US Meat Workers Quit As Virus Ridden Plants Reopen

This is what I said would happen. People aren't going to put money before their life, the lives of their family and friends.

As I said, trump can't force them to go back to those plants. They're quitting, calling in sick or taking leaves of absence and I don't blame them.

It's stupid to force those plants to be open but not force the owners to make it safe for the workers.

If mcconnell and the republicans get their way and take away a worker's right to sue their employer there will be more people quitting those jobs. No one will accept being forced to work in conditions that have a high chance of them getting the virus but no way to sue the employer who caused them to get sick in the first place.

I will point out that it's unconstitutional to take away a person's right to sue.

All trump and the owners of those business need to do is make it safe for the workers but that would cost money and we all know those employers don't want to spend that money. Which is stupid because their actions are going to harm or even destroy the business. They can't have a business if they don't have the workers to do the jobs.

Listen, Corona is never going away. There will not be a magic moment, where it just .... disappears from the planet.
Really? But trump said, “And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done."

Are you telling me you didn't believe him when he said that?

This is what I said would happen. People aren't going to put money before their life, the lives of their family and friends.

As I said, trump can't force them to go back to those plants. They're quitting, calling in sick or taking leaves of absence and I don't blame them.

It's stupid to force those plants to be open but not force the owners to make it safe for the workers.

If mcconnell and the republicans get their way and take away a worker's right to sue their employer there will be more people quitting those jobs. No one will accept being forced to work in conditions that have a high chance of them getting the virus but no way to sue the employer who caused them to get sick in the first place.

I will point out that it's unconstitutional to take away a person's right to sue.

All trump and the owners of those business need to do is make it safe for the workers but that would cost money and we all know those employers don't want to spend that money. Which is stupid because their actions are going to harm or even destroy the business. They can't have a business if they don't have the workers to do the jobs.

Listen, Corona is never going away. There will not be a magic moment, where it just .... disappears from the planet.
Really? But trump said, “And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done."

overpromise and underdeliver. take credit for everything positive, blame everyone else for anything negative. to the extreme.

but trumptards claim he is not a politician. lol

Democrats sure like to use the word FORCE.

Do you want to be forced to work in an unsafe environment?

Who is being forced? No one has to go to work.

That's right, that is why they walked out, and they should be able to collect Unemployment.

That is a decision you have to make. Our state will not allow you to turn down work if you are receiving unemployment.

Of course not. I never base my life on what a politician says. If you do, that's sad.

What makes you think that people weren't already doing such a thing before this sickness was in the picture? This sickness is only just the latest addition on a long list of risks.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

I understand the point you're making. It's a difficult situation we are in, so my question to you is, what do we do about food?
SunDevil can always go work there, and Bripat, jc456, andaronjim, etc.... can all go work there, and bring their wives and brothers to work there too! J/k

Likely, the plant will have to add safety measures, full testing weekly, and pay more for New hires.....

That assumes there are any safety measures that will make a difference, given they already have tons of safety measures in place.

Now they might have to pay more for new hires, but likely not. There are tons of people that are willing to work for good pay like that. Especially given how many places are closed.
Not if they think they could die or pass it on to a family member who could die..... plus its nasty, hard work.... Why do you think the majority of workers are immigrants..... it isn't because Americans are lining up for the job.....

Combat pay, could lure some there to work, but safety measures would be money well spent and designing the line so they are 6ft apart, open a second shift to do it, if necessary, along with protective gear, plexiglass separation, and testing for covid weekly among employees and sending infected home, could make it 100 times safer than the conditions they were working under....imo

This is actually good to hear. The more people that realize their lives and their families lives are more important than money the better. The republicans involved in this should be shot at dawn for not helping the workers but we all know they prefer the tinkle down approach and to hell with human rights to work in a safe environment. What I dont get is where is OSHA in all this?

I understand the point you're making. It's a difficult situation we are in, so my question to you is, what do we do about food?
SunDevil can always go work there, and Bripat, jc456, andaronjim, etc.... can all go work there, and bring their wives and brothers to work there too! J/k

Likely, the plant will have to add safety measures, full testing weekly, and pay more for New hires.....

