US Losing The Race To Engage Muslims

NATO AIR said:
I think what Feingold is saying is we need to think smarter in how we're dealing with developing nations, as far as what sort of development projects we embark on, what kind of investments we make, etc etc. The Chinese are beating us at our own old game in places in Asia & Africa, and it needs to stop.

This has nothing to do with being more tolerant of Islam or any crap like that...Its all about connecting with what people need, which is mainly EFFECTIVE rule of law that puts food on the table and jobs for them to work. We don't need to mess with their culture necessarily, just help improve their governments and how their governments work for them.

I hear what YOU are saying, not sure at all that is what Feingold is saying. In any case, we have very rocky relations with Latin America as a result of Monroe Doctrine and Roosevelt Corallary. Now we should try the same in Africa and Asia? You think the EU/UN would allow that? :huh:

Kathianne said:
I hear what YOU are saying, not sure at all that is what Feingold is saying. In any case, we have very rocky relations with Latin America as a result of Monroe Doctrine and Roosevelt Corallary. Now we should try the same in Africa and Asia? You think the EU/UN would allow that? :huh:

I think if we fully fund the MCA, as well as embark on a global push for more open, less corrupt government in developing nations, we can do a lot of good without stepping on the people's toes who count (the people, not the EU or UN)

I also think if we take a very energetic lead on conflict prevention assistance (helping the AU to help itself,to not repeat darfur in another country), we can get better relations (as we have been getting already) with important nations both large and small on that continent.

We must continue to do what we've done in Ukraine, Georgia, Serbia, etc etc.... pushing via peaceful and quiet means (up until the revolution starts) effective regime change in Central Asia and the rest of the old Soviet Bloc states that face problems. Everything can't be a war like Iraq and Afghanistan, and to Bush's credit, he is the first president since Reagan to realize that and make it work.

We have bad relations with Latin America because of periodic neglect, like what's happening now. About the only nation we are really paying attention to is Columbia, and that is a mistake. They are our neighbors, and as people in these nations have gone to forgive people who led military juntas and other "excesses" of the Cold War, so can we and they move on past mistakes made by both sides. This is a Miami thing for me, I hear whenever I go back as soon as political discussions erupt good, factual proof about how the US does not do "enough" in Latin America. We're getting better, but we could do a lot more (not with money as much as knowing when to spend it, when to hold it back, when to invest and when to lean on governments to listen to the people and not to the special interests who have held much of latin america captive for a century or more)

wolvie, that's the isley brothers.. one of the greatest R&B/soul groups of all time. you might enjoy their music, discovering them and their substantial catalog of hits and hidden wonders was one of the few highlights of my 2004.

NATO AIR said:
This has nothing to do with being more tolerant of Islam or any crap like that...Its all about connecting with what people need, which is mainly EFFECTIVE rule of law that puts food on the table and jobs for them to work. We don't need to mess with their culture necessarily, just help improve their governments and how their governments work for them.
Explain how "connecting with people" will promote the "effective rule of law" in the Wahhabi culture of Islam. Whose law? How will connecting with people in Kashmir prevent the Hindus from being attacked? Who will the Russians connect with in Chechnya? The point is that radical Islam, and seemingly much of mainstream Islam, wants no connection with us, or anyone else. It is their way, their rule of 7th century law, or homicide bombs and gunfire.

NATO AIR said:
I think if we fully fund the MCA, as well as embark on a global push for more open, less corrupt government in developing nations, we can do a lot of good without stepping on the people's toes who count (the people, not the EU or UN)

I also think if we take a very energetic lead on conflict prevention assistance (helping the AU to help itself,to not repeat darfur in another country), we can get better relations (as we have been getting already) with important nations both large and small on that continent.

We must continue to do what we've done in Ukraine, Georgia, Serbia, etc etc.... pushing via peaceful and quiet means (up until the revolution starts) effective regime change in Central Asia and the rest of the old Soviet Bloc states that face problems. Everything can't be a war like Iraq and Afghanistan, and to Bush's credit, he is the first president since Reagan to realize that and make it work.

