US Trappist monks say beer brewing enhances monastic life

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
(I bet beer enhances monastic life.)
SPENCER, Mass. (CNS) -- The whoosh of the beer tap opening, the gentle glug of the golden brew pouring into the goblet and the sizzle of the foaming mousse are joyous sounds to Trappist Brother Jonah Pociadlo's ears as he prepares to savor the signature ale created in his monastery's brewery.

The monk -- swathed in his trademark black and white habit -- then holds the glass above his head, squints to examine the bubbling liquid inside, before drawing it to his nose to savor the aroma radiating from the tumbler, which is ornamented with the name of the brew, Spencer Trappist Ale.

"It's got a wonderful smell to it," said Brother Jonah, as his eyes gently close and his satisfied grin grows wider. "I hesitate to describe it, because it's something I think is pretty subjective. But I can almost taste it without it even touching my lips."

He then joins his fellow beer-brewing monks and lay workers to taste the ale at the Spencer Brewery, which officially began operations a little more than a year ago on the grounds of St. Joseph's Abbey in the tiny hamlet of Spencer, home to 57 monks who are Cistercians of the Strict Observance, more commonly known as Trappists.

Though Trappist Monastery brew houses have existed in Europe for at least 300 years, this community of monks opened the first Trappist brewery in the United States.

When the idea for the first American Trappist brew house was pitched to the International Trappist Association, a few of its members were dubious, Trappist Father Isaac Keeley, director of the Spencer Brewery, told Catholic News Service during a spring tour of the new state-of-the-art facility.

"They're very protective of the Trappist beer brand and they always want to ensure that a brew with that label meets the high standards they've set for it," Father Keeley said.

The association requires all beer with the Trappist name to be brewed at a Cistercian monastery, either by monks or laypeople supervised by monks.
Catholic News US Trappist monks say beer brewing enhances monastic life American Catholic

I'd try it. Has anyone else tried it?

SPENCER, Mass. (CNS) -- The whoosh of the beer tap opening, the gentle glug of the golden brew pouring into the goblet and the sizzle of the foaming mousse are joyous sounds to Trappist Brother Jonah Pociadlo's ears as he prepares to savor the signature ale created in his monastery's brewery.

The monk -- swathed in his trademark black and white habit -- then holds the glass above his head, squints to examine the bubbling liquid inside, before drawing it to his nose to savor the aroma radiating from the tumbler, which is ornamented with the name of the brew, Spencer Trappist Ale.

"It's got a wonderful smell to it," said Brother Jonah, as his eyes gently close and his satisfied grin grows wider. "I hesitate to describe it, because it's something I think is pretty subjective. But I can almost taste it without it even touching my lips."

He then joins his fellow beer-brewing monks and lay workers to taste the ale at the Spencer Brewery, which officially began operations a little more than a year ago on the grounds of St. Joseph's Abbey in the tiny hamlet of Spencer, home to 57 monks who are Cistercians of the Strict Observance, more commonly known as Trappists.

Though Trappist Monastery brew houses have existed in Europe for at least 300 years, this community of monks opened the first Trappist brewery in the United States.

When the idea for the first American Trappist brew house was pitched to the International Trappist Association, a few of its members were dubious, Trappist Father Isaac Keeley, director of the Spencer Brewery, told Catholic News Service during a spring tour of the new state-of-the-art facility.

"They're very protective of the Trappist beer brand and they always want to ensure that a brew with that label meets the high standards they've set for it," Father Keeley said.

The association requires all beer with the Trappist name to be brewed at a Cistercian monastery, either by monks or laypeople supervised by monks.
Catholic News US Trappist monks say beer brewing enhances monastic life American Catholic

Try which? Brewing- that would be yes- I have a nice Trappist style ale that should be ready next month.

This specific brew? No- I haven't seen it yet- but there are several Belgian Trappists that are available- Westmalle is the first that comes to mind- and they are yummy- rich, thick, chewy....

Try which? Brewing- that would be yes- I have a nice Trappist style ale that should be ready next month.

This specific brew? No- I haven't seen it yet- but there are several Belgian Trappists that are available- Westmalle is the first that comes to mind- and they are yummy- rich, thick, chewy....
I've brewed beer a few times and it always comes out too sugary :(

I used to live not 5 miles from the monastery. They also make wonderful jellies and preserves that are available in local grocery stores. I haven't had the beer myself but I know several people who have and say it's very good.

I am no expert- but that shoudn't happen without you trying to have it happen. Generally the yeast will eat up all of the sugar in the malt, unless you have lots of malt- so much that the brew gets too alcoholic for the yeast before fully fermenting- or if you were using some non-fermentable sugars.

I make light ales and golden Belgian style beers- no problem.

I am no expert- but that shoudn't happen without you trying to have it happen. Generally the yeast will eat up all of the sugar in the malt, unless you have lots of malt- so much that the brew gets too alcoholic for the yeast before fully fermenting- or if you were using some non-fermentable sugars.

I make light ales and golden Belgian style beers- no problem.
Lol you are clearly more knowledgeable than I. I think my beers are doomed to be too sugary forever. :(

But my smoked BBQ is fantastic. :thup:

This specific brew. Chewy?

Forum List

Back