That assumes there are any safety measures that will make a difference, given they already have tons of safety measures in place.

Now they might have to pay more for new hires, but likely not. There are tons of people that are willing to work for good pay like that. Especially given how many places are closed.
Not if they think they could die or pass it on to a family member who could die..... plus its nasty, hard work.... Why do you think the majority of workers are immigrants..... it isn't because Americans are lining up for the job.....

Combat pay, could lure some there to work, but safety measures would be money well spent and designing the line so they are 6ft apart, open a second shift to do it, if necessary, along with protective gear, plexiglass separation, and testing for covid weekly among employees and sending infected home, could make it 100 times safer than the conditions they were working under....imo

First, as far as it being nasty hard work... not so much. I've read hundreds of reviews of working in JBS plants, and watched some videos of the work. It's not that nasty, and not that hard.

To be honest, it's not nearly that hard, and pays quite a bit more than my last job. My last job, I had to lift 70 lbs laser printers on skids, in the middle of August, in a non-temperature controlled warehouse, that was over 100 degrees.

They are inside a temperature controlled plant, lifting virtually nothing, and all they have to do is keep pace with the line.

Honestly, compared to those Mexicans that climb on people's roofs in July, and re-shingle the roof... not hard, not that nasty.

And again, based on the wage reports I've seen, they are paid more than I was doing my job, and I'd wager about the same as someone doing shingles (depending on where).

I suppose for someone whose worked in cushy government jobs, whose never put in a hard days work... yeah suppose from that persons perspective, it's hard nasty work. (I am not referring to anyone here, only generally).

But I have down real hard nasty work. I've worked really hard stuff. I can remember coming home from work, and running my fingers through my hair, and pulling out crystallized salt, from sweating all day. I had a job, that you never showered before going to work, because it was pointless. You always showered when you got home, so that you didn't soil the bed sheets with sweat salt, and odor.

So no, this isn't hard nasty work. Sorry, it's not.

Not if they think they could die or pass it on to a family member who could die

I've seen the protection policies put in place, and honestly, they seem greater than I would have expected. So at what level of new policies would you finally say it's time to get back to work?

And here's the kicker... when people go back to work, people will get infected, and some will die.
So what is your solution?

Sorry, but you can't spread people 6 feet apart. That is not going to happen. I've seen how the lines are setup.... there isn't enough space in the plant, to spread out a line over a mile long, so that everyone can be 6 feet apart.

Nor can you can spread the bath room stalls out 6 feet apart, nor the break rooms, nor dressing room area... and you seem to forget that the line itself is moving. You breath out, the germs get on the line itself, and carried down to every single person down from you.

What are you suggesting is not only impossible, but a waste of time. I've worked at manufacturing plants. What you are saying is impossible.

You would have to shut down the entire plant, and then rebuild the place from the ground up, and that would take at a minimum, two years. In the mean time, the entire country starves to death, and more people die in riots, than would have died from Corona.

Second shift

From what I understand they are already running a second shift.

Protection gear

Already have it.

Plexiglass shields

Already have it.

Daily testing, send infected home.

That's fine... I'm not opposed to it.

But it's not going to help either. We already know that one of the primary reasons this virus is so contagious, is specifically because it is contagious extremely quickly after being initially infected.

By the time you show up on a screening, you have already been infecting people for several days.

In fact the 6 feet apart rule isn't likely to help either. Research suggests that the 6-feet rule is basically just a placebo to keep people calm.

As I said before, this is not a disease that can be contained like say.... Ebola. Ebola can be contained.

Corona is more like the common cold. Trying to magically keep yourself safe, is more about the government telling you whatever they have to, in order to keep you calm. There is no evidence whatsoever, that countries like Sweden and Japan that did not enact drastic lock down measures, had significantly higher deaths.

In short, all of our attempts to stop this virus, have at the very very best estimates, only slightly slowed it down. But you are not going to avoid getting it, and you are not going to stop people from dying from it. It is going to happen.

Last edited:

First, as far as it being nasty hard work... not so much. I've read hundreds of reviews of working in JBS plants, and watched some videos of the work. It's not that nasty, and not that hard.