We have bad relations with Latin America because of periodic neglect, like what's happening now. About the only nation we are really paying attention to is Columbia, and that is a mistake. They are our neighbors, and as people in these nations have gone to forgive people who led military juntas and other "excesses" of the Cold War, so can we and they move on past mistakes made by both sides. This is a Miami thing for me, I hear whenever I go back as soon as political discussions erupt good, factual proof about how the US does not do "enough" in Latin America. We're getting better, but we could do a lot more (not with money as much as knowing when to spend it, when to hold it back, when to invest and when to lean on governments to listen to the people and not to the special interests who have held much of latin america captive for a century or more)

I can go along with that. I'm all for trying anything that can lead to some calm, anywhere. We have to use our influence with places like Darfur, but we also need to start pushing a bit on those who are trying to take away our influence-hard.

onedomino said:
Explain how "connecting with people" will promote the "effective rule of law" in the Wahhabi culture of Islam. Whose law? How will connecting with people in Kashmir prevent the Hindus from being attacked? Who will the Russians connect with in Chechnya? The point is that radical Islam, and seemingly much of mainstream Islam, wants no connection with us, or anyone else. It is their way, their rule of 7th century law, or homicide bombs and gunfire.

Well, those are the places that have been condemned by war, dire corruption and oppression to Wahhabi/fundamentalist culture/law. Our mission now must be to contain these areas as best as possible, while doing our utmost to prevent struggling democracies (struggling with bad corruption, considerable unemployment, outdated economic systems, extreme poverty, failing social services) from sliding so far down that their people will accept anything to fix the problems..anything likely being a fundamentalist strain of Islamic government.

So for example, we must promote open, effective government in nations like Nigeria, Mali, Indonesia, Tanzania, Kenya, Chad etc etc. We must promote and invest in open markets to allow businesses to grow and prosper, we must invest in better ways to help the government fix and (in some cases, build) vital services like medical care and education, we must promote and invest in the rule of law, strengthening police forces to counter corruption and lawlessness.

Part 1 of this is full and total debt relief of all Cold War era debts.
Part II of this is the MCA.
Part III of this is increasing the size of the Foreign Service while revamping it to fit the 21st century and America's needs.
Part IV is sticking with it, not changing it just because we have a new president who isn't briefed on it and negates the gains made because of ignorance.

Pres. Bush has us on the right path, but he can and I think he will do better.

wolvie20m said:
Push? How would we do this?
The 'push' is for our so called 'allies' that seem bound and determined to mitigate US influence.

wolvie20m said:
Adopt a stand alone policy?
The 'with us or against' us was trite, but there is truth to it. That needs to be brought to bear.

NATO AIR said:
Part 1 of this is full and total debt relief of all Cold War era debts.
I am not in favor of blanket relief of "Cold War era" debt. No debt relief to counties that are not democracies. Moreover, certain countries, like Turkey for example, can afford to pay theit debt. Many of the countries that would have their debt relieved vote against us in the UN everyday. No debt relief to totalitarians and no debt relief to anti-US countries in the UN.

onedomino said:
I am not in favor of blanket relief of "Cold War era" debt. No debt relief to counties that are not democracies. Moreover, certain countries, like Turkey for example, can afford to pay theit debt. Many of the countries that would have their debt relieved vote against us in the UN everyday. No debt relief to totalitarians and no debt relief to anti-US countries in the UN.

Yea, I have to go along with onedomino on this. We have to get smarter about who we're helping. Actually, I think other countries would respect us more. Consider Egypt, how much do they get? What have they been doing?

onedomino said:

I can agree, but it is vastly unfair (and counterproductive) that for more than a decade now we have been forcing struggling democracies who endured dicatorships and authoritarian governments in the Cold War to pay off those government's debts that they had nothing to do with it.

NATO AIR said:
I can agree, but it is vastly unfair (and counterproductive) that for more than a decade now we have been forcing struggling democracies who endured dicatorships and authoritarian governments in the Cold War to pay off those government's debts that they had nothing to do with it.
Also could turn them farther away from us..

Forum List

Back