., are free?

I can certainly agree with that. I'm not a fan of incurring debt. I'm also not a fan of wealthy corporations getting services for free. It's the usual welfare for the rich "trickle down" economic model and it's been shown to be a dismal failure.

Alright, granted you were talking about taxing companies overseas. What you don't understand is that companies like Apple are avoiding paying U.S. taxes by their money shell games. I think the following graphic from wired.com is a good attempt at showing how Apple, Google, Facebook, Microsoft and Amazon funnel money through various countries in order to avoid paying taxes as much as possible, in any country:

Here's another article, this one just focusing on a few of the companies of the last one, from creditloan.com:

Further, you're bitching about corporations paying exactly what the IRS tells them they have to pay...but that isn't enough for you.

Indeed, I don't believe paying zero taxes is nearly enough to pay for all the services that many large companies are essentially getting for free. Do you think the infrastructure that these companies rely on such as education for their employees via public schools and subsidies for higher learning, or the roads, police, etc., are free?

I can certainly agree with that. I'm not a fan of incurring debt. I'm also not a fan of wealthy corporations getting services for free. It's the usual welfare for the rich "trickle down" economic model and it's been shown to be a dismal failure.

Not buying it.

I believe the notion of taxing labor is immoral and antithetical to the notion of free society. Further, if we could manage to live on the revenue we had just a decade or so ago, we wouldn't need an income tax. The Feds produce a lot of revenue outside of income taxes. Lastly, if we're going to have an income tax, the only way it could remotely be considered fair is to have a flat tax with no exemptions for anyone earning income within the US borders. Outside of those borders, it's none of the US government's business.

Last thought: those things you list (education, roads, police)...NONE of them are powers granted to the Federal government. They are state issues. Get thee a copy of the Constitution!

Not buying it.

I believe the notion of taxing labor is immoral and antithetical to the notion of free society.

Corporations are not "labour". Corporations have frequently had a pretty dismal regard for labour, actually. Here's how Google defines a corporation:
"a company or group of people authorized to act as a single entity (legally a person) and recognized as such in law."

I believe a documentary called "The Corporation" has did a good job in educating people as to the dark side of many corporations. Here's the trailer:

Further, if we could manage to live on the revenue we had just a decade or so ago, we wouldn't need an income tax.

There are different types of income. One is the type earned through labour. Then there is "capital gains", wherein all you need to earn money is to own stocks that appreciate. Ironically, the one that requires no labour, capital gains, is frequently taxed less, if at all. And trading isn't taxed at all. Yet consumers are frequently taxed when they buy things they actually need in the form of sales tax.

The Feds produce a lot of revenue outside of income taxes. Lastly, if we're going to have an income tax, the only way it could remotely be considered fair is to have a flat tax with no exemptions for anyone earning income within the US borders.

I disagree. It would be patently unfair to tax those who are barely making due with their earnings at the same rate as those who have a yacht or 3.

Last thought: those things you list (education, roads, police)...NONE of them are powers granted to the Federal government. They are state issues. Get thee a copy of the Constitution!

The Federal government certainly funds roads and education, though you're right about police (they do fund the FBI and the CIA, though, which are arguably a policing force on the national and international level, respectively).

For your perusal:
The Biggest U.S. Transportation Projects to Watch in 2016

The 5 Biggest U.S. Infrastructure Projects, Plus 5 at Risk

Count me in!!! I want Apple to keep its money to invent more great new products that I will love and use rather than give it to govt to waste on more and more crippling welfare entitlements.

Count me in!!! I want Apple to keep its money( especially as it is about to be crushed by Samsung) to invent more great new products that I will love and use rather than give it to liberal govt to waste on more and more crippling welfare entitlements.

Count me in!!! I want Apple to keep its money to invent more great new products that I will love and use rather than give it to govt to waste on more and more crippling welfare entitlements.

I'll add you to the Hipster membership roles.

In 13bn ways, nothing to do with us, mate

page14_cogan.jpg

During that recent unpleasantness in Rio, we heard some of our more responsible citizens trying to explain to the peasantry of Ireland and indeed of Brazil, that "we don't do that sort of thing here".

Which is perfectly correct of course. We don't do that sort of thing here, because we don't do any sort of thing here, at least not to anyone or anything above a certain pay-grade.

http://m.independent.ie/opinion/col...ways-nothing-to-do-with-us-mate-35019418.html

Viewed from the headquarters of the US Internal Revenue Service in Washington it appears to be an Irish cat, free from US taxation until the billions get remitted to the Land of the Free. But viewed from the office of the Irish Revenue Commissioners it is (or was) a Bermudan cat, exempt from taxes in Ireland and happily there are none in Bermuda. The tax accountants had apparently been able to strip the beast of any nationality whatsoever and hence this particular very large unit of Apple of any liability to corporation taxes.

http://m.independent.ie/opinion/col...-the-tax-that-apple-has-avoided-35019476.html

This isn't news. All companies that operate outside the US, that do not bring profits back to the US, owe deferred taxes.

This is normal. As long as the companies keep their profits outside the US, they may never pay tax on those profits. Not just Apple. It's everyone.

Not buying it.

I believe the notion of taxing labor is immoral and antithetical to the notion of free society.

Corporations are not "labour". Corporations have frequently had a pretty dismal regard for labour, actually. Here's how Google defines a corporation:
"a company or group of people authorized to act as a single entity (legally a person) and recognized as such in law."

I believe a documentary called "The Corporation" has did a good job in educating people as to the dark side of many corporations. Here's the trailer:

Further, if we could manage to live on the revenue we had just a decade or so ago, we wouldn't need an income tax.

There are different types of income. One is the type earned through labour. Then there is "capital gains", wherein all you need to earn money is to own stocks that appreciate. Ironically, the one that requires no labour, capital gains, is frequently taxed less, if at all. And trading isn't taxed at all. Yet consumers are frequently taxed when they buy things they actually need in the form of sales tax.

The Feds produce a lot of revenue outside of income taxes. Lastly, if we're going to have an income tax, the only way it could remotely be considered fair is to have a flat tax with no exemptions for anyone earning income within the US borders.

I disagree. It would be patently unfair to tax those who are barely making due with their earnings at the same rate as those who have a yacht or 3.

The Federal government certainly funds roads and education, though you're right about police (they do fund the FBI and the CIA, though, which are arguably a policing force on the national and international level, respectively).

For your perusal:
The Biggest U.S. Transportation Projects to Watch in 2016

The 5 Biggest U.S. Infrastructure Projects, Plus 5 at Risk

More progressive/marxist nonsense. Taxing labor, whether an individual or a group of people that have formed a corporation is still taxing labor. I am against the notion of forcing some men to labor on the behalf of others. As a Democrat, I can understand why you still hold on to that last vestige of slavery. Yours has always been the party of mandatory ideas.

And capital gains is actually taxed twice. Good Lord you're ignorant.

Six Reasons to Keep Capital Gains Tax Rates Low

Re tax schemes, OF COURSE you want to pick and choose who pays. Not surprising given your clear central planner tendencies. Logic and reason dictate the same flat rate for everyone...or no income tax at all.

But you're not about being fair, that's clear.

Lastly, there is NOTHING in the Constitution about roads, education or police. The only thing the Feds do is take money from the states, run it through Federal bureaucracies, and then dole it back out. This has to be the most inefficient taxation scheme the world has ever known. Outside of the interstate highway (built for supposed military purposes) and Federal policing agencies, it's a state issue. You were talking about state funded schools, roads and cops and you damn well know it.

Your ignorance is on full display. Own it.

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back