To be honest, it's not nearly that hard, and pays quite a bit more than my last job. My last job, I had to lift 70 lbs laser printers on skids, in the middle of August, in a non-temperature controlled warehouse, that was over 100 degrees.

They are inside a temperature controlled plant, lifting virtually nothing, and all they have to do is keep pace with the line.

Honestly, compared to those Mexicans that climb on people's roofs in July, and re-shingle the roof... not hard, not that nasty.

And again, based on the wage reports I've seen, they are paid more than I was doing my job, and I'd wager about the same as someone doing shingles (depending on where).

I suppose for someone whose worked in cushy government jobs, whose never put in a hard days work... yeah suppose from that persons perspective, it's hard nasty work. (I am not referring to anyone here, only generally).

But I have down real hard nasty work. I've worked really hard stuff. I can remember coming home from work, and running my fingers through my hair, and pulling out crystallized salt, from sweating all day. I had a job, that you never showered before going to work, because it was pointless. You always showered when you got home, so that you didn't soil the bed sheets with sweat salt, and odor.

I've seen the protection policies put in place, and honestly, they seem greater than I would have expected. So at what level of new policies would you finally say it's time to get back to work?

And here's the kicker... when people go back to work, people will get infected, and some will die.

Sorry, but you can't spread people 6 feet apart. That is not going to happen. I've seen how the lines are setup.... there isn't enough space in the plant, to spread out a line over a mile long, so that everyone can be 6 feet apart.

Nor can you can spread the bath room stalls out 6 feet apart, nor the break rooms, nor dressing room area... and you seem to forget that the line itself is moving. You breath out, the germs get on the line itself, and carried down to every single person down from you.

What are you suggesting is not only impossible, but a waste of time. I've worked at manufacturing plants. What you are saying is impossible.

You would have to shut down the entire plant, and then rebuild the place from the ground up, and that would take at a minimum, two years. In the mean time, the entire country starves to death, and more people die in riots, than would have died from Corona.

Second shift

Protection gear

Already have it.

Plexiglass shields

Already have it.

But it's not going to help either. We already know that one of the primary reasons this virus is so contagious, is specifically because it is contagious extremely quickly after being initially infected.

By the time you show up on a screening, you have already been infecting people for several days.

In fact the 6 feet apart rule isn't likely to help either. Research suggests that the 6-feet rule is basically just a placebo to keep people calm.

As I said before, this is not a disease that can be contained like say.... Ebola. Ebola can be contained.

Corona is more like the common cold. Trying to magically keep yourself safe, is more about ten government telling you whatever they have to, in order to keep you calm. There is no evidence whatsoever, that countries like Sweden and Japan that did not enact drastic lock down measures, had significantly higher deaths.

In short, all of our attempts to stop this virus, have at the very very best estimates, only slightly slowed it down. But you are not going to avoid getting it, and you are not going to stop people from dying from it. It is going to happen.
Some plants closed to add plexiglass shields after all the infections, they were not all retrofitted. The 6 ft separation on the line can be achieved by slowing down the ramp, and splitting workers in two shifts, add the clear hard plastic face shield on top of surgical masks.

Why don't Americans hold the majority jobs on the line there, if it pays as well as you say?

Second shift

Protection gear

Already have it.

Plexiglass shields

Already have it.

Corona is more like the common cold. Trying to magically keep yourself safe, is more about ten government telling you whatever they have to, in order to keep you calm. There is no evidence whatsoever, that countries like Sweden and Japan that did not enact drastic lock down measures, had significantly higher deaths.

Some plants closed to add plexiglass shields after all the infections, they were not all retrofitted. The 6 ft separation on the line can be achieved by slowing down the ramp, and splitting workers in two shifts, add the clear hard plastic face shield on top of surgical masks.

Why don't Americans hold the majority jobs on the line there, if it pays as well as you say?
Care, there are a lot of tough, nasty jobs and tough, nasty places to work, and there will always be people who are willing to do them. It's honest work. I know women and men who have worked their whole adult lives in a godawful sardine canning factory that you and I would rather starve than work in. Seriously. But it's honest work, it puts extra money in the grocery account, and it's what's available to them. I have heard the stockyards are a vile place to work as well. The industrial scale chicken farms ? Oh God. You can't clean up every miserable nasty job there is. Yes, safety measures should be taken, like plexiglass shields between workers on the line. Those are manageable. But Andylusion is right--the nature of the beast is what it is. There is only so much that can be done. It isn't that no one cares. It is because it is not realistic. The six foot rule isn't going to stop the germ from spreading--masks will, to some degree, and taking temps at the door. Those precautions are already in place. Otherwise, the awful truth is that this Virus is going to spread around in places where a lot of people congregate and in order to keep basic necessities coming in, we can't shut down everything. People gotta eat.

This is actually good to hear. The more people that realize their lives and their families lives are more important than money the better. The republicans involved in this should be shot at dawn for not helping the workers but we all know they prefer the tinkle down approach and to hell with human rights to work in a safe environment. What I dont get is where is OSHA in all this?

I would love to see trump and mcconnnell both get on those meat processing lines for a 40 hour work week. For them to work under the conditions they want those workers to work in and without any way to hold the owners responsible if they get the virus. Plus not allow their insurance to cover them if they get the virus.

I haven no idea where OSHA is in all this but it's trump's OSHA so I wouldn't expect them to be of any help with this.

Second shift

Protection gear

Already have it.

Plexiglass shields

Already have it.

Care, there are a lot of tough, nasty jobs and tough, nasty places to work, and there will always be people who are willing to do them. It's honest work. I know women and men who have worked their whole adult lives in a godawful sardine canning factory that you and I would rather starve than work in. Seriously. But it's honest work, it puts extra money in the grocery account, and it's what's available to them. I have heard the stockyards are a vile place to work as well. The industrial scale chicken farms ? Oh God. You can't clean up every miserable nasty job there is. Yes, safety measures should be taken, like plexiglass shields between workers on the line. Those are manageable. But Andylusion is right--the nature of the beast is what it is. There is only so much that can be done. It isn't that no one cares. It is because it is not realistic. The six foot rule isn't going to stop the germ from spreading--masks will, to some degree, and taking temps at the door. Those precautions are already in place. Otherwise, the awful truth is that this Virus is going to spread around in places where a lot of people congregate and in order to keep basic necessities coming in, we can't shut down everything. People gotta eat.
It is very important to keep them open, more than most of us realize, for the entire food distribution system, for grocers and the system for restaurants...

Those at a high risk of dying if they catch it, will just have to quit and find another job....

But they should be able to collect unemployment t, till they find another job.

Head visors, would be a good addition...

The virus will not just stay with them, the in town people, will get it too, the nursing homes there will get it too, the small hospitals will be overwhelmed..... as long as they plan for it,

maybe just a few grandparents in town will die.... And just another 19 meat plant workers will die and the 38 would be it?

This breaks ALL OSHA laws, but oh well, the rest of us, gotta eat.

COVID kills one out of every 5.5k people but you keep on lying. That’s what you do best.

Still hiding under that bed, Assfaceias? LOL.

COVID-19...boo

I would love to see trump and mcconnnell both get on those meat processing lines for a 40 hour work week. For them to work under the conditions they want those workers to work in and without any way to hold the owners responsible if they get the virus. Plus not allow their insurance to cover them if they get the virus.

I haven no idea where OSHA is in all this but it's trump's OSHA so I wouldn't expect them to be of any help with this.
Whoever is running OSHA must have been threatened by the Drumpf mafia...I mean administration.

Okay, so quit.

I’m sure some of those many millions out of work will be glad to take a new job.

So what is your plan? Everyone stays at home, and we all die?

Really, what is your plan? Listen, Corona is never going away. There will not be a magic moment, where it just .... disappears from the planet.

So, what would you suggest? We all stay home, and have mass starvation across the country, and then instead of some dying, then everyone dies?

Really, explain your solution.
These idiots never have an explanation. They will try to blame it on President Trump, yet can’t explain who is responsible for the pandemic infecting every nation on the planet.

Forum List

